Feeds

back to article Galaxy S4 radiant, but has black holes

Samsung's Galaxy S4 is as wonderfully polished as you would expect from the Korean manufacturer's latest flagship, but the software the company says turns it into a “life companion” will be an acquired taste for many. Samsung yesterday officially launched the S4 for Australians at a lavish event staged at Sydney's Opera House. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

"We'll happily put that down to the presence of Android 4.2.2 which remains, I feel, a mixed bag because its mixed user interface metaphors offer plenty of chances for early user confusion."

Care to elaborate?

Anonymous Coward

Great interface and home page, that will be sadly be replaced with the Facebook app by Zuckermans minions.

(Written by Reg staff)

Sure. I personally find Android's mix of Apps and Widgets, combined with customisations from manufacturers, means I need to spend a good 15 minutes customising Android handsets so the interface is to my liking. And my liking is for a very consistent and clean experience.

That's NOT me saying everything should behave like iOS. Rather it's a statement that I feel Android is a little untidy and inconsistent.

Anonymous Coward

It appears to be packed with everything and anything but let's be realistic, how many people use every feature on a smart phone?

Is it missing anything?

Unhappy

Is it missing anything?

Does it have rSAP? seems most are not bothering with the only decent car interface.

Every new iteration of mobiles seems to be give with one hand and take with the other.

Bronze badge

Even if nobody uses all features, different people use different features.

FAIL

why ?

so why hav'nt they put the oct core in everyone ?i know the uk has'nt got it .. shame really as it was going to be my next upgrade ..

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Exacttly so. Having just made the move back from iOS to Android I enjoy being able to control things a bit more, but on the other hand I have to control things more to fix things that don't need fixing (for my personal taste) under iOS. Swings and roundabouts.

Terminator

15 minutes? I fail to see how this is an issue... If you'd said a day, then I'd agree.

Personally, the ability to customise it massively outweighs the time to do so.

On the very rare occasions when I do a full wipe, it takes longer for my installed apps to redownload (automatically, though) than it does for me to customise the home screens.

Also, on the discussion of lag, I can't help but feel that this is Samsung's issue more than Android itself. I have the original Sensation running a kang of CM 10.1 (Albinoman887, for those that are interested) and don't have any issues with lag.

(Isn't it time for a Google/Android icon?)

Silver badge

Re: Is it missing anything?

>Does it have rSAP?

http://www.android-rsap.com/compatibility.html would suggest that it does. Curiously, my uber-geek mate (the sort who always sticks his previous gen Samsung Galaxy on eBay a day before the official announcement of the next model) drives a recent Audi, and he likes the integration. A nice car, but he only discovered that he has to put anti-feeeze in his windscreen in winter when he crashed into a parked car a few months back... a selectively-smart chap.

Silver badge
Pint

15 minutes customising

The price of flexibility... and let's be fair, 15 minutes spent customising on the first time out of the box is pretty small potatoes - imagine how long you spend installing and customising all the applications and settings with a new, fresh-out-of-the-box PC.

I guess the initial setup is geared towards what the average person is most likely to want - we in the tech game are a bit more demanding :)

Pint - to look forward to once the setup is complete and I can relax in the knowledge of a job well done.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it missing anything? @Dave126

But that link doesn't mention the S4 at all!

the SII had rSap native support straight out of the box without needing this install it yourself rSAP app which requires a rooted phone!

Silver badge

Yes, but you CAN configure it how you want it.

Silver badge

Is it missing anything?

AIUI it's got a IR trasmitter on it.

Next step would be a 433MHz transmitter for various RF remotes and DECT for when the phone is at home.

(My DSL router-cum-PBX - a Fritzbox - is a Dect base station with an app to treat wifi-based smartphones as internal extensions when they're in the house, but wifi range is a bit "lacking")

Re: why ?

I rather agree it's a shame about the Oct core version not being available in the UK and other territories. The premise of a low power chip performing the humble tasks, that kicks in the hight power chip as necessary, seems a sensible and battery saving measure ( though I don't really see why the low power chip required 4 cores).

My understanding is the the Octa chip isn't in various territories because they couldn't make it work with 4G (which is present or rolling out in those territories). Can't think why given they'd have designed the chip in full knowledge of the time-scales and technical challenges of 4G, but there you go.

Apparently 70% of UK chips will be snapdragon and the rest Octa so it may be that they sell those via networks that won't make use of 4g for the next couple of years. Apologies if any of the info in this is inaccurate - it's just what I gathered after researching the same question when they did the NY launch.

This post has been deleted by its author

Go

Pre-ordered

I've been stung by the poor software on HTC handsets, so this time I'm going where the action is. I have never used a S3, so all the reviews that directly compare the two are a bit pointless to me. This handset will be bang up to date for ages (Sensation XE was superseded within a month of ownership) and has enough of a balance of gimmicks and power to keep my interest. So what if S-translate is muck? Sat nav on the 5" screen will make up for that for me personally.

Swings and roundabouts, this one being more swings...

Silver badge

Re: Galaxy SII was superb! But I covet a pure Linux phone Stack!

That's nice dear.

Silver badge

>As an Alpha Geek

No, you are a geek who is still in the alpha-testing stage... let us know when you have reached version 0.9 or higher.

If you had reached a release-ready level of personal development, you would know that the Galaxy S4 is a 'Ubuntu phone':

Ubuntu for Phone will be another OS alternative to Phones, specially Smart Phones, that works with any phones that carry Android and have the minimum hardware requirements posted above. Phones like Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG and others that offer Android will be able to install Ubuntu for Phone on them.

-http://askubuntu.com/questions/235317/what-is-ubuntu-touch-ubuntu-for-phones-and-how-to-get-it

Given that the Galaxy range of phones are popular amongst geeks, its seems reasonable to assume that it will be a handset better supported by the Ubuntu effort. Anyway, I thought you preferred Mint?

Anonymous Coward

Whenever anyone describes themselves as an "Alpha Geek", I always assume they look like this.

Silver badge

Real geeks will be dual booting.

Real Alpha geeks will be triple booting Android,Ubuntu and Mozilla.

Insane geeks will throw in another version of Android and quad boot, for those moments you just need a faster running game.

Eadon will remain a beginner, aspiring to geekness but lacking any clue how to achieve it.

Silver badge

>Whenever anyone describes themselves as an "Alpha Geek", I always assume they look like this.

If they ever do a live-version of the Simpsons, that bloke is a shoe-in for the comic-store guy.

Silver badge

Eadon "I am a master (literally) of physics, mathematics and software engineering"

Does the use of "literally" mean you have a master's degree? Or that you really are a master of all these things? If the latter, who is writing most of your El Reg comments?

WTF?

"...I am a master (literally) of physics, mathematics and software engineering..."

This has to be a wind up?

Anonymous Coward

a master baiter, maybe.

Flame

No, Eadon, no.

The Art of War states that the best commanders *create* a situation such that they don't have to draw battle to win (and, in a separate passage, a quite important à propos point is made on the mastery of "infinite varieties").

That is a completely different thing from supposedly "not having to fight" .

If you don't understand that, maybe instead of getting a triple Master's you should have had invested your time in developing reading comprehension? Oh, and, BTW, Sun Tzu also had a thing or ten to say about hubris as well.

Gimp

Citation needed.

Lets see your work.

Anonymous Coward

Mentioning degree(s) you may or may not hold does not add any validity to your comment. Just like it doesn't with some people who insist signing their emails with their degree(s) and Hons. I've found that generally the people who boast about the degrees are pretty much completely useless. Then you get some people who have degrees who are clever and useful and find no need to mention the degree(s) unless explicitly asked.

Bronze badge

iPhone 5 still leading the market.

Not one of the issues cited in that review would be tolerated in an iPhone. Another weak, ersatz iPhone bodged together from off the shelf components. Hopeless.

Anonymous Coward

Re: iPhone 5 still leading the market.

Yawn...Samsung would never now accept a maps application that points you in the wrong direction, has places in the wrong place, has imagery that looks like it was printed on jelly then dropped on the kitchen floor, has an antennae that has to be held a certain way to get it to work, has a UI where some apps have to have black bars down the side, has a primary desktop that is nothing more than rows of icons, etc etc.

Every phone has it's faults. The iPhone's are just more serious and actually affect real-world use.

Silver badge

Ah yes, barely usable Maps system. That wouldn't be tolerated either?

Ah sorry, I shouldn't feed the troll..

I have an iphone 5

I am still flabbergasted at how pants the map app is.

Bronze badge

I have a 4s, and have had no problems with Apple Maps.

Silver badge
WTF?

I guess this is why Android is outselling Apple.

Yours is Apple logic.

LPF

So what your saying that loads of manufacturers and crap loads of cheap android phones, just about manages to sell more than one manufacturer ??

LOL Think about that for a second ;)

Coat

I have an SII and have also had no problem with Apple Maps...

Anonymous Coward

Oh no's - the ios 6 maps app is pants!!!!

If only the locked-down iphone allowed another mapping application to be installed into it's walled-garden like android let's you

and just for the alpha-geeks out there, yes, this is sarcasm.

Rob
Bronze badge
Go

You phrased that incorrectly, Samsung is outselling Apple, it just so happens that Samsung's flagship OS is Android.

Android as an OS was well on it's way to market saturation before Samsung kicked up a gear due to the amount of manufacturers selling various amounts of handsets at different price points, that was always the key ingredient to it's market share success. Samsung has just helped hammer that last nail in Apple's coffin (unless they start doing some amazing innovation with their handsets that helps them claw back some market share).

Anonymous Coward

@LPF

Did you honestly just 'LOL' on a Register comment?

Oh dear, what has happened to this place? I'm presuming you weren't physically LingOL?

Gold badge
Mushroom

FFS, when will they "get it"?

....but the software........will be an acquired taste for many.

Look, it's very simple. Make the bloody thing and put on the OS and hardware-specific apps required to make the whole device work (camera etc). Add your cruft as ordinary user apps that can be removed / replaced / whatever. Host same pointless cruftapps on the app storeplay skool, limited to users of your device, for updates (as you already do) and just in case anyone who dumped 'em wants 'em back.

Easier to do, makes your OS update process quicker / cheaper / simpler and avoids pissing off that large chunk of your user base who hate the added crapware. Get it right.

Those who buy the thing because your FaceTwitWank app is better than others' offerings will still do so and you may just sell a few more to those who want it for its capabilities.

Don't take this personally Samsung, I'm looking at everyone here.

Anonymous Coward

Re: FFS, when will they "get it"?

The thing is most phones are still bought by the networks rather than as outright, meaning providers have a big sway with handset makers. Also, your average mobile phone user doesn't care what software is on the phone as long as it plays angry birds.

A Nexus device surely?

Megaphone

@TeeCee that is the perfect solution. Honestly I read this review thinking that it's a shame that I just won't even consider what is obviously a nice bit of tin because of the Samsung crapware that gets loaded on (and I can't be doing with the faff of rooting and applying custom roms). I hope someone in Samsung is getting this feedback - "Wake up! You are actually losing customers because of this"!

Devil

I agree with you. However.

Unique selling point.

Self declared smart people think this is very important and they are entitled to a lot of money because of this. And they don't have to meet a single customer. Ever.

"Add your cruft as ordinary user apps that can be removed / replaced / whatever."

??? Just disable the ones you don't want - on the screen where you uninstall apps there's a disable button for system/preinstalled apps.

Its pretty easy...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.