back to article Google pools cloud storage

Google has changed its approach to cloud storage, with individuals and business users of its apps now offered a pool of storage rather than silos dedicated to different services. Announced in an inevitable pair of blog posts, the Chocolate Factory is calling the new arrangement “unified storage”. Storage wonks wondering why …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much is 100GB on Amazon, retard?

Why compare 5 with 100?

1. Alan 6

Re: How much is 100GB on Amazon, retard?

Considering your massively impolite post I'm not sure why I'm bothering to respond, but I will.

The Amazon price is $50.00 per YEAR for 100gb, so a little cheaper than the 12 x $4.99 = $59.88 for the same capacity from Google.

That OK for you fuckwit?

2. Ken Y-N
    Thumb Up

Google+ Photos used to be Picasa

I use the Picasa desktop app as a backup tool for my photos - anything less than about 1600 x 1200 gets stored for "free". My backups are now privately accessible through my G+ account.

1. N13L5

Re: Google+ Photos used to be Picasa

yeah, I guess the author of this article wasn't aware of Picasa, which is indeed widely used...

Not sure the forced rebranding helped Picasa, but I guess G+ is the only thing Google really cares to grow.

Just for clarification: storing pictures larger than 1600x1200 is still "free", it just counts against your total storage limit. I thought I'd add that, cause I find 1600x1200 to be an unacceptable resolution as a 'backup'. Its fine to show pictures to people on your handy or tablet, of course...

3. Paul J Turner

There's always one! ;-)

https://plus.google.com/photos/109078402289595845991/albums

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's always one! ;-)

Shame on you! I was expecting a rick roll.

1. Ken Y-N
        Paris Hilton

Re: There's always one! ;-)

I was expecting pr0n! :-(

4. ratfox

Makes sense I guess

With services becoming more integrated, it is probably a pain to figure out which quota files should count against…

5. Richy Freeway
    Thumb Up

Google+ for near instant automatic photo backup

It's the way to go, just set Google+ to automagically upload my photos when on charge and WiFi. Then I don't have to worry if my house burns down and my backups taken via SweetHome to my loft server go up in smoke.

Already sling Google a few dollars a month for 25GB storage.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't good old Kim Dotcom give you..

50GiB for SFA?

7. frank ly

Nice :)

With Insync free Linux beta and my two gmail accounts, I now have 30GB of synchronised cloud storage.

8. BlinkenLights

Photo Backup

I am still searching for the best option to backup 40,000+ (nearly 200GB) of photos.

I would happily pay to increase my Skydrive storage to 200GB, but they don't want my money (125GB maximum).

1. KjetilS

Re: Photo Backup

DropBox might be an alternative?

$200/year for 200GB, or $500 for 500GB

2. Craigness

Re: Photo Backup

Buy a Pixel and you get a terabyte free for 3 years. And a Pixel.

9. ad47uk

so what happens to the storage if you are not registered for Google+? I don't really use Google stuff much anyway, just the contacts in Gmail to sync to my phone and the calender and that is it. I don't really use cloud storage, got a couple of documents stored in Dropbox that are a few KB.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like