Feeds

back to article Azure is Microsoft's billion-dollar baby – maybe

Curt Anderson, CFO for Microsoft's Server & Tools Business, was feeling chatty during an interview with Bloomberg, bragging that in the past year Redmond topped the $1bn sales mark with Windows Azure. Or, maybe not. The Bloomberg story doesn't quote whatever Anderson said directly, and if you read down a bit further into the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Linux

Microsoft Azure?

Capitalist Titanic.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Stop

Re: How to LIE with fake marketing numbers

Late to the party and have lost. MS is late to the party with everything!

But because its so tightly integrated with their other products that people use then it doesn’t matter how late they are! Case and point, MS CRM. Late to the game now the biggest product in that field. Azure will pick up, it certainly has taken off in a few offices I have worked in for developers test environments.

Im not an MS supporter but you just talk so much nonsense Eadon.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - If you want anyone to take you seriously, stop talking (as much) anti MS crap and actually start talking pro-FOSS, otherwise you just come over as a sad OS zealot who doesn't really know anything about the thing which they claim to support.

FAIL

Re: How to LIE with fake marketing numbers @(the ever charming) Eadon

Its so lovely to see your personality shining through this early in the morning Eadon.

If you think Dynamics is not one of the most popular CRM tools then you probably want to have a word with the Internets, there seem to be a large number of recruiters desperately looking for Dynamics devs these days. Especially those with X++ experience, which would lead one to think that there is still a lot of places out there using older versions of Dynamics...

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - For what reason would you possibly comment here as much and predominantly on a single subject if you didn't want people to take you seriously? Reading your comments is like tinnitus.

As for "Either I am right (and I am) or I am not right." if you're going to start a comment by accusing someone of being pompous, it's probably best not to finish doing the same yourself.

FAIL

Re: How to LIE with fake marketing numbers @(the ever charming) Eadon

Yes Eadon, I did read your post - hence my response.

You can be as rude and disingenuous as you like, at the end of the day all of your posts are about the same thing:

- You are right

- Anyone who has a different opinion is wrong

- You hate MS for no obvious reason.

You could pretty much just post one comment and then refer back to it for each subsequent post you make.

I live in hope that one day you may just find reason to post about something new, I guess that day will come when you latch on to some other technology that you feel is a gift from God.

Anonymous Coward

Amazon has had worse outages thna Azure....

Joke

"Amazon has had worse outages thna Azure...."

Heresy!!!

Thumb Down

pro-MS crap haha. Im writing this from a OpenSUSE laptop. I deal with multiple different distro's a day. I just dont wank over torvalds and foam at the mouth at the thought of openstack.

Fair enough though sales force is currently number one. But 5th place hardly bad, and the point still stands they are always late. But because it integrates to tightly with the systems that everyone uses it doesn’t really matter.

Anonymous Coward

@Bill - I suspect Eadon doesn't believe you (or I) exist - No-one could use more than one OS, surely, where is their loyalty?

Personally I've got in the house (and at work):

Solaris, AIX, Linux Red Hat based, Linux Debian based, Windows from 3.1 to v8, Mac OS, Free BSD and probably a few others. They run on Hyper-v and VMware hypervisors, I would like to add Xen and KVM, but don't have the hardware...

Yet still it seems that so many people think that, if you say anything positive about Linux, you're "against Windows" and vice versa. Meh...

Meh

@AC ...."No-one could use more than one OS, surely, where is their loyalty?"

Unfortunately there will always be some who take this "you're either with us, or against us" argument with tech choices (well almost anything really, mobiles, cars, whatever ). Much like as in the war on terror, your leveled arguments will fall on deaf ears, and be deflected with a mountain of stats and horror stories. The situation with radical tech fanbois however can be easily dealt with by remaining calm and reminding yourself that within 5 years the whole industry will have shifted focus again, and nobody cares. Though OS use over the last 10yrs may be a bad example here, but if it works for you, nobody that matters should care. (For the record I have Solaris and Windows at home, and have been slammed for running a Linux distro "just in the VM").

Anonymous Coward

I would be VERY careful with MS quoting figures

One of the longest standing observations about Microsoft's use of any figures and statistics is that you have to very carefully check them. They are spectacularly good at, umm, "re-interpreting" numbers to fit whatever they are trying to sell you, to the point where I have started to discard anything they say until I had time to evaluate the data for myself.

This is why they like using numbers in presentations: fact checking is a lot harder live, and don't count on them mentioning sources and method of evaluation.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I would be VERY careful with MS quoting figures

Actually, what you say can be said about any large corporation. Or politician for that matter.

Bronze badge
Pirate

Re: I would be VERY careful with MS quoting figures

@AC 11:39 Excatly - how you interpret the set of complex figures is very open to, err, well, ahem - interpretation

Azure is a mix of services, SaaS and IaaS - however it gets its income doesn't matter. Why should it?

FAIL

Microsoft the Destroyer

This is further evidence of Microsoft destroying shareholder value. Let's take time out to look at Microsoft's recent history of stillborn products:

1. Windows 8 - no one wants it.

2. Windows Phone - I saw a guy with a windows phone, once.

3. Azure - no take up.

4. Windows XP - a product whose perceived 'success' is due in no small part to Microsoft's monopoly position and a lack of viable alternatives at the time.

5. .NET - great for Windows Devs. Not so great for anyone else.

6.. SQL Server - hey, it's cheaper than Oracle.

and the list goes on...

The time has come for Microsoft to be split up into completely separate businesses enjoying separate ownership, ie. listed or privately owned. It happened to Bell (another Monopolist). It's just a matter of time before it happens to MSFT.

Microsoft is failing its shareholders.

Thumb Down

Re: Microsoft the Destroyer

....and yet, their profits went up 18% from this time last year. For a company that is a complete flop in your book, that's pretty impressive. Money talks....

Anonymous Coward

1. They just announced record Windows revenue. This week.

2. Windows Phone is firmly the 3rd mobile OS having overtaken Blackberry and is growing market share faster than Android.

3. Large growth, 1 billion in revenue, or 5K average per customer.

4. Success is success.

5. Great for anyone that wants their software to work without hundreds of runtime versions and the risk of being hacked every other week like Java.

6. It also does almost as much as Oracle - more in some areas - and often does it faster, and has a much much lower TCO.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

7. 18% increase in profit != going bust. Not all of Microsoft's revenue is desktop. Microsoft are forecast to make over $8 billion form the technology they have in Android alone...

8. Actually you do: http://www.zdnet.com/au/me-bank-picks-cheaper-microsoft-stack-over-linux-7000014732/

LOL @ complete ignorance as to what .Net is. "Several runtimes" - actually max 2 installations - versus potentially dozens of seperate installations of Java. Many applications require specific Java versions so you can't even install the latest 'it hasnt been hacked yet this week' version...

Linux would need a virus checker if it ever gets over 1% market share on the desktop...Just look at the Linux malware mess on Android.

I am so glad you pointed Eadons nonsense over .Net.

He has been told over and over that he is fundamentally wrong. His knowledge of .Net is pretty much zero, I would argue that the same goes for Java as well

Anonymous Coward

No It Isn't, Don't Be Stupid

> 2. Windows Phone is firmly the 3rd mobile OS having overtaken Blackberry and is growing market share faster than Android.

I see this untruth repeated so many times now, I think it should go on Snopes.

Happy

Hmm.. Misleading story is misleading...

It less of a TCO, and more of a "We have no clue what were doing, but were comfortable with MS."

Anonymous Coward

Discussion is dead...

I'd really like to have a sensible, mature discussion about MS/FOSS yet on these forums you just can't any more. This is a very sad state of affairs.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Discussion is dead...

You are completely right. Unfortunately, this "sad state of affairs" is mainly due to the self-proclaimed FOSS supporter seen above who can't seem to go any further than spreading anti-MS FUD.

Back on-topic : we run some stuff in the cloud (basically web applications on apache/tomcat). I'm looking to extend this to a couple of Windows-centric services, if the point-to-site stuff actually works as advertised I will definitely check out Azure. Mind you: critical services always run both onsite and in the cloud. Non-critical stuff can be cloud-only for all I care.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - If we're talking about sensible and mature, I'll remind you that you claimed to have had sex with my mother no too long ago. We also know that you have more than one handle here and no-one knows if you post as AC as well, or not. It therefore makes no difference if I post as AC or not.

FAIL

@Eadon : did you hear the one about the pot and the kettle ? Yeah, thought you didn't...

EADON FAIL

Now get your ass over to the comments on the cpanel/apache vulnerability article. Or post something insightful on, I don't know, benefits and caveats of GPLv2/GPLv3/LGPL/MPL. You're the FOSS guy after all.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon: no. I've seen enough of your posts to know that there's nothing "technical" involved, and I don't want to subject myself to further torment by reading the stuff I haven'read yet.. And where comments are "technical" you don't have the balls to step in. The sad thing really is that you do consider yourself to be insightful, technical and intelligent. If I weren't a cynical bastard due to 20 years in IT I might even feel a modicum of compassion... but I am, so I don't.

I used to love El Reg for it's headlines and from time to time insightful pieces, for it's "Friday Beer" articles, and for interesting comments. Right now: meh. I'll go on to pastures new and leave the rest of the commentards stew in Eadon's troll juices.

Headmaster

@Mosquito

"Right now: meh. I'll go on to pastures new and leave the rest of the commentards stew in Eadon's troll juices"

So if you make one more post on El Reg, EVERYONE is justified in calling you a hypocrite.

Goodbye Mosquito. Like your names' sake, you won't be missed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Discussion is dead... @Shagbag

" ... you won't be missed."

Ah - the classic response. Don't act so butthurt, Shagbag. He's digging at Eadon more than anyone else. But then you have said he's a legend today. That's two of you that think that then. Well, possibly two ...

Yeah right.

Next, they'll be claiming everything bright yellow is a Lumia, and quoting figures accordingly.

Holmes

As user of both

It is just a matter of time before Azure overtakes Amazon. It just is a much better service.

I would love to know how many of these ACs are Eadon.

Re: @Nuked

well, thats a lie.

You also post as eadon2

This topic is closed for new posts.