Feeds

back to article Next Xbox to be called ‘Xbox Infinity’... er... ‘Xbox’

The next Xbox will be called the Xbox Infinity, if a piccy of an allegedly leaked logo is to be believed. Or perhaps it’ll just be plain Xbox, as a separate, equally unofficial, just as questionable logo suggests. The Xbox Infinity - not actually a name, just the word XBOX with an infinity symbol superscript - and the tagline “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Internet connection required

Another rumour on IGN about requiring an always on internet connection to use it. I hope these are wrong, otherwise my 360 is going to be sitting in my living room for a few more years yet.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Internet connection required

Can I ask why?

I see lots of posts about this but I don't really see an issue these days with high penetration of broadband and high speed services now.

Maybe I am missing something though!?

Black Helicopters

It cam fast in the tracks of the Always On DRM in SimCity - which was universally hated - I think a lot of people didn't distinguish.

The question should be - Why does a box you play games on need to be online all the time? What else is it doing? If it is set up download the 2 hour long patch for online gaming for a game I am using, then fair enough.

I dusted off a PS3 to play Little Big Planets, and gave up because of the download times... so that is one thing.

Anonymous Coward

Gamers are idiots for the most part.

Someone on the internet told them that Xbox gaming was worth every penny of the Xbox Live Gold fees, and it only amounted to 10p a day nonsense.

They went off and believed every word of it.

No I wonder who it was telling everyone that Xbox Live Gold was great and PSN was shit... Let me guess...

Back in the real world, Xbox Live Gold owners get online play for £40 a year. PS3 owners get that for free, and if they have £40 spare to splash about ( also 10p a day ), they can get REAL value with Playstation+

I have no doubt that Microsoft will plough forward with their always on, as history has shown, they can market their way out of every problem, they even managed to make idiots believe RROD was a small-scale problem affecting only a few consoles, and gamers should still reward them with their money.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Internet connection required @GeorgeTuk

We had a lightning strike in our village that took out the mains power for half a day (I think,) and phone lines for over 3 days. (Also destroyed someone's chimney in quite spectacular fashion.) If you can't use the Internet, it would at least be nice to use your console. Granted, it's an unlikely scenario, but ...

Because it's entirelyt unnecessary for any reason that's of benefit to me, it's only a benefit to microsoft.

And it's part of the slow erosion of ownership . I will own my xbox but I won't be able to use it without it checking in to microsoft's servers for no reason other than to enforce the fact that they control what can be done with the machine, not the person who bought it.

It's not an terrible thing in ittsself, it's what it represents. Would you buy a washing machine where every time you wanted to use it you had to call the manufacturer and ask their permission to do so, and the could at some point just say no you need to buy a new machine? Of course you wouldn't, it would be terribly intrusive and of no benefit to you, so why accept this?

Thumb Down

Because penetration of high-speed broadband is terrible, especially in the United States. Even in major metropolitan areas you can't always get a good, reliable connection. There are tons of internet dead zones where you just can't get any sort of reasonable hookup.

Me, for instance. I don't live in the middle of nowhere; I'm in a suburb of a small city. There's no wired internet on my street. No cable, no DSL, no nothing. All the streets around have it, just not this one. (Cable won't run up here because 'everyone already has a dish for their TV'.)

This is a lot more common than people think.

(My choices for internet are 3G cellular, at $70 a month and they recompress every single jpeg that coms over; Satellite, at $400 install and $80 a month for a tiny cap and latency so terrible you can barely run a shell terminal, much less play a game; ISDN at $700 a month; or a T1 at $2600 a month.)

I already have enough problems with Steam deciding I can't play my games because it can't phone home. I don't need that on my consoles, too.

Silver badge

Had a problem with BT Infinity + two weeks ago due to the weather. Loaded up Fallout with some DLC. Because the game couldn't connect to the internet (ok it did warn me I wouldn't be able to play the DLC but didn't fully appreciate what that meant) it stripped me of all my DLC perks (including those I picked during level up) and gear I had earned in them (though not the levels thankfully). I only had the autosave as I don't want to have the old I'll load twenty saves ago and it it this was instead trick as I wanted a bit of a challenge.

Every time I fire the xbox up it kicks every other device in the house off the broadband and they have to reconnect so now I generally play off line unless I want to play multiplayer (or need to prove I paid for dlc (bloody DRM)). If the next one makes even bigger demands on the bandwidth and needs it or it won’t work, there’s just no point. BTW I live in a fairly decent sized town about four or five miles from two exchanges and the broadband service from every provider is pathetic. Only BT fibre offers me faster (only just) access than on my phone no one else is going to pay to install or upgrade equipment here.

Silver badge

Maybe you are.

Your internet connection breaks. Your ISP says it will take 6-10 Working days to fix. You decide to sit down and play a singleplayer game to take the edge off.

The game, and I stress this again, is singleplayer. it runs completely on your console, not some remote server. It uses no online content at any point.

But you can't, because some idiot decided that your console shyould always be online.

A few months later, you decide to visit some relatives. These relatives live in a rural area where internet connections are spotty... so they never bothered with one.

You thought you might take your console to play a few party games that have no online component

But you can't, because some idiot decided your console should be online only.

When it comes to "online only", the question shouldn't be "Why not", but "Why the hell should it be?".

JDX
Gold badge

There were rumours the PS4 would be like that too. They are merely rumours.

Anonymous Coward

Why buy Xbox Live...? (...no User-Maps for Call of Duty 4 & Far Cry 2...)

"MS is making a bomb from its "gold" XBox subscription, or whatever it is called"...

I've only used free trials of Xbox Live... Can someone tell me why gamers buy Xbox Gold when games can't be extended beyond what's sold on Xbox Live Marketplace? For instance you can FREELY download unlimited new User-Maps maps for COD4 & COD2 & Far Cry 2 for the PC. But you cannot do this on Xbox. Having new maps hugely extends the lifetime of games almost to the point of reinventing the game. The diversity of maps for COD2 / COD4 and Far Cry2 can often surpass the built-in maps in later titles in the series IMHO! I don't get it! Does Xbox Live have far better network latency, is that it? Or is MS blatantly taking advantage of the fact that gaming PC's are out of fashion, and often expensive....?

Anonymous Coward

"I see lots of posts about this but I don't really see an issue these days with high penetration of broadband and high speed services now. Maybe I am missing something though!?"

#1 Reason: Power Failure: Can't access internet or work from home. But hey I've got plenty of juice in the laptop battery so I'll play a SINGLE-PLAYER game.... No Sorry! Always-on DRM, prevents you from playing an offline single-player game!!!

Anonymous Coward

"Can I ask why?" :-

I posed this before... As a games designer not living in perfect Stepford-Silicon-Valley... I can think of 6 quick reasons connections to games servers can be routinely interrupted or severed :-

1. Laptop power failure: i.e. Auto-sleep mode triggered due to power cable slipping out of laptop unnoticed.

2. Power outages: i.e. Total power loss to your Router after a storm even if the laptop runs off its battery.

3. Wi-Fi signal temporarily goes out of range / Router crashes / Router resets itself or changes channel.

4. Wi-Fi interference from 3rd party devices in nearby dwellings operating on same gigahertz freq.

5. Regional problems: Telcos exchange maintenance / capacity upgrades / Utility accidentally severs cables.

6. Local problems: Office building re-wiring maintenance / nearby apartment building rewiring maintenance.

"...I hear that there are..."

so you are quoting what could be hearsay? Thats very unlike you Eadon...

There are some ads in the UI, mainly for other games, you can normally see them when you visit the store. Or, if you want to stretch it further, there are tiles in the various parts of the UI that tell you what you could install.

For example, there are tiles that take you to the download of Netflix etc.

I am not sure what you point is with this post, other than the standard "I hate MS bullcrap". Maybe you should try using a 360 before spreading FUD? or at least, get a clue?

Oh, and I think the monthly tithe is about £4, but normally you pay that up front. If memory serves, getting 12 months is cheaper in the long run to getting 6 months. And thats for a Gold subscription. A lot of younger players rely on XBL gift cards from family to keep this up.

Anonymous Coward

Give how many people are obsessed with online play you obviously realise that the majority of serious gamers would laugh at any system that was completely offline?

Anonymous Coward

The word on the street is that the performance of XBox Live is better than PSN. Not to mention the god awful security in PSN.

Anonymous Coward

4G Mifi, you're back in the game.

Given how many services people use online it's pretty important to have a net connection in general.

Silver badge
Stop

> Give how many people are obsessed with online play you obviously realise that the majority of serious gamers would laugh at any system that was completely offline?

The issue is not either on or off. It is requiring online connection for games that are single player.

The way our PS3 is now is fine. If you want to play online, you can, but you don't need an internet connection to play an offline game.

"There were rumours the PS4 would be like that too. They are merely rumours."

Sony officially denied those rumours. The PS4 *WON'T* require an always on connection.

The funny thing is, despite the UBER backlash since the "Orthgate", Microsoft never did any damage control to officially deny the always on requirement on the next Xbox. This is so negative to their business that they would have denied it if it wasn't true.

Bronze badge
Coat

Power failure is relatively easy to work around. Few 12V batteries + car adapter can power a laptop for days. And it's probably not too geeky to possess such artifacts.

Resisting all that newfangled onlineware is a much more daunting task. This will certainly draw lots of suspicion, accusations, insults. From relatively mild "what's wrong with being online" and "that's where the technology is evolving", to more hysterical accusations of general backwardness. Eventually reaching for the accusations of evil geekery.

/a no-line coat, thank you very much/

FAIL

It's all about more control for the manufacturer / content provider and less for you, the customer. Simple as that.

Potential problem with Microsoft business model for the new Xbox:

1- Your console, games and accessories has an expiration date on them. Because it's always on, the day Microsoft eventually / inevitably discontinue server support is the day they decide ***FOR YOU*** it's time to upgrade.

2- You don't own anything anymore, you rent the right to use. So when MS pull the plug on the server connection, you'll be the proud owner of a useless >1200.00$ paper weight with no resell value whatsoever.

3- If ANYTHING of the following fails for 3 minutes and the problem persist for 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week or 1 month, no gaming for you until it's fixed: Xbox network card, router, modem, ISP connection, anything between your ISP and Microsoft server, Microsoft server themselves or even humans error on MS end.

4- 500GB hard drive on every model and game full install on hard drive for every game imply controlling and blocking second-hand game. Not only your game will have ZERO value when the console become unusable as per point 1, but the game you just bought an hour ago has zero resell value on DAY 1, reinforcing the renting philosophy of point 2

5- Point 4 also indicate that MS will completely discontinue physical media distribution (DVD/ Blu Ray) to force you to purchase and download all your content directly from the Microsoft store. That fit with their recent massive cloud / online push with Office 365, Windows 8 Metro store for PC, phone and tablet and now the new console. MS will control everything from top to bottom with no competition to drive the cost down. A digital gulag with Balmer as its master.

6- At least a gold subscription is mandatory for EVERYTHING, even to use something as insignificant as Youtube. That would obviously include access to the MS store to purchase your other stuff!!! You need to pay Microsoft in order to have the right to buy stuff. Isn't that great?

7- Pay to win. More and more games have payable "DLC", some borderline necessary to complete the game. You end-up paying many times the original price of the game. This is not a problem exclusive to Microsoft, but they didn't addressed it either, they encourage it. Especially now that everything will go through their MS store.

So basically, MS business model is the following: "We don't give a f*ck, we got you by the balls anyway, we control everything, shut-up and give us your money".

They want to create a closed ecosystem concentration camp where you have no power, where you pay for everything but own nothing, with a recurrent renting scheme where you are never done sending them money over and over again, for the rest of your life.

Even if only half of this is true, Sony is 12 billion percent guaranteed to get my business this round.

Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft never did any damage control to officially deny the always on requirement on the next Xbox. This is so negative to their business that they would have denied it if it wasn't true."

Microsoft hasn't released ANY details about the new XBox. Are you suggesting that fanbois are getting so angry about this whole notion of "always on" that they will refuse to buy a new Xbox even if it turns out that it can be used offline? You won't be able to buy one of these boxes for months after the May 21st reveal anyway, so how damaging can it really be to wait until May 21st to address this issue?

Anonymous Coward

Congratulations, you have fallen for Microsofts internet fed myths.

PSN is actually better. But then Xbox Live users don't want to hear bad news like this, so are very keen to block bad news stories like this out.

Why is PSN better? Because unlike Xbox Live, it uses dedicated servers for it's exclusives, and the reason dedicated servers are better than the rubbish P2P network that Microsoft have thrown together on a shoestring? Dedicated servers don't slow to the slowest connected player. When Xbox owners all lag, it's because someone joined the game with a slow connection, as a result EVERYONE slows to that speed regardless of their connection speed, it's how server-less P2P gaming networks work.

So when someone tells you that Xbox Live is better, you can correct them and point out that not everything they read on the internet is true. Infact most of it's utter horseshit, and that stench is especially strong around Microsoft....

Now now Eadon - only one trolling post per thread.

Meh

So, all your mates are on, say, Xbox and play station is better how exactly?

I get the geeky tech specs, but often (sorry, no citation) it's about social. By social I mean shooting your friends to pieces.

In this perspective always on doesn't change much as without it there is no social shooting.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Dedicated servers

Is there ?

I don't think so, all the games I have played are Peer to Peer, and some are big.

Bronze badge

As far as I have seen to date, the people with the biggest obsession with online play are the people that own the servers....

"It's extremely likely that MS will insist on "Always On". Given that they pressed ahead with (un)Metro UI despite howls of anguish, it's also likely they will not back down here either."

Be careful counting those chickens. There have been rumblings from within MS that the Always On "Requirement" is not a requirement at all. Merely that software publishers can require that the connection is always on. Much like they can do with the current xbox and playstation.

"MS is making a bomb from its "gold" XBox subscription, or whatever it is called, where the peons pay it a monthly tithe, so MS would rather enhance that business model, even it it means a few rebels leave the Xbox platform. MS doesn't care about those weirdos anyway..."

And? MS is a business. You don't want Xbox Gold, not having it will not stop you using the xbox (unless you like multiplayer games).

"On a related note, I hear that there are ads plastered everywhere in the XBox "experience" even for customers that paid in full for the console and for the subscription. That would really p*ss me off, why do people tolerate this abuse of their custom?

In the same way that people tolerate those non-skippable anti-piracy ads on DVDs that they PAID for also, I guess. Fools!"

Get off your high horse and actually *try* an xbox, will you? You get ads for services and products available using the xbox (such as lovefilm and netflix). It's nothing like the Ubuntu Unity style sell out you appear to be implying it is.

Anonymous Coward

Infinity

Because that's how long it will take Microsoft to fix the hardware problems the launch units will almost certainly come with in their rush to launch.

Silver badge
Windows

Both could be right

Don't forget there are two separate but linked products carrying the xBox name - the console, and on-line gaming service/app store. Something about the colour scheme and font makes me think that perhaps the second photo refers to the on-line service, which has been referred to as plain "xbox" for a while now.

GJC

Anonymous Coward

Like hard disk names in the 90s/early 2000s if you use up all your superlatives by the fourth generation, you don't have anywhere to go and need to think of a better naming convention...

Where do you go from infinity? The Xbox Ultrafinity? Nah, I hope they've not gone for infinity...

Anonymous Coward

Beyond, obviously.

Xbox Infinity + 1

obv.

Paris Hilton

they should simply call each console the Xbox, and then retrospectively rename each generation of the old consoles as ex-box, ex-ex-box, and my favourite; the ex-ex-ex-box!

Paris, because she's third generation ex-ex-ex....

Bronze badge
Coat

they should simply call each console the Xbox, and then retrospectively rename each generation of the old consoles as ex-box, ex-ex-box, and my favourite; the ex-ex-ex-box!

and not forgetting the Australian version, the four-ex-box

That's when you get to do a 'back to basics' rebranding exercise a la Windows 7, so it'd be Xbox 4

Silver badge

With developments in flexible electronic components, the 3rd generation of Xbox will be named the Xbag.

Bronze badge
Happy

Maths joke alert

They're obviously trying to appeal to all the gaming-adics

Anonymous Coward

beyond infinity would be

Aleph-1

Silver badge

Xbox Aleph_1? Xbox 2^aleph_0? Xbox continuum sounds, well, I'm not sure how it sounds.

Gold badge
Happy

They could call it the neXtBox, but I suppose they'd get sued...

Otherwise it'll be Infinity this time, and back to boring 4 next time. Or they could do an Apple, and just call it the New XBox or even just XBox.

Joke

We can call it the XBox 42. After all 42 is the answer to the ultimate question.

Silver badge

"That's when you get to do a 'back to basics' rebranding exercise a la Windows 7, so it'd be Xbox 4"

The 4th generation version will come in a carton instead of a box and be the X-Tetra Pak.

Silver badge

I've heard ...

... it will come with a Hom Office-approved electronic ankle tag peripheral, and be called the asboX

Silver badge

Re: I've heard ...

...there will be a version specially for cured syphalitics...

... it will be called the 'Ex-Pox'.

I have this nagging feeling that the new Xbox will be underwhelming. The 360 at launch was basically a noisy brute loaded with overheating PC components with average specs... if this trend continues then we won't be blown away.

My money's on deeper Kinect integration too... count me out.

JDX
Gold badge

Well the PS4 has switched to using standard PC components...

meh

Im not to bothered about the next gen xbox its the one after that im looking forward to xbox infinity +1

Silver badge
Linux

"Xbox ~ Introducing a new way to pay" ~ There, fixed that for you $MS

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.