back to article 3D printer spits out CYBORG EAR... but where will you PUT it?

Princeton's finest boffins have managed to print out an ear, and it's not just a simple prosthetic, it's actually an enhancement with a radio antenna built in. The process of combining electrical circuits with flesh is fraught with difficulties, and building ears is a common challenge given the complexity of shape and their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gimp

Nipple implant

Thing is doe it include a right nipple implant that I can twist to pick up jazz fm?

(One for the dwarfers)

Joke

Re: Nipple implant

Double Polaroid moment? ;o)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Nipple implant

So long as Kochanski doesn't get one:

"So I'm with her, right? playing with 'er funbags, then all-ov-a-sudden she starts in

"Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down"

Ya'know what a mood-killer it is being Rick Rolled?"

Anonymous Coward

Well done chaps

... ear ear!

Silver badge
Terminator

Oh Lordy ROTM

Am I the only one who sees this technology being used to print the skin over fleshy seeking Terminators.

/Gets me flak jacket.

Alert

Re: Oh Lordy ROTM

Forget the flak jacket, where's my shotgun? And ammo? Lots of ammo!

Bronze badge
Joke

Where to put it

Star Trek style - new front ear!

Coat

"Now look ear"

Shouldn't that be a camera, then?

Silver badge

i refuse to be impressed until they can print out a 3d printer

Thumb Up

Getting closer.

Today's fish is trout al la creme, please enjoy your meal....

RepRap is an attempt, yes it can't print everything, yes you still have to build it.

But it's a step.

Meh

All we 'ear is ... radio gaga.

That's earie. Once again people will be glued to their radios.

Joke

Hipster will get one....

I can see it now: A hipster gets one, and the immediately voids his warranty by putting a big gauge piercing through it.

Gold badge

Re: Hipster will get one....

Just have the piercing printed as well, already in the ear.

Can you hear me now?

Besides looking delicious and not at all freakish, anything that can help with my ears' "propensity to become torn off or damaged" is welcome indeed. I'm all the time losing one when rolling around during sleep. Sometimes, I'll even find one caught by the shower drain after a vigorous scrub.

Bronze badge
Boffin

BLARRGH

Well, that's really gross, but I kind of want one?

Happy

Being totally serious for once

This actually could be used for those who have Treacher Collinge Syndrome.

For those of you who'd like to know more - part of the Syndrome means that they are born without part or all of the pinna. One of the symptoms of the syndrome may be that they have no ear canal, so they have to have a bone anchored hearing aid (BAHA).

So using this they would not have to have a stud through the bone (skull).

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Now make a few boobs and it might generate a little more interest to us males but ear fetishist are few and far between round ear

Gold badge
Coat

Durability.

...regularly tested over 10 weeks to ensure they remained biologically viable, which they did.

So, no danger of "ear today, gone tomorrow" then?

Angel

Ear on arm

Reminds me of Stelarc's Ear on Arm (engineering an Internet organ), http://stelarc.org/?catID=20242

Silver badge
Joke

Friends, Romans, Countrymen...

...lend me your....oh, thank you, no, please, I really only need the one for now, no really, I just don't have anywhere to put that many.

On a serious note though,there didn't seem to be any blood supply visible in the photo. Does this ear have blood vessels so as to"live" a lifetime?

Hmmmm....

I see the manufacturers of the "Rabbit" releasing a whole new line....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums