back to article Azure is Microsoft's billion-dollar baby – maybe

Curt Anderson, CFO for Microsoft's Server & Tools Business, was feeling chatty during an interview with Bloomberg, bragging that in the past year Redmond topped the $1bn sales mark with Windows Azure. Or, maybe not. The Bloomberg story doesn't quote whatever Anderson said directly, and if you read down a bit further into the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Microsoft Azure?

Capitalist Titanic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would be VERY careful with MS quoting figures

One of the longest standing observations about Microsoft's use of any figures and statistics is that you have to very carefully check them. They are spectacularly good at, umm, "re-interpreting" numbers to fit whatever they are trying to sell you, to the point where I have started to discard anything they say until I had time to evaluate the data for myself.

This is why they like using numbers in presentations: fact checking is a lot harder live, and don't count on them mentioning sources and method of evaluation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I would be VERY careful with MS quoting figures

Actually, what you say can be said about any large corporation. Or politician for that matter.

1. Getriebe
        Pirate

Re: I would be VERY careful with MS quoting figures

@AC 11:39 Excatly - how you interpret the set of complex figures is very open to, err, well, ahem - interpretation

Azure is a mix of services, SaaS and IaaS - however it gets its income doesn't matter. Why should it?

3. Shagbag
    FAIL

Microsoft the Destroyer

This is further evidence of Microsoft destroying shareholder value. Let's take time out to look at Microsoft's recent history of stillborn products:

1. Windows 8 - no one wants it.

2. Windows Phone - I saw a guy with a windows phone, once.

3. Azure - no take up.

4. Windows XP - a product whose perceived 'success' is due in no small part to Microsoft's monopoly position and a lack of viable alternatives at the time.

5. .NET - great for Windows Devs. Not so great for anyone else.

6.. SQL Server - hey, it's cheaper than Oracle.

and the list goes on...

The time has come for Microsoft to be split up into completely separate businesses enjoying separate ownership, ie. listed or privately owned. It happened to Bell (another Monopolist). It's just a matter of time before it happens to MSFT.

Microsoft is failing its shareholders.

1. MisterBombastic
      Thumb Down

Re: Microsoft the Destroyer

....and yet, their profits went up 18% from this time last year. For a company that is a complete flop in your book, that's pretty impressive. Money talks....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft the Destroyer

1. They just announced record Windows revenue. This week.

2. Windows Phone is firmly the 3rd mobile OS having overtaken Blackberry and is growing market share faster than Android.

3. Large growth, 1 billion in revenue, or 5K average per customer.

4. Success is success.

5. Great for anyone that wants their software to work without hundreds of runtime versions and the risk of being hacked every other week like Java.

6. It also does almost as much as Oracle - more in some areas - and often does it faster, and has a much much lower TCO.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No It Isn't, Don't Be Stupid

> 2. Windows Phone is firmly the 3rd mobile OS having overtaken Blackberry and is growing market share faster than Android.

I see this untruth repeated so many times now, I think it should go on Snopes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Discussion is dead...

I'd really like to have a sensible, mature discussion about MS/FOSS yet on these forums you just can't any more. This is a very sad state of affairs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Discussion is dead...

You are completely right. Unfortunately, this "sad state of affairs" is mainly due to the self-proclaimed FOSS supporter seen above who can't seem to go any further than spreading anti-MS FUD.

Back on-topic : we run some stuff in the cloud (basically web applications on apache/tomcat). I'm looking to extend this to a couple of Windows-centric services, if the point-to-site stuff actually works as advertised I will definitely check out Azure. Mind you: critical services always run both onsite and in the cloud. Non-critical stuff can be cloud-only for all I care.

5. Mr Spock

Yeah right.

Next, they'll be claiming everything bright yellow is a Lumia, and quoting figures accordingly.

6. Himalayaman
    Holmes

As user of both

It is just a matter of time before Azure overtakes Amazon. It just is a much better service.

7. nuked

I would love to know how many of these ACs are Eadon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like