back to article LG beats Samsung to OLED flexi-TV with hella pricey 55-incher

At this year's CES, both LG and Samsung proclaimed that concave OLED screens are the next big thing in televisual entertainment, and promised working systems. Now LG has began taking orders for a 55-inch model and will begin deliveries next month. LG's 55-inch curved OLED TV screen Great curves, shame about the price The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Meh

Who will buy

Now with all the social security benefit cuts in the UK they will sell very few here, the market being restricted to rich people and Members of Parliament expenses.

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Who will buy

You think that the unemployed were a big market for ultra-wide screen TVs? Rich people and those on expenses have always been the only target buyers for these devices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You want to have a tour of your unemployment hotspots, the benefit culture is alive. 9 out of 10 have massive TVs but don't have sheets for their beds, carpets for their floors and send their kids to get a packet of chips for tea, they do of course have money for cigarettes and alcohol.

I deal with this all the time, I go to houses where the benefits culture leaves them with more disposable income than I have. In one particular case a family on benefits where claiming £2000 per WEEK. That is a fact, and also a fact that they had three foreign holidays a year.

Apparently this will now be reduced to £750 per week and they claim it will leave them in hardship. It is also in the north of England and not in the London area.

1. M Gale

" In one particular case a family on benefits where claiming £2000 per WEEK."

See above under "fiddling the system". I know plenty of people who are, or have been in t'club, as some owd pit-folk might say around here. Been in it myself from time to time. The only ones who end up with appreciable amounts of money are either somehow on disability, on the fiddle, or are selling pot on the side. Divide that two-grand amount by nearly ten and you'll get closer to what I've seen 2 and 3-child families existing on.

Of course I've seen some irresponsible twats who'd prefer a big sheet of glowing glass over food in their child's belly too, but try not to paint all people on the dole in this way, eh?

2. M Gale

Let me enlighten you

If someone is "unemployed" and also has a huge flat screen TV and very nice car, then they are either:

(a) very recently unemployed

(b) fiddling the system

(c) a drug dealer

And even in the case of (c), that's only the stupid dealers who want to show the world what they do for a living.

2. 404

I believe...

..I'll wait til it's stocked at Walmart at a reasonable price.*

O.o

*Remember when everything went flat? Here comes the new fashion... lord...

1. Lukester

Re: I believe...

Still light enough to be carried away by looters. Jeremy Kyle will look good on that!

2. Captain DaFt

Yep, I can see the ads now: "Flat is out, if you want to be in, get bent!"

1. John Riddoch
        Joke

"Curvy is Pervy"

"Bendy is Trendy"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is the use case for this?

If you want to fit your TV snugly in a corner? I'm sure some people with more money than sense will buy it because they think it'll be cool to show off to their friends, but beyond that who wants a TV that can bend? At least a phone that bends enough to fold over would provide some benefit, but a TV??

I'd happily buy a 55" OLED if they didn't cost as much as a car.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is the use case for this?

I happen to have a nearly tailor-made use case for it, actually - close-quarters viewing for simulation. Curved (convex, that is) display surfaces can indeed have quite an advantage in terms of immersion - if the geometry is right. But if you're 15 feet from the thing it'll just look bent.

The price is still a bit on the high side, but for the right customer it could make sense given that the set of hardware as a whole is approaching the $100k point as it is.

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

Viewing angle = 0

It's used to be that if you didn't sit dead center in front of the TV, you got a horrible picture. Now if you don't get your TV mounting perfectly flat, everybody gets a lousy view.

I'm trying to figure out why somebody would want/need a bendy TV.

1. P. Lee
      Holmes

Re: Viewing angle = 0

Who wants a bendy TV?

Some company which wants to wrap its advertising billboard around a pillar.

1. cnapan

Re: Viewing angle = 0

With tv sizes getting to the point where they won't fit through the door, I think a bendy telly is a must-have feature in the coming years!

(I believe this was also a problem with mattresses!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Also, to El Reg: Is this actually flexible? You call it 'flexible' about 30 different times, but unless it's "reinforced" with some kind of remarkable squishy carbon fiber, I fail to see how it is anything but *curved*. Does 'flexible' just mean 'not straight' in the Queen's English, or are you just using the word because it sounds good?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually the article does not refer to the EA9800 as being flexible, the use of the term is for other as yet unannounced models

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

So just when we finally get rid of CRTs and have flat screens we're now starting to curve the screens the other way?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Giles

Concave is the NEW convex!!

8. cnapan
    Pint

How things have changed...

Nowadays, the budding intellectual talks down the size of their telly, or pretends to make do without one at all. (Oi! No cheating with your laptops and tablets though).

To admit to a VLT (very large telly) is a bit like admitting your dinner comes from a different takeaway every night, or that you have, recently, wondered whether it is time to purchase a onesie.

I'm off to read an existential german novel. (Maybe).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like