EMC is set to announce a software-defined storage product known as a Sea of Storage (SOS) as a new product category, alongside its Centera and Atmos object storage-based systems. Vulture Central's storage desk has deduced this from tips, rumours and rumblings around the storage jungle, and we're told a mid-May announcement date …
I think you are actually reading far too much into this. I've spoken to highly placed EMC architects about what is coming, and it is nothing more than a unified management platform, but promptly cloud washed. There's no new real capabilities as such, just a way of managing all the various products that EMC sell you through a single management framework.
Yeah, that is what it looks like to me too... from the marketing. It looks like IBM's SVC, NetApp's V series, and other virtualization layers. I guess the difference is that they are going to tightly integrate it with VCenter. That is the direction VMware/EMC are going. They want everything to be a VCenter plug-in and VMware to rule the data center.... I wonder when they are going to use that Nirica purchase to incorporate networking virtualization in VCenter.
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of huge BULGE FOUND ON MOON is solved