Feeds

back to article CLIMATE CHANGE forces women into PROSTITUTION - US politicians

A group of American politicians has introduced a resolution into Congress saying that climate change (among many other bad things it does) forces women into prostitution, and that as a result the USA should use "gender sensitive frameworks" in battling the scourge of global warming. House Concurrent Resolution 36 of the 113th …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Half a dozen of one, but only six of the other.

Now just a very few days ago we had this article here: "Surprise! Republican bill adds politics to science funding" (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/republicans_national_science_foundation/) and of course the usual commenters were ridiculing the Republicans who supported it. It will be interesting to see if those same people recognize this "concurrent resolution" as being thought up and supported by Democrats just as ignorant as those Republicans.

Silver badge

The USA was responsible

For forcing women into prostitution, courtesy of all the secret wars, support of dictators, overt wars and other back door shenanigans that they were involved in over the years.

Their administration has a lot to answer for.

Bronze badge

Re: Half a dozen of one, but only six of the other.

Well I for one called the republican proposal rubbish.

When reading through the bill text I have to say that although its language seems to be well intentioned (whereasses not included - sheesh), and it does point to some factors like the UN and actual real events, the fact that they try to somehow link this to Global Warming seems idiotic.

The subtext of the bill seems to me to scream that "although women do a lot of stuff really well out in the world, they are at heart quite fragile and we should totally protect them because we - men - are good at that stuff".

It might be well intentioned, but instead of trying to link global warming to the hardship of women, why don't they just get on with promoting equal rights everywhere, and - separately! - attempt to fight global warming.

And then they can cut out the whole "women aren't as good as men at surviving global warming"

Here's a quote from the bill, which I think shows quite well that the issue of "women can't cope with global warming" is idiotic, and that the real issues are global warming & women's rights:

"Whereas the ability of women to adapt to climate change is constrained by a lack of economic freedoms, property and inheritance rights, as well as access to financial resources, education, family planning and reproductive health, and new tools, equipment, and technology;"

Women are constrained by inequality - lets just accept that and work from there?

Of course I could just be projecting my own self-righteous semi-feminist views onto it - in turn making me the anti-feminist asshole, and the bill an awesome piece of work (although I would suggest that at least the latter of those two cannot be true)

Bronze badge
Stop

@Lars The USA was responsible

The USA was responsible ... secret wars etc

As at theory I would think this is as about as credible as the ‘Climate change forces women into prostitution’ theory. If this was the case wouldn’t we expect to see trafficked prostitutes from places that have been on the receiving end of US policy?

This would suggest that human trafficking would be for people from say Iraq, and Afghanistan. The evidence in the UK suggests otherwise with reports of people trafficking from Lithuania, Russia, Albania, Ukraine, Malaysia, Thailand, the People’s Republic of China (P.R.C.), Nigeria, and Ghana.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: The USA was responsible

Yep, Pre Iraq war their was no such thing as prostitues. Now they are every where! To make matters worse they are all immigrants and they try to take your guns as well!

Damn gubbermint

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

@Aldous Re: The USA was responsible

Err yes there are only vague rumours the trade predates human history and yet the last major investigation along these lines wasn’t so much about trafficking from Iraq but Rochdale.

Could this indeed have been an evil plot by the Lancashire branch of the CIA? That said this just maybe some other group of people forcing (or at least coercing) girls into prostitution.

End of the last Ice Age == Population explosion

Warmer weather == less clothes, more rain==wet t-shirts and while I'm not suggesting that monetary prostitution was involved in cave man days, the trade of sex for food (in the absence of gender frameworks, or condoms) may have been a contributing factor.

Yaba daba doo!

Silver badge
Pint

Re: @Lars The USA was responsible

@Titus Technophobe. @LarsG

Bronze badge
WTF?

No it's because increases in temperature heats up their fair little brains and makes them go cuckoo.

C'mon!

Silver badge

@turtle

I am all to happy to say this is just as crazy. It is rather brazenly stupid, not the typical democrat daftness, more from the other lots playbook. Personally I feel the vast majority of them are either bought or mad, or both, and we could do far worse than applying aquarium sealant to all the doors and windows of the capitol building and leave the taps on.

Anonymous Coward

Turtle, if LarsG's response is an indicator, then no.

Silver badge

Re: Half a dozen of one, but only six of the other. @Eguro

"why don't they just get on with promoting equal rights everywhere"

While I agree with the sentiment we have to consider who we are talking about that will do the 'promoting'. It is the government and the only way they know how to promote anything is to send in a bunch of well armed people who are really good at disrupting society and breaking things. While I'm all for a good societal disruption every now and again, there are other ways of doing it that government just doesn't understand and that is why those other ways tend to be more effective. To illustrate my point consider two historical references: 1st December 1955, Rosa Parks and 4th May 1970, Kent State University.

Anonymous Coward

"It will be interesting to see if those same people recognize this "concurrent resolution" as being thought up and supported by Democrats just as ignorant as those Republicans."

Yes that is a good point. Are they all as ignorant and stupid. Still looking at this from overseas one gets the feeling that good old party has more nuts, as a whole. What about a party who is able to elect Sarah Palin to a possible President of the USA. The most ignorant, uneducated and stupid person ever with a chance to be a President, anywhere. What about Bush jr and his wonderful credit adventures in the world. What about all the religious nuts, mormons, creationists, militarists. What about Michele Bachmann, Limbaugh, Donald Trump, Bill OReilly and similar. Stupidity taints the part and you too, even if you don't like it. Credit to the US population who voted Democrat. Among two bad thing (I hope) people will vote for the less bad. And perhaps you should have a look in the mirror, are you actually supporting people who support what you believe in and hope for.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The USA was responsible

On the other hand prostitution has been there (for us) from the beginning of times. Never invented, just a fact of reality.

Silver badge

Re: @turtle

@Rampant Spaniel

I am with you on the 'aquarium sealant' issue, but I *do* feel that we should perhaps divert some of the 'Climate Change' research money to doing some experimental research on the sealant issue first.

I am, a priori, pro sealant, but feel a bit sheepish about recommending it without at least a little testing. I don't think it would be too far out of line to sacrifice maybe 10 or 20 percent of the Congress and Senate to this research. It is not like anybody would miss them.

Silver badge

Re: republican proposal rubbish.

just one small problem with that exceedingly narrow minded comment.

If you had bothered to follow the link and check on the congress critters, then wiki'd each of them, you'd find that it is a purely partisan Democrat proposal. Not a single Republican co-sponsor on the list.

Anonymous Coward

This was authored by a left-leaning feminist Democrat, not a republican. No matter, the left vs right debate is just a distraction to keep small, petty minds busy

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: Half a dozen of one, but only six of the other. @Eguro @Eddy Ito

That is quite right.

While I think there are certainly ways for government to affect equality through other means that weapons - various restrictions or demands to be met for aid (this of course has two sides), support for international efforts through the UN, support simply for schools in countries to allow girls to attend - there are of course other players who are active and should be. NGOs are a good thing in this regard.

My original point - which you seem to have gotten :) - was of course more general. Targeting only the way two separate issues seem to be attempted to be bunched together.

All in all I agree with you, and just thought I would say so in a very winded way.

Bronze badge

I have to admit, it seems that the Democrats from California are in a contest with their Republican peers in presenting the most idiotic bills before their respective houses of Congress.

Honestly, I truly believe that if we were to present Congresscritters an IQ test, we'd have a hell of a time finding even one with an IQ above that of a bowl of Jello.

Bronze badge

Re: Half a dozen of one, but only six of the other. @Eguro

"It is the government and the only way they know how to promote anything is to send in a bunch of well armed people who are really good at disrupting society and breaking things. "

Indeed! So, Operation Ajax, the overthrow of the democratic government of Iran was performed by a "sending in a bunch of well armed people who are really good at disrupting society and breaking things"?

Or did a certain UK based oil company ask Eisenhower for a favor and being war buddies, he helped them out via a small CIA operation?

As for Kent State, that wasn't the first time that a state's National Guard ran amok with the populace when mobilized by the state's Governor. But, it was the first one televised.

After that, the National Guard received a hell of a lot of crowd control and incident response training.

Why, they actually became competent in the very beginning of this century.

And that last part is serious, I watched them get dragged, state by state, into the modern era. The only thing they previously were half good at, post 1970, was crowd control with long sticks and no firearms.

Of course, we've also had the US Army in the streets to secure the peace, such as the religious riots in the late 1800's, when a bunch of folks came from a place called Ireland and the local protestants didn't like their Catholicness. Or when the US Army fired artillery into the Bowery, due to the draft riots that gave infantry with fixed bayonets trouble. Or in the state of Mississippi, when a few black students wanted to go to school and the US Army "supported" the federalized National Guard, after the Governor mobilized them to stop desegregation and the POTUS wisely federalized the mobilized forces and send "support" in the form of Airborne Rangers.

We inherited a lot of history and common law from the UK. We're trying our level best at catching up in atrocities, please bear with us. :/

Bronze badge

Re: @turtle

@The lot of you...

I'm with aquarium sealant and pump in soman gas.

It ages in in about 5 minutes and can't be undone by Pralidoxime.

For those who don't get this really nasty joke, soman is a rather nasty nerve agent (gas), Pralidoxime is the curative agent and Atropine is a palliative, along with Diazepam (to prevent seizures).

And no, I'd not really every considering using any form of WMD on my nation's political leaders, regardless of how misguided and bought off via campaign contributions.

We have firearms for that, to "fight tyranny" and repel the US Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. (Yes, I'm picking fun of the gun nut brigade, who really believe that they could and never noticed that Iraq and Afghanistan thing.)

On the serious side, I've been largely voting for whoever I never heard of, who didn't have ten thousand commercials, mailings, people knocking on my door, etc. Save for Obama, who I did vote for.

Because, I don't want a damned idiot anywhere near controlling the nuclear football. Reagan was bad enough.

Bronze badge

@Eguro, NGO's are great, when they're permitted to work.

UN efforts, a mixed bag. UN peacekeepers are as useful as breasts on a bull, they usually observe and document any atrocities that occur in front of them, for intervention frequently has ruined commanders careers.

Your original point, albeit a bit long winded and not supremely targeted is, it's a complex issue with multiple issues to address individually. Our bad habit in the US is the quick fix mentality, rather than a measured plan to increment programs and improvements.

As for long winded, you've never experienced one of my tomes, written on US medial sites. I'm known to bring in common law, the history behind it, codified law, Constitutional law, current customs, issues with current laws as they stand, sociology and more to prove a point.

I've changed a few minds from that.

Just not the idiots who complain, TLDR.

Re: End of the last Ice Age == Population explosion

Ken, that was "free sex". Now, with a new Ice Age coming, women will begin refusing sex, except in exchange for better social position, more money, clothes and security (from polar bears). Welcome prostitution.

Gender frameworks will always be ignored, as will any policy -- when it comes to surviving the mankind or plain old pleasure.

Holmes

Actually I am rather glad you took the trouble to quote from the document presented by the Democrats:

'"Whereas the ability of women to adapt to climate change is constrained by a lack of economic freedoms, property and inheritance rights, as well as access to financial resources, education, family planning and reproductive health, and new tools, equipment, and technology;"'

Translated into English, this reads "Since women are in general poorer and even more oppressed than men in their cohort, and less likely than men to be able to bash their neighbours on the head when resources are short ... they (and children) will need additional support in the face of climate change."

The "Forces Women Into Prostitution" headline is just to draw attention.

Happy

Hello Anon,

I still don't know who are the more stupid,ignorant, mindless,revolting,shitbrained heap of Morons.

Are they the Democrats or the Republicans?

As I live far away I don't understand the Politics of USA.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Half a dozen of one, but only six of the other. @elderlybloke

"Are they the Democrats or the Republicans?"

Technically it's "and" not "or", but yes, that's correct.

Re: End of the last Ice Age == Population explosion

Global warming doesn't mean "warmer weather". It means more energy in the system therefore more extremes.

Simple physics. Some dry areas will get much drier, some cool areas will get colder and some wet areas will have more floods.

Every recent study suggests that the climate change resulting from global warming (which contrary to the ridiculous nonsense being parrotted by the ill-informed and gullible has accelerated over the last 15 years) will lead to reductions in harvests and a rise in food prices.

Pretty much what is already happening.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: If climate change forces women into prostitution...

Women have worked for millions and millions of years in the kitchen, which is quite hot! so how is a little climate change going to effect them, will they even be allowed out to see it? Who knows!

Happy

No, no, no, we don't want them back in the kitchen, more prostitution means more competition which means lower prices.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah but will the prostitute make me a goddamn sammich?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Make me a sandwich!

> "Make your own goddamn sandwich"

"sudo make me a sandwich?"

> "Okay, sure"

All we have to do is figure out how to enable SSH on prostitutes and the possibilities are endless...

Silver badge
Happy

That would require two prostitutes....

Silver badge
Joke

Women in the Kitchen? ARE YOU MAD???

Women should be out in the field working hard and keeping their bodies toned!

anyway everyone knows the best Chefs are men

(and in history stately homes/castles/etc, the cooks were men as they were so hot the men wore very little women were not allowed!)

Bronze badge

@Eadon, ROFLMAO!

From a guy who is well respected by feminists, humanists and every critical thinker I've met.

Bronze badge

"Yeah but will the prostitute make me a goddamn sammich?"

Only if it's clam.

Bronze badge

"Women in the Kitchen? ARE YOU MAD???"

The joke in our home is, the kitchen *IS MINE*, I only occasionally permit my wife to use it.

The reality is quite close to that, but not by prohibition, but by the fact that I'm a damned good cook and know recipes from every continent on this Earth. Courtesy of my near 28 year career in the US military, I got to go to those continents and meet locals, one of the first things I get is a list of recipes and give some of mine that seem to fit the local preference.

Bronze badge

recipes from every continent on this Earth

Wzrd1, you’ve piqued my curiosity: which recipes would you recommend as the best that Antarctic cuisine has to offer?

Joke

Ah, you mean "barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen"?

Joke

Re: Make me a sandwich!

"enable SSH on prostitutes"

Oh no, please. That would require either a password or a certificate. More expenses. Just make sure they come with an open TELNET port.

Coat

In the kitchen...

I think ... I love you

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Might be logical

But it would be more logical to say that mis-management of the economy by US politicians forces women into prostitution. Perhaps they should get to work on themselves?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Might be logical

I'm sorry, are you trying to imply logic plays any part in this?

My question is, should they be adding more internal insulation to combat the extreme winter cold spells caused by global warming which would also prepare them for the lean times when food is scarce, or should they shed the internal insulation to better cope with the temperature increase?

AC, because joke icons are ignored.

Silver badge

"I'm sorry, are you trying to imply logic plays any part in this?"

The premise seems reasonable if you read the text. Climate change predictions suggest millions could be forced into starvation and poverty and women's health in particular could be adversely affected.

That said, the bill doesn't really propose any remedial action other than make various affirmations and ask the president to do something to address it.

Facepalm

Only in America could climate change be linked to prostitution, very were else on earth this is a job down the pub.

Bronze badge

"I'm sorry, are you trying to imply logic plays any part in this?"

That you even ask such a question about something in US politics shows your abysmal ignorance of my nation's political system.

Where logic is only applied in Orwellian ways (such as the House Un-American Activities Committee, which lived up to its name) or when inverted otherwise to provide zero sense of true logic.

An example of the latter would be another California Democrat, Feinstein, who sought to ban weapons by manufacturer and model, as well as ban by the presence of one feature. Which would have banned any Olympic rifle that wasn't from two manufacturers, by model. Rather than placing all semiautomatic firearms that are derived from military service rifles under the National Firearms Act.

No need to reinvent the wheel, make something manufacturers trivially get around, quite effective.

The latter part originated with me, no congresscritter wanted a part of it, preferring to reinvent the wheel and get air time in the process.

And this guy owns a dozen firearms, half inherited from his father and owns said proposed restricted firearms and has no heartburn with it.

My Congress needs one of two things. An industrial sized Raid can vented during session or have me testify before them and have some sap pull my finger. ;)

Gotta joke about it, as some patients I knew did about their lethal disease.

We call it whistling in the graveyard.

Well that is obvious

Of course it is a common fact (not) that all women in "warmer" countries are prostitutes

What a stupid debate

Anonymous Coward

Re: Well that is obvious

But oddly, it is a "common fact" that all men in warmer countries think ALL female visitors from western/northern countries have only one thing on their minds ....

... insecure women with limited socioeconomic resources may be vulnerable to situations such as sex work, transactional sex, and early marriage that put them at risk for HIV, STIs, unplanned pregnancy, and poor reproductive health ...

I'm more then sure it has nothing to do with H1B's, and other crap the companies do to make sure people barely make enough to survive(if that) in the US.

Coat

Gender sensitive framework

That'd be the pink tassel on top of the pole then ...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.