Feeds

back to article First batch of Firefox OS phones sells out in hours

The first batch of phones based on the Mozilla Foundation's open source Firefox OS has sold out, mere hours after they were announced for sale. As we press the big, red Publish button on this story, Geeksphone, the Spanish startup that designed and built the devices, has shut down its online store, replacing it with a notice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

I'll wait...

For the Ubuntu phone.

But congratulations to FF. I sincerely hope they are a worthy competitor.

Re: I'll wait...

I downloaded the Ubuntu Touch beta. Imho, it has a UX that makes Windows 8 look like it was designed by a genius.

I'm sure it will be good for some people, but there are far too many (well, actually everything is) hidden behind non-intuitive gestures. And in many cases the gestures are overloaded (depending on where you gesture from). Worse, some parts simply don't work because of positioning (app tray getting in the way).

I've played with the Firefox OS simulator, and whilst it's a less "powerful" OS, it's a hell of a lot more user friendly than Ubuntu Touch. I was sceptical of Firefox OS, but it looks like it will be a perfectly usable OS for the majority of people (most don't need complex apps that can't be made HTML 5).

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous Coward

You mean you actually like Ubuntu? I'm all for Debian, but Ubuntu? Come now, enough of this nonsense.

Anonymous Coward

You can install Ubuntu on the Nexus4 now...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

I would also like to know how many actual phones were sold, 10? As this stinks of a publicity stunt. Particularly given handsets that can boot FirefoxOS have been available for months...

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/02/27/experimental-firefox-os-software-for-xperia-e-available-for-developers-rom/

NB
Joke

Debian? Pah! Real men use Arch ;)

Happy

As a desktop OS, Ubuntu is hard to beat. I don't think I'd want it on a phone, though.

This post has been deleted by its author

Meh

I agree, the Ubuntu phone is looking better the FF phone this in my opinion. The multi-tasking looks much better on Ubuntu than Android with a complete luncher that can be accessed at any time to start programs or to search the phone/Internet sources. It has many innovations that I think are worth the wait. As far as user friendlessness mentioned here already. I'm sure it will take all of 30 seconds to learn that swiping in from each screen edge triggers an clearly understandable action.

Do we know how many they had for sale? If they only had 10 of each model this wouldn't be such a big story...

Joke

"The two developer devices offered for sale included the Keon, an entry-level model with a low-resolution screen; and the Peak, a version with more generous hardware specs. "

Wow! They sold two devices. Samsung must be shaking in their boots.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Raspberry Pi Phone

You seem to be letting emotion trump logic.

A true geek would insist on a phone that was based on a real time operating system. That rules out all of the popular phones, and Windows phone as well.

A practical person would insist on a phone that provided access to a huge app store. That limits the choice to iOS or Android.

Ubuntu satisfies neither the true geek nor the practical person.

Eadon FAIL.

Silver badge
Meh

@ mutatedwombat - Re: Raspberry Pi Phone

I think this is more like a "mutatedwombat-didn't-get-the-sarcasm-fail".

Anonymous Coward

*cough*

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-real-time-linux/

*cough*

Anonymous Coward

Thank you for the link, obnoxiousGit. I see that you can configure the 2.6 kernel to get so-called "soft" real-time performance (which is another way of saying that it is not in fact real time), but for "hard" (i.e. actual) real-time performance you need to re-write Linux, which various people have done.

I am not aware of Android or iOS being based on "hard" real-time variants of Linux or Unix, but feel free to correct me on that if I am mistaken. If it is your overwhelming desire to own a phone based on an actual real time operating system you should buy a Blackberry.

Personally I'd rather have a good choice of both apps and hardware.

Anonymous Coward

@andreas koch (Re: @ mutatedwombat - Raspberry Pi Phone)

That's because it wasn't in pillar box red, as per Register standards.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @ mutatedwombat - Raspberry Pi Phone

I think Eadon is serious.

Silver badge

Real time app store

If I really need real time, I use a cheap dedicated SoC. Debian's official repository has 29000 software packages. I am admit that is not quite enough for me, so I use a few unofficial repositories too.

PS: Eadon - my Pi's are doing a useful work, but their hardware would not be my first choice for a smart phone. Top of the list of problems would be VideoCore. I have more confidence in the availability of Lima drivers for Mali on future ARM cores than for anything open related to the VideoCore DSP - if you can buy a modern CPU with one.

Bronze badge

@MutatedWombat,

"A true geek would insist on a phone that was based on a real time operating system. That rules out all of the popular phones, and Windows phone as well."

Setting aside the inevitable debate about popularity, Blackberry's BB10 is based on QNX which is first and foremost a hard real time OS.

"...but for "hard" (i.e. actual) real-time performance you need to re-write Linux, which various people have done.

Indeed. The PREEMPT_RT patch set is one of the major efforts. I use it, and it's pretty good. It's a pretty hard RTOS in that the context swith times seem to be pretty stable. It's not as good as, say, VxWorks (which I've also used a lot) which was designed from the ground up for that puprpose and has lightning fast context switch times.

Still, I gather that people have applied PREEMPT_RT to various ARM Linuxes, so there's no fundamental reason why one couldn't homebrew an Android featuring it.

Once I started developing multithreaded apps for an RTOS I started bitterly regretting the fact that most operating systems aren't real time (Windows, Mac, etc). RT means that you can do a really good job on anything doing anything with media or human interaction.

This post has been deleted by its author

Coffee/keyboard

Open Minded????

You owe me a new keyboard for that!!!

Bronze badge

@AC - "I think Eadon is serious."

He's also started to refer to himself in the third person ... a sure sign of madness.

...who're you going to call [?]...

Well I'd say anyone with an apple, or a blackberry.

Let Ronnie Corbett explain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

Bronze badge
Linux

Don't feed the Eadon, kids.

If FirefoxOS can give me a "cheap" backup smartphone that has a great battery life I'm interested. Otherwise I'll wait and see what what Sailfish has to offer. Of course ideally one of these would reach feature parity with Android, meaning it could replace my primary device.

Bronze badge

I doubt they were all real developers

More likely 'developers' of malware, viruses, root-kits etc, looking to get a head start on selling compromises of the platform over their competition.

my god

im going to spunk

Bronze badge

Re: my god

@The Alpha Klutz - "im going to spunk"

The small town in Bulgaria? I've been there and I can't recommend it. There's only one restaurant, and the dessert menu is rather limited.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Good luck, Firefox

Does anyone know if any of the "big" apps have signed up yet? Or what general public interest is like?

Personally, I'm hoping for "yes" and "good" - although it will mean another platform I'll have to look into porting to!

This topic is closed for new posts.