Feeds

back to article 2,000km-wide Eye-of-Sauron MONSTER hurricane spotted on Saturn

Stargazing NASA scientists have snapped an image of a massive hurricane on Saturn whose vortex is 20 times larger than the average size of the eye of its earthly cousins.* The blowy behemoth boasts an eye estimated to be over 2,000km (1,250 miles) wide, which is more than large enough to spot any troublesome hobbits heading its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: 3D looking storm

"It may be an optical illusion but those clouds look 3D"

I can't even think of the words... See icon <-----

Silver badge
Angel

3D pig disgusting?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

"If you look at the cloud formations of hurricane-like storms, they're fairly 2D structures, wider than they are deep. Fools!"

Riiiiiiight ... (In Dr. Evil voice.)

">WALKS AWAY MUTTERING<"

Walks around muttering, surely?

Oh Eadon,

I know it's a lost cause, but if you're going to say that Earthbound hurricanes are "2D" because they're wider than they are high, then you have to say this is "2D" also. It's certainly nowhere near 2000 km in height. I'm assuming your initial post was just due to sheer ignorance and now you're spinning without thinking, as per your usual MO.

So as someone who paid enough attention to pass first year atmospheric science, rather than just cheating off the guy in front while muttering death threats to Bill Gates, let me help you out: hurricanes - much like all synoptic scale weather systems - reach the tropopause. They're fueled from the ground. The altitude of the tropopause varies from about 10-15 km depending on a number of factors. Their immense power creates effects into the stratosphere. The vertical structure of the hurricane is also quite involved with layers of rising and falling air actually fuelling the thing, giving it shape, creating the eye wall, etc. There is nothing 2D about them.

In fact hurricanes wouldn't survive even a minute as a "fairly 2D" structure, because the up-down convection is an essential part of their formation and the air currents capable of actually pushing the hurricane around are all necessarily well up in the atmosphere where wind speed and direction is more or less uniform for massive distances.

Flame

25:1 ratio or even bigger between diameter and hight is pretty 2D to me, at least enough that I would not flame somebody for claiming so.

Silver badge

"they're fairly 2D structures, wider than they are deep"

That would make me a "fairly 1D structure", much taller than I am wide or deep (in other words a skinny f***er).

It depends on what you are modeling (I do remember seeing a naive model for hurricane motion where it was indeed treated as a 2D thing. Of course, it does have internal structure, but this is not always what is important).

Coat

If Carling made scouser astrophysicists

Why aye man!

Anonymous Coward

Re: If Carling made scouser astrophysicists

Perhaps its just cos I'm a soft southerner, but I've always associated that turn of phrase with Geordies, not Scousers.

Facepalm

It's Carlsberg not Carling...and Geordies say 'Why aye man'

Coat

Calm down ! Calm down !

Thumb Up

Are ye pickin' a fight?! Are ye pickin' a fight?!

Bronze badge

Geometric....

Amazingly hexagonal shaped storm.

Silver badge

Holiday on Saturn?

No thanks. Not with 300mph winds and storms that last decades.

Silver badge

Re: Holiday on Saturn?

Imagine coming out of a cave after a decade of winter then getting your FACE RIPPED OFF by methane ice particles driving by FOREVER HURRICANE.

Saturno-bears have it hard. Seriously makes one want to stay in bed.

Mushroom

Nah, if you were a Saturnian, you would consider that hurricane as 'a light shower, with a particular taste of farts'.

Explosion, because that's what farts should do when you light 'em.

Still better than a weeked in Grimsby

Anonymous Coward

I blame CO2 emissions.

These kind of mega-storms never occurred before the industrial revolution, according to the records.

Joke

Re: I blame CO2 emissions.

"Yes, but the records only go back to 1978 when the Hall of Records was mysteriously blown away."

-- Lisa Simpson

(Ah what would we do without the simpsons? There"s a quote for every situation...

Looks more like a drain...

When water is running out the drain.

That would also explain why the clouds in the center are lower than those around it (less dense).

Anonymous Coward

All seeing eyes

"...creepy all-seeing-eye familiar from American dollar bills..." Dollars creepy for a number of reasons.

Strange dimensions

Having once got flamed to cinders as a youth for referring to an embossed surface as 2.5D, I think it is only fair that Eadon writes out the following 1,000 times:

"If it has height and width, it's 2D: if it has height, width and depth, it's 3D"

Either that, or we lock him in a room with nothing but a Win RT tablet for company over the weekend...

Joke

Re: Strange dimensions

"Either that, or we lock him in a room with nothing but a Win RT tablet for company over the weekend..." You'd get done under the HR acts for cruel and unusual punishment!

This topic is closed for new posts.