Feeds

back to article It's official: Nokia's Verizon Lumia 928 is here

Nokia's long-rumoured exclusive phone for Verizon, the Lumia 928, has been officially announced. It's really a Lumia 920 with a more tapered body, an AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) screen, and a proper, grown-up Xenon camera flash. It's also lost some weight: at 161.5g, it's a fair bit lighter than the 920' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

MIc

Re: So Fugly it's mother would feed it with a catapult

except for: http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2013/03/21/windows-phone-8-nominated-for-design-of-the-year/

and other design awards it has won.

You can keep you vanilla anti-Ms crap to yourself. Its quite boring.

Bronze badge

Could someone confirm that Eadon's Silver Commentard status is purely down to posting rabid bollocks on any MS story? Because that sounds like an abuse of the system to me.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Can it be flashed with Android? But then you'd have to scrape off the mark-of-the-retard Windows logo.

Anyway, at this rate it's not just that which foghorns its owner as an embarrassing loser - unless they act fast, the very word Nokia alone will, too.

Silver badge
Coat

"Could someone confirm that Eadon's Silver Commentard status is purely down to posting rabid bollocks on any MS story? Because that sounds like an abuse of the system to me."

I suspect Eadon has received so many down votes for his rabid bollocks postings that the thumb-counter has wrapped around from INT_MIN to INT_MAX and the system mistakenly thinks he's got 32000 or so thumbs-up!

Anonymous Coward

Careful or I'll get the stick out again.....

Bronze badge

Rightttt, cos every android phone is better than this one yeah?? Hmm don't think so.

Bronze badge

So shocked that your account has not been disabled for trolling, wonder where else you do this. People who make unjustified comments like you do on a regular basis really need to find a better hobby, life is too short!!

Although I have to say...

I'm on holiday with a friend who is a non nonsense ex-army type etc. Last time we were away he had a new windows phone. We're away again this weekend and I asked him where is phone was and he said it had been returned as he couldn't get on with it. He now has an old blackberry - no nonsense, works as a phone and he can read messages and emails.

For him to bother with returning a phone it must have been a pain - I'll ask tomorrow what the problem was exactly. I know it's a sample of one but it might have happened to others as well.

Anonymous Coward

The "Commentard status" is only based on the number of posts you have committed, nothing about quality, and I think it is as well.

Silver badge

"The "Commentard status" is only based on the number of posts you have committed, nothing about quality, and I think it is as well."

The bronze badge is based on the number of posts over the last year.

The silver badge is based on the number of thumbs-up (2000 I think).

The gold one I think is based on cool-dudeness, services rendered by useful postings and generally being liked by the mods.

Bronze badge

How is it ugly? It just looks like any other modern phone.

Anonymous Coward

RE: Rightttt, cos every android phone is better than this one yeah?? Hmm don't think so.

No.

But they (Nokia) have a perfectly good 808 Pureview with Symbian and a 41mpixel camera-module which they took out of the stores! WHY!

They could have kept selling that model alongside their lumia-crap. Because

a) that 808 is the only affordable 41mpixel camera IN THE WORLD!

b) is the only model with BOTH high quality camera-module AND xenon-flash AND LED-videolight!

c) is the only smartphone today available that can do full 2-way call recording out of the box

c) has STILL the best sunlight readable screen on any device

d) is about the loudest phone I've ever heard. Which is perfect for a partially deaf and mute nerd like me

Yet there's NO store that have these unique phones anymore. I want THAT 808PV instead of this 928!!!

Anonymous Coward

"Can it be flashed with Android?"

No Windows Phones are very secure - you can't root them by visiting a website like with Android....

...there's just a small (known) issue with IE breaking after visiting certain websites, so tabs no longer work and every time you open the browser it starts with a fresh sessioon until you do a full reset or OS update.

Other than that I love Lumias, and that's what I'll be getting next upgrade. Unfortunately I ran over mine with a forklift - it didn't survive - so I'm on my old Pre3 until July next year.

Don't scrimp on handset insurance, kids :(

Sounds you're in bed with Steve Jobs.

Definition of NECROPHILIA

: obsession with and usually erotic interest in or stimulation by corpses.

Can we get this with Ubuntu sometime soon?

Well, I'd consider a purchase with Android, but Ubuntu would be preferable...

Thumb Up

Xenon flash?

Oh thank christ one company hasn't forgotten how to put one of those on a phone. It's one of the things I miss the most from my 2006 Sony Ericcson K800i - that and the sliding lens cover.

I might be tempted back to Nokia for the first time since the 3310.

Bronze badge

Re: Xenon flash?

My HTC Mozart had a xenon flash, I thought it would be good, being a bit of a photographer and knowing that a proper flash helps freeze motion as well as providing lighting. Turns out that the phone still took pictures that look like they were taken on a phone and the xenon flash couldn't double as a torch. My current phone has an LED flash and whilst it's not a particularly great flash, it's a very useful torch.

Bronze badge

Re: Xenon flash?

Let's wait for the GSMArena test. High-end Nokias do tend to have good cameras whose results don't look like mobile phone pics.

Silver badge

You've got red on you.

They could have chosen a different Windows Phone colour scheme for their photos.

Does anyone else see that much red on a screen and guess that it's a Virgin branded phone?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: You've got red on you.

D'oh - should have checked the Verizon website before posting - red seems to be their colour too!

As Bob Vistakin asked, can it be flashed with Android? If it can then you would finish up with a descent phone.

Bronze badge

First come up with something original. Second come up with something original. Third you are wrong.....such a lame comment.

Personally I cannot wait for the EOS later this year, potentially a 41mp sensor (not that size is everything but...)

Silver badge
Linux

It wouldn't surprise me to find out there actually was a totally compatible Android hardware layer underneath all this. Once the shareholders see sense, as they appear to be doing recently, Android handsets will then just be a case of applying decent software to the great hardware Nokia is known for plus some case retooling.

Clearly, Elop is standing on a burning platform now so hasn't that long to go.

Anonymous Coward

These come with Windows Phone 8 - which is much better than Android - more efficient and responsive, faster to complete every day tasks, better maps and nav, integrated social networking, an MS Office client and zero Malware....

Silver badge
Unhappy

1280 x 768 on a 4 1/2" phone screen...

just goes to show how pants standard laptop screens are with their similar pixel counts!

Silver badge
Facepalm

I see that Eadon got on first, oh well.......

......that's another thread down the khazi.

This topic is closed for new posts.