back to article IT'S OFFICIAL: Hipster era is OVER – sorry, beanie boiz...

An automated telephone survey organization based in Raleigh, North Carolina, apparently having nothing better to do or merely seeking publicity – in this case, successfully – put its finger on the pulse of public sentiment and discovered, as they headlined their results, "Americans So Over Hipsters." Public Policy Polling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    WTF?

What about the religious nutheads?

"This is so unkind. It's picking on people because of their beliefs and their tastes. That's so unAmerican," wrote one.

I know many Atheist Americans who continually get picked on (especially those in the South)

In fact, anyone who isn't a "True american christian" often gets picked on. That's so American

1. Don Jefe

Re: What about the religious nutheads?

I would hazard to guess that those people who get picked on in the South because of their feelings of Atheism probably share their opinions too much down there. In effect picking on people who don't share their beliefs. I grew up in the most Southern part of the South where racism is still rampant and women are a half step above property and never, not one single time in four+ decades, did I hear a proper Southerner start a religion based argument. They just respond (poorly) when someone insults or belittles their beliefs.

1. Franklin
        Thumb Down

Your experience differs from mine. I lived in Atlanta, Georgia for three years, and in that time lost count of the number of times I heard folks complaining first about atheists (who are actually secretly Muslims, one very sincere chap in a grocery store solemnly swore). Not to mention the aforementioned Muslims, and anyone else not deemed sufficiently Christian. Often on the basis of the person in question's dress and/or skin color, I'm sorry to say.

Made me quite happy to leave.

1. 404

Atlanta is not Southern

Most folks, as they cross the Tennessee/Georgia line, say "We're leaving the country". Georgia sucks verra muchly and Atlanta.... well Atlanta... to quote Angry Viet Nam Vet In Wheelchair: "I've seen some things, I wouldn't recommend it"...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

The 21st century is only a skin deep veneer in the deep south. In reality they're still living in medieval times in their heads. The bible bashers have the exact same inflexible unquestioning mentality as muslim fundamentalists in the arab world and are equally as unable to tolerate criticism or anyone not cut from the same cookie cutter identikit mold as them. Different religion , same primitive BS.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I guess proper Southerners have that in common with true Scotsmen...

1. John 62

Much of the population of the South USA (particularly hillbillies*) is descended from Scots-Irish emigrants.

* Hillbillies - fans of King William III of the United Kingdom and Prince of Orange.

3. g e
        Holmes

Maybe they're just not 'seen at church' on Sunday...

2. dlc.usa
      Coat

Hmmm... Am I the only one around here to notice how those self-identifying Christians are in turn picked on by non-self-identifying Christians, even to the point of being subjected to hate crimes (violently objected to by some non-self-identifying Christians) by some non-self-identifying Christians?

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

@dlc.usa Re: What about the religious nutheads?

how many times do atheists go door to door trying to preach atheism to homeowners?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg posters?

If World+Dog is giving hipsters the shove-off, then how will the El Reg forums survive their loss? Certainly this will mean that this place will only be left with 3 posters and a bored moderator looking for work.

1. Rukario
      Devil

Re: El Reg posters?

You and I obviously aren't reading the same Reg forums. Any positive mention of the hipster cult results in mass downvotings; any negative mention gets upvoted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

"You and I obviously aren't reading the same Reg forums. Any positive mention of the hipster cult results in mass downvotings; any negative mention gets upvoted."

Lets experiment:

Yay, Hipsters.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

Hipsters Suck.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Boffin

Control.

I don't care about hipsters either way.

2. Daniel B.
      Facepalm

Hipster posters?

I'd think that any smidge of hipster culture would get mass down votes. Especially if it involves Hipsters defending Apple and/or Jobs.

Arrogance, one of the Hipster hallmarks, is something mostly downvoted here as well!

1. g e
        Trollface

Re: Hipster posters?

Are hipsters really hipsters?

Or is hipster just a euphemism for appleist... the traits seems broadly similar - arrogance, self-importance, supercilious nature, self-obsessed, conviction that their way is the only way to go and a closet terror of how they might not be perceived as desirable peers by others

yeah yeah, coat got, flame on, etc, etc

1. Rukario

Re: Hipster posters?

@g e

> Or is hipster just a euphemism for appleist

Correct. (At least on these forums.)

3. Captain DaFt

Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Well, I'm definitly not a hipster then. I didn't even know they still made that swill!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pabst Blue Ribbon?

As well as drinking PBR, hipsters all seem to smoke the same brand of cigarettes - American Spirit, particularly the menthol ones.

2. 404

Re: Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Sure it is - in your grocery case right next to Old Millswill and Hamms.

<need a puke icon..>

4. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Joke

How did the hipster burn his tongue?

He drank coffee before it was cool.

5. Dana W
    Meh

If they are over, how come I can't get a cup of coffee without bumping into two or three of the dickheads?

The best tribute to hipsters ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA

1. Eddy Ito

Because someone has to serve coffee and the hipster bonus is that it secretly drives their parents crazy that they don't have a real job and are just wasting their lives even though the parents pretend to be supportive of the hip little ingrate.

Oh, nice vid.

2. Aldous
      Flame

That and Nathan Barley. Caught the whole Hipster wankery in the bud. Do you think charlie brooker and chris morris get to go around saying "i was making fun of hipsters before it was cool" :)

i have no issues with how people want to live but do not have a superiority complex because you think your identikit personality is "superior" to anyone else's. i.e "i like x band, you have probably never heard of them" "x band used to be cool but now they are too mainstream" etc.

Also WTF is the attraction to a fixie bike other than being a moron? "yeah freewheeling technology is what the corporations use to control your mind, 19th century tech is where it is at" usually tweeted via a corporate made iPad/android slab. I can understand anachronisms, if someone wants a pocket watch on a chain then thats fine but fixie bikes are completely useless and backwards(like most hipsters when you think about it)

1. Fihart

@ Aldous: It goes in cycles

The fixie thing comes from bike messengers, a few of whom were amateur cycle racers. They'd traditionally use "Routier" type training bikes with fixed wheels like track bikes -- and drop handlebars for efficiency. The latter are unsuited to Central London traffic where keeping your wits about you is more important than aerodynamics.

Older Londoners like me who still ride touring bikes bought in the 1980s with drops and 10 speed gears, unneeded on relatively flat terrain, are an anachronism.

So the hip bikes make a sort of sense -- but please, the beanies, boy-beards and the hanging crotch drainpipe trouser ?

Nathan Barley/Jason Bradbury now there's a coincidence !

1. Dave 126

Re: @ Aldous: It goes in cycles

Re Nathan Barley, trashbat.co.ck is still up! It features Barley's phone of choice, the Wasp T12 a 'speechtool' that I'll now be citing whenever someone complains about modern mobile phones being boring ("This device was advertised as being exceptionally loud, with several hugely annoying ringtones, a giant key for the number 5 (allegedly the most commonly used digit), a powerful projector, a business card printer and miniature turntables for scratching MP3s. ")

Most of the rest of the site is a piss-take of Banksy.

When asked about a second series, one of the co-creators said "We could have done it a couple of years ago, but there are just too many people like Nathan Barley these day"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://hipsterhitler.com/ is a little subtler. (And was apparently mistaken for a real tribute site, by some neonazis.)

AC, because I started a sentence with "and".

1. Dave 126

Hipster Hitler? I was expecting to see the lead actor from the Springtime for Hitler musical, from Mel Brooks' The Producers!

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

When I were a lad,

Hipsters were Jeans worn on the 'hips'....

Coat with a pair of Loon Pants on underneath.....

1. Spoonsinger

Re: Hipsters were Jeans worn on the 'hips'....

Ahh, the good old days. Now I tend to wear them over the top of the belly with a substantial belt. ho hum.

7. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Well bugger me a fashion trend is coming to an end!

Well call those bears that are squatting in the woods and those Popes that are not in the least bit confused to find themselves at Mass.

Isn't this the point, that fashion trends only last at most, just a generation? Christ Almighty! Sometimes I think I made a big mistake dropping out of college when I could have had an easy ride in certain academic circles, coming up with surveys and reports that take 300 pages to tell everyone the bleedin' obvious!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No questions about smartphones?

We could have finally solved the mystery of how quickly hipsters are switching from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy.

Instead we have questions about PBR?? I guess I must not know any actual hipsters if drinking PBR is one of the requirements. If I went to the right bar I might find some PBR drinkers, but they'd all be over 70.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If we are over hipsters can we start by withdrawing all government funding for Silicon Roundabout?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...exactly what a "hipster" is?

Continuously Unloved Nerdy Tosser

11. meh1010
    Happy

"I was not a hipster before it was cool"

12. Solly
    Happy

I thought the vid was going to be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk

13. TheOtherHobbes

Hipsters won't be over

until MP3s become the new vinyl.

14. Flakey

I'm just too old

to be a hipster and I knew this the moment I read PBR and thought ' PBR street gang...this is Almighty...over' and didnt have a clue it was a beer.

1. Don Jefe

Re: I'm just too old

PBR Me ASAP

As the tag line on their trucks used to say.

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Flame

Re: I'm just too old

Call in the airstrike.

15. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
  16. Moosh

I'm surprised even 16% viewed them positively, seing as its been used as an insult for years.

It would be like asking people if they have positive veiws of dickheads, or pricks, or assholes.

17. HippyFreetard

Hipsters

Hehe, there's always been something that's "hip", and it's about the zeitgeist, and the counterculture. Someone makes a statement, it's understood by a few, and the rest start dressing up like them.

For instance, 50's Rockers wore leather jackets because they rode motorbikes. It's a safety feature. Because rockers were "cool", leather jackets became popular, even among people with no motorbike. The rave movement of the 90's shifted a lot of counterculture thought into the mainstream anyway. Fight Club, the Matrix, were all part of the normalisation of those things. 70's show, Weeds, all show a new modern teenager, a reason-aware teenager, internet, who smokes pot AND studies hard.

Which means that nowadays, our counterculture is actually mainstream. Being "hip" can no longer be associated with a dress-code, or a genre of music, or an individual drug. It's given the hipsters - those who like to "look" cool - nothing to be.

So they revel in individuality - not their own individuality, which is that which makes a society strong, but in the originality of past heroes, seeking obscure music and being retro just for the retro's sake.

This topic is closed for new posts.