back to article Google formally recognises Palestine: Puts it on the virtual map

Google has waded into the Middle East's most intractable conflict by recognising Palestine as an independent state. On 1 May, the advertising giant wiped the term Palestinian Territories from its localised search page, replacing it with Palestine. It follows a UN decision in October to name Palestine a non-member, observer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

About time

Well done Google.

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: About time

Yeah now they just need to release an app or map view than can show you in real time the land being stolen, sorry being settled by its rightful (as in might makes right) owners.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another example of religious and political intolerance mucking up ordinary peoples lives.

Recognition of Palestine as a country is long overdue.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: AC

".....Recognition of Palestine as a country is long overdue." It was going to be recognised in 1948 by the UN, along with the original State of Israel, all part of the UN Partition Plan, only the Arabs decided that stopping the Jews having any land was more important than recognising the State of Palestine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jews already had land there.

2. Chad H.

...Which all in all excuses Israels foot dragging of the peace process.

No, wait, it doesn't.

At least now they're being honest about a 2 state solution being dead.

FAIL

Re: Chad H. Re: AC

"...Which all in all excuses Israels foot dragging of the peace process......" Oh dear, some forget to give Chabdul access to the Web so he could actually learn some facts. Ignoring Hamas, who say they won't deal with Israel but just want to destroy it, shall we review progress with the "moderate" PNA (that being the marketing revamp for the old and terrorist PLO)? Bibi offers unconditional talks but Abbas insists on a settler development freeze. In August 2009 Bubi then freezes settler development, which is described by Hamas as a "dangerous move" (dangerous to Hamas as it could lead to peace). In December Bibi extends the freeze for a ten month period and the PNA simply looks for more reasons not to negotiate. At the end of the freeze, Israel goes back to building settlements having shown that the PNA has no real intention of ever negotiating, but gormless sheeple like Chabdul somehow manage to put that through their reality distortion devices and declare that Israel is dragging its feet on negotiating.

This is even more silly when you consider how the PLO have a long history of throwing away any chance of peace, as proven at Camp David in 2000, when Barak offered Arafat just about everything the PLO was demanding, but did Arafat stay and negotiate? No, he ran back home to start the Second Intifada, the First having been such good news for peace, not.

If it wasn't so tragic the self-deluding stupidity of the sheeple would be classic comedy material.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The ISO made the first move

I think Google are following the ISO.

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_3166-1_newsletter_vi-14_name_change_state_of_palestine.pdf

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What Google did was merely reflect the truth.

If the International community recognises the existence of the country, then it basically exists.

Recognising a fact is not "getting involved politically" with anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Interesting too how a president can be more honest and straight as an ex president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtC_qzHVM4

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: skelband

"What Google did was merely reflect the truth......" LOL! What Google did wasn't about "truth" or any other noble cause, it was about ensuring business in Arab countries.

1. Craigness

@Mat you could also say that's the reason they recognise Israel. Palestine has existed for centuries but Google didn't always recognise this fact - why? It was named checked by the Crusaders.

Facepalm

Re: Craigness Re: skelband

"@Mat you could also say that's the reason they recognise Israel....." Agreed, I'm pretty sure the only reason Google "recognises" Israel is beacuse it wants to do business there, not because they are overwhelming supporters of Zionism.

".....Palestine has existed for centuries but Google didn't always recognise this fact - why?....." Because it is not a country, it is an area, much like Southern Europe or Central America.

".....It was named checked by the Crusaders." It was created by the Romans as a new designation for the Jewish empire they conquered, as a means of imposing their will on the Jews. There has never been a country called Palestine or a Palestinian people, both are propaganda concepts of the Arabs intent on seizing all the land in the area formerly known as the Palestine Mandate. To the Crusaders, the area they refered to as Palestine encompassed modern Israel, the Lebanon, the West Bank and Jordan, Gaza, a chuk of Egypt and most of Iraq. You might agree that a lot has changed since the Crusades.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Craigness skelband

@Matt Bryant

"Mandate Palestine" ?

"The Council of the League of Nations:

Whereas the Principal Allied Powers have agreed, for the purpose of giving effect to the provisions of Article 22 of the Covenant of the League of Nations, to entrust to a Mandatory selected by the said Powers the administration of the territory of Palestine, which formerly belonged to the Turkish Empire, within such boundaries as may be fixed by them...."

"The Mandatory shall be responsible for placing the country under such political, administrative and economic conditions as will secure the establishment of the Jewish national home, as laid down in the preamble, and the development of self-governing institutions, and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race and religion."

Ah such long lost and hopeful times were the 1920s......

Facepalm

Re: graeme leggett Re: Craigness skelband

"....,and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race and religion...." Please note that says "all the inhabitants", meaning Palestinian Arabs (both Sunni and Shia), Palestinian Jews, Palestinian Christians (of many nominations), plus sundry other groups (Alawlites, Druze, etc.), and does not say "only to the satisfaction of the Muslim Arabs across the whole Middle East".

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: graeme leggett Craigness skelband

@Matt, very true, that's why I included that bit. How are Palestinian civil and religious rights doing under Israel at the moment?

Facepalm

Re: graeme leggett Craigness skelband

".....How are Palestinian civil and religious rights doing under Israel at the moment?" Israeli Arabs have full citizenship, can vote in Israeli elections, own land and even be elected to seats in the Israeli Knesset. Sites of Islamic worship in Israel, such as the Dome of the Rock, are not only given over to Islamic control but are protected by Israeli law and the Israeli police. Mulsims living in Israel are free to worship as they wish. By comparison, no Jews can live in the West Bank or Gaza, the stated Fakeistinian plan is to remove them all - that's called ethnic cleansing, BTW. That is despite the historic Jewish presence and continued residence for thousands of years (there was even a Jewish quarter in Gaza City until 1948). Jews are forbidden by law to buy land in either the West Bank or Gaza. Jewish shrines and historic sites in the West Bank are often vandalised and the PNA attempts to restrict access whenever they can. They've also started driving the Christians out of areas such as Bethlehem. But even that pales in comparison with Gaza, where Hamas dug up a buried synagogue just so they could destroy it. No Jew has any citizenship or rights in any Fakeistinian controlled areas and the very idea of a Jew being elected to a seat in any Fakeistinian parliament is simply too silly for words. Question answered?

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

> "What Google did was merely reflect the truth......" LOL! What Google did wasn't about "truth" or any other noble cause, it was about ensuring business in Arab countries.

And your evidence for this is what exactly?

Nobody is talking about noble causes.

It is the update of a database record to reflect what the International community says is the current situation.

Countries are political constructs formed by our illustrious leaders.

Your rather bizarre hyperbole regarding this issue does seem rather unreasonable.

Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?

1. Local G
          Happy

Re: "Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?"

Not very likely

More likely MB's mother was Jewish and conferred on her son all the rights and responsibilities of the twelve tribes.

He's not so much a Hebrew Horatio at the Bridge as a Horatio at the Settlements.

I know this comment will end up in the Salon de Refuses, but all theories must be weighed and measured.

Matt Bryant would be the first to second that.

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe: "Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?"

Your anti-semitism doesn't deserve a reply.

1. Local G
              Joke

Re: Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

"The only cow in a small town in Poland stopped giving milk. The people did some research and found that they could buy a cow from Moscow for 2000 rubles, or one from Minsk for 1000 rubles. Being frugal, they bought the cow from Minsk.

The cow was wonderful. It produced lots of milk all the time, and the people were amazed and very happy. They decided to acquire a bull to mate with the cow and produce more cows like it. Then they would never have to worry about the milk supply again.

They bought the bull and put it in the pasture with their beloved cow.

However, whenever the bull came close to the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he could not succeed in his quest. The people were very upset and decided to ask the rabbi, who was very wise, what to do. They told the rabbi what was happening; "Whenever the bull approaches our cow, she moves away. If he approached from the back , she moves forward. When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. An approach from the side and she just walks away to the other side." The rabbi thought about this for a minute and asked, "Did you buy this cow from Minsk?" The people were dumbfounded. They had never mentioned where they have gotten the cow. "You are truly wise rabbi. How did you know we got the cow from Minsk?"

The rabbi answered sadly, "My wife is from Minsk."

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe Re: Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

You're even recycling your jokes now.

1. Local G
                  Thumb Down

Re: Local Dupe Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

I thought maybe this time you'd answer the question.

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe Re: Local Dupe Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

"I thought maybe this time you'd answer the question." I'm waiting for you to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread, rather than bother with your evasions and continual denials of reality.

1. Local G

to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread

An original thought connected to the forum thread. That forum thread being "Google formally recognizes Palestine. Puts it on the virtual map." Whoo hoo.

Here's my original thought, Matt old pal.

If there can be peace in Flushing, N. Y., there can be peace in the Middle East.

http://gothamist.com/2013/05/09/video_hasidic_man_gets_into_heated.php

Enjoy. :-)

FAIL

Re: to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread

Nope, still nothing to do with the thread. You fail again.

1. Local G
                          Boffin

Re: to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread

" nothing to do with the thread."

I think I made it clear the subject wasn't topic-worthy, dude.

Happy

Re: Local Dupe Re: to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected....

Exposing your popularist views as nothing more than bigotry and ill education is certainly fun though.

2. Local G
                      Happy

"Here there be Philistines."

Is that virtually original enough for you? I hate disappointing you.

Facepalm

Re: "Here there be Philistines."

".....I hate disappointing you." Why, the person you are clearing failing most is yourself? Or is it just you have become used to losing?

1. Local G
                          Happy

"Here there be Philistines." (A play on the markings on old maps. And a play on the name, Palestinians, from an ancient people who lived close by the deed holding Hebrews. I hope I don't have to explain all my jokes to you from now on.)

Admit it, Matt, you haven't come up with as clever a line as that since you've been posting here. In all likelihood since you were born.

All you do is submit the same old ad hominum crap reply after reply after reply after etc.

I see your replies to those who also don't cave in to your bullying and, yep, they get the same old put downs.

OTOH, I suppose a lot of us wouldn't have as much fun here if we couldn't laugh at you. :oD

FAIL

".....Admit it, Matt, you haven't come up with as clever a line as that since you've been posting here. In all likelihood since you were born......" Apart from your definition of clever being a whole lot lower in cleverness than what seems to be the accepted norm for society, I would also have to point out I post verifiable facts and leave the lies, myths and hyperbole to you and your ilk. You moan that all your equally vacuous posters that post easily debunk able propaganda are "bullied"? Well, I just have to assume that was you reaction to education in general, which probably explains your naive and childish hatred for The Man - it's all just an extension of your unhappy childhood failings at school.

As of the Philistines, they were a completely separate ethnic group to the people that later became the Arabs, so for the Fakeistinians to claim the are the "rightful owners" of the whole Palestine Mandate territories by being descendants of the Philistines is also complete rubbish.

1. Local G
                              Pirate

"your definition of clever being a whole lot lower in cleverness than the.... norm"

Hey, I guess that's why I enjoy carrying on with you so much. Your cleverness is a lot lower than I think it is. You are so full of male bovine manure, when you're on the streets, everybody is afraid there's going to be another zeppelin attack.

" I would also have to point out I post verifiable facts and leave the lies, myths and hyperbole to you and your ilk"

Matt, did you know that when you lie like that there's a twinkle in your eye and the corners of your mouth turn up in a stifled smile?. In poker they call it a 'tell'.

I remember our back and forth about the USS Liberty and how you said the IDF thought the embattled ship was Egyptian and then tried to sink it. I said the Israelis knew it was American.. So then I posted this and proved how full of it you and Israel are:

"A Juridical Examination of the Israeli Attack on the USS Liberty

NAVAL LAW REVIEW VOL. 36 WINTER 1986

Lieutenant Commander Walter L. Jacobsen, JA GC, USN"

Later that day you were seen crossing the Waterloo Bridge and were captured on a cell phone camera looking like the screaming woman in Edvard Munch's masterpiece, Det Skrik (The Scream.) Enjoy.http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/coffee_keyboard_32.png

FAIL

Re: "your definition of clever being a whole lot lower in cleverness than the.... norm"

"....Your cleverness is a lot lower than I think it is......" Well, let's look at your track record in "thinking". Firstly, all you ever do is regurgitate the standard Internet attack pieces on any subject, all of which are predictable and very easy to debunk. Whilst there are often more complex and pertinent arguments you could deploy, you never do, probably because they are either too complex for you to regurgitate, or because the websites they occupy are not on your approved reading list. Then we have your constantly being wrong, as shown by how you always lose the argument and going schwinging off on a tangent. And then we have the most damning fact, that you keep getting caught out in blatant lies. So, applying your track record, for you to say my cleverness is a lot lower than you think it is would actually mean my cleverness is a lot higher than your limited outlook can comprehend. Thanks.

"....the USS Liberty...." Aaaaand SCHWING! Not only are you reaching for the bottled Israel-bashing sauce, this one you've already tried and been soundly shown up on! Please, if you're going to be ridiculously stupid, at least present a new case of your stupidity, otherwise you'll go from being childishly naive but amusing to just plain boring. Oh, and can we safely assume that your desperate change of tack is yet another case of you avoiding admitting that you have lost another argument? This is my surprised face, honest.

1. Local G
                                  Unhappy

standard Internet attack pieces.... which are predictable and very easy to debunk.

DEBUNK THIS, SIR

"A Juridical Examination of the Israeli Attack on the USS Liberty

NAVAL LAW REVIEW VOL. 36 WINTER 1986

Lieutenant Commander Walter L. Jacobsen, JA GC, USN"

usslibertyinquiry.com/law/jacobsen.pdf

"Not only are you reaching for the bottled Israel-bashing sauce, this one you've already tried and been soundly shown up on!" said Matt Bryant.

You call that debunking Lt Com Jacobsen? This is the second time I've brought up the Jacobsen inquiry. The first time the topic was closed before you could worm your way out of an answer. This time we get the laughable answer above. (ha ha)

Where did your debunking appear, Sir? In the Kibbutznik Farmer's Almanack?

Where the reader is told to use the magazine as toilet paper after a week of wrong predictions?

I weep for your world class stupidity. Unless you are old enough for dementia, in which case I weep for that.

FAIL

Re: standard Internet attack pieces.... which are predictable and very easy to debunk.

"DEBUNK THIS, SIR....." Already have in a previous thread where it was no relation to the topic, so I can't be bothered to entertain your attempt to schwing off topic again. Please try and come up with something even remotely conencted to the thread topic - Google's "recognition" of Palestine as a "country" - and please do try a little original thought, rather than just rebleating some canned Israeli-bashing article that was spoonfed to you.

1. Local G
                                      Happy

<klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped from Lobotomy Op Room.

He is extremely armed (knuckle dragger) but not too dangerous. He was last seen running down the street, wearing a cowl with his little pointy face and bug eyes exposed. If you see him call 1-800- Delusions of Grandeur.

Unhappy

Re: <klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped from Lobotomy Op Room.

And, yet again, Local Dupe adds nothing to the conversation other than what one suspects are his drug-addled "thoughts".

"....wearing a cowl...." If anyone is to be wearing any headgear I would suggest it is more likley to be you wearing a white hood, seeing as you seem to share a common vein of anti-semitism with that old Klan favourite, Stormfront. And - what a surprise! - Stormfront has a cesspool of a forum that likes to shriek hatred regarding one of your favourite Israel-bashing topics, the USS Liberty incident (warning, NSFW - http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t807427/). Truly you are a sad little individual.

1. Local G
                                          Happy

Re: <klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped from Lobotomy Op Room.

Why Matt, I do believe you're whinging. There, there.

Everyone at The Reg who wanted to read http://usslibertyinquiry.com/law/jacobsen.pdf

already has. There is no one left on either side to be converted.

So let's kiss and make up and hope that the editors here don't put up any more stories about the antics of Israel or vile Manning and naughty Assange.

<SARCASTIC>

Happy

Re: Local Dupe: <klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped......

"Why Matt, I do believe you're whinging..." No, that's winning, again. To be frank, it doesn't really take much effort with the weak rebleating you put forth.

".....Everyone at The Reg who wanted to read http://usslibertyinquiry.com/law/jacobsen.pdf already has...." LOL, I like how you try to avoid admitting the places on the Web that share your views are either all drenched in white supremacist bile and swathed in swastikas or Islamist shrieking, or both. Someone once told me that the psychiatrists are convinced that people aren't born racist, but that the opinions form at an early age, often by seven, from the home environment, and are pretty much engrained by age twelve. So I suppose there's little chance of reforming you now, even if your mental age probably matches that of a twelve-year-old. Even your attempts to evade off into "safe" topics where you feel more comfortable rebleating your half-truths, lies and myths, are becoming sadly predictable.

I'll tell you what, just to give you a semblance of a chance to redeem yourself, I'll give you an easy one to come back on - why don't you post why you are so happy that Google has a www.google.ps page? Please explain how it has advanced anything anywhere, how it has changed the situation on the ground, given the Fakeistinians one ounce more legal right or might, or even caused Israel to surrender one square kilometer of land? Oh, but that's the problem for you - like most Fakeistinian "victories", this is just an empty echo lost on the Internet, achieving nothing more than giving the hating sheeple like you "hope". LOL! Enjoy!

1. Anonymous Coward
                                              Anonymous Coward

"The boy put his insolent black head in the doorway, and said in a tone of scathing contempt"

"Mistah Dupe – he dead."

2. Local G
                              Devil

Philistines were a completely separate ethnic group to the people that later became the Arabs

I suppose you managed to get a dab of Delilah's DNA before you boned her. Who else, Matt? Helen of Troy?

Facepalm

Re: Philistines were a completely separate ethnic group to the people.....

Oh look, another fact that Local Dupe cannot argue against.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: skelband Re: skelband

"......And your evidence for this is what exactly......" Going by Google's previous behaviour. Where's the Google page for Tibet? How about Scotland or the Basques? What, they not on the Leftie popularist bleating list?

".....It is the update of a database record to reflect what the International community says is the current situation......" Wrong! The current situation is that "Palestine" is still not a state and still not a real country until it meets the obligations set by the UN Security Council. It won't be until the a final peace agreement is reached and borders agreed. Oops, did I just introduce you to a fact, probably your first experience of one?

....Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?" LOL! That's typical, just about the best counter the Self-deluding can come up with. I bet your parents are so proud of you - the only member of their family that can use a PC, even if it is without intelligent thought.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That settles that

Oh good. Now it's a country. Problem solved.

5. The Mole

"This change raises questions about the reasons behind this surprising involvement of what is basically a private Internet company in international politics,"

perhaps should be:

"This raises questions about the reasons behind this surprising involvement of politics with what is basically a private Internet company" ?

1. goldcd

Damn it

I hate it when somebody has already written my post for me.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting the popcorn ready for the arrival of the shrill shills

I wonder how long till the usual shrill shills turn up crying and weeping, accusing google of anti-semitism and running round in circles desperately trying to justify the subjugation and occupation of Palestine ? Won't be long now, methinks.

1. unwarranted triumphalism
      Thumb Down

Re: Getting the popcorn ready for the arrival of the shrill shills

I didn't know it was Google's place to recognise terrorists.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like