Feeds

back to article Google's Page drops the A-bomb: Google Glass runs Android

Google chief exec Larry Page has confirmed his company's techno-spectacles Google Glass will run some form of Android. During an earnings call yesterday for Google's first-quarter 2013 financial numbers, Page revealed the choice of operating system when asked about the new product and how it would fit in the existing Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Holmes

News?

Why would a google "Smart" product run anything else? especially if it will sync with a google phone?

"Android" or "Linux + Toolchain"?

I thought linux + toolchain was all that was needed with 'Android' being a red herring in this case. Am I wrong?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: News?

I was expecting Windows for Spectacles Consumer Edition 1.0 (tm)

"Hi! I'm Clippy. It looks like you're trying to use IE for Spectacles. Oh - I see this is standard CSS from 1998 - I'm sorry, I'm not able to render that without a dozen extra ActiveX controls, a reboot and compatibility mode being enabled. Would you like me to get on with that whilst you perform your operation, Dr. Chamberlain?"

Silver badge

Re: News?

I guess it's just about conceivable, given that Android and Chrome OS are distinct, that there would have been a third branded OS since Goggles are neither primarily interested in displaying HTML content or, as I understand it, intended to run full, largely discrete, self-contained applications.

Facepalm

Re: "Android" or "Linux + Toolchain"?

"I thought linux + toolchain was all that was needed"

No. What's needed is supports of binary drivers. And since the linux kernel doesn't do that, Android is the name.

Silver badge
WTF?

Android?! Really?!

My money was on IOS.

</sarcasm>

Meh

Did anyone suspect otherwise?

Did anyone suspect otherwise? This is really not news.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Did anyone suspect otherwise?

Of course it's news, suspect != confirmed. Would you be happy if the BBC only reported on suspects being identified for crimes and never bothered to report on whether they had been released/charged/convicted?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Did anyone suspect otherwise?

The reverse. I'd rather journalists only reported on the actual stuff and cut the repetition.

Murder:

1) "Someone was found dead. They think it was murder."

2) "Confirmed murder."

3) "Funeral of murder victim."

4.1-4.n) "Police are investigating the murder. Leads, blah, questioned, blah."

5) "Police have charged ..."

5) "Accused has gone to court."

6.1-6.n) "In the murder trial..."

7) "Accused has been found guilty/not guilty..." If not guilty, go to 4.

7.2) "The murderer was sentenced to ..."

8) "Family of the murder vicitim is suing..."

As they say, 90% of "news" is known in advance. Journalism: it's a load of journalism.

Holmes

there are more pressing concerns

For instance:

Where do bears defecate?

What religion is the new pope?

Silver badge
Joke

Re: there are more pressing concerns

also

where the new pope deficates, the religion of bears!

Pressing matters!

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

Shocker

The only shocking thing here is that El Reg's editorial staff didn't bitch-slap the author for pointing out the blindingly obvious.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Shocker

It's not especially shocking. They got an extra story out of it, and given the popularity of the topic, a whole bunch of clickthroughs to the article (ka-ching), and then through to the comments, and those who comment (ka-ching, and ka-ching (though both smaller than the first one...)). The bottom line is that the bottom line is looking a small amount better after the posting of this story.

Facepalm

And the prize for 2013's least surprising tech announcement goes to...

Rob
Bronze badge
Go

Stop Press

I just heard the Sun will be disappearing later today and that it will go a bit dark for everyone.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Stop Press

Everyone? Now that would be news. Bad news.

Silver badge

Reports from the UK suggest that the Sun has been missing since last summer.

(2011, if I recall correctly)

Anonymous Coward

sooner or later, wherever you are in the world, it goes dark eventually, on average about 16 hours after it got light

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Wouldn't the average length of day over the whole globe be about 12 hours?

Anonymous Coward

The Sun has been missing (ethics, integrity, you name it) since Hillsborough.

I suspect slightly higher, due to refraction + the sun not being a point source (assuming the day is over when the sun can no longer be seen)

Rob
Bronze badge
Go

Blimey, that's a lot of replies, I take it Friday was a slow day for everyone else as well ;-)

Silver badge

Re: It runs Android?

Hmm, well, it's entirely possible that it was running plain old Linux, meaning less overhead running the Android layers, and hence requiring a less powerful CPU.

But hey ho, looks like its Android.

Chrome OS ;)

Silver badge

Who fucking let Gordon Fucking Ramsey in?

JDX
Gold badge

Of course it was not going to run Linux. There could have been an outside shout for ChromeOS, just maybe.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah and I thought they would run iOS or something else - is this really news?

Happy

"tech-specs tech specs"

Did you hug yourself when you thought of that one?

Anonymous Coward

The Microsoft clone version

Ahhhh, all I can see is blue and this stop code number.

Silver badge

Runs Android?

Won't the specs get all smeary when you swipe across them?

FAIL

Worthless

Doesn't matter. I won't be purchasing the garbage until they drop that whole "You are only leasing it" BS for the agreement. "Don't Be Evil" my fat white ass.

Re: Worthless

Which is for the benefit of the idiots trying to flog the developer prototypes on ebay, the release version will most likely come under the same agreement as items like oh, say, any android device already does.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Worthless

Hitler was evil. Saddam was evil. Leasing a piece of luxury tech kit is not evil - get out of your arse and take a look at the world around you.

Anonymous Coward

oh great

Another android fork to go along with all the fragmentation...

The bulk of people are still on version 2.3 anyway and you need 4 and above for the app so I guess it doesn't matter since they won't sell this thing in any large numbers

Re: oh great

Yeah cos it's googles fault manufacturers are too damn lazy to update their devices.

What version of android are the Nexus devices running again...? Oh yeah, at least 4.1 (with the exception of the Nexus One, which doesn't have hardware support for later versions)

Silver badge

Re: oh great

From http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html - most Android users (54.3%) have Android 4.x. Those who don't probably aren't going to be the target market rushing out to buy some new device like this anyway...

As for numbers, yes it means that with total Android sales of 750 million ( http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/13/google-ceo-larry-page-750-million-android-devices-activated-to-date-more-than-250-million-in-the-last-6-months/ ), there will "only" be a potential userbase of over 400 million. I mean, what's that? It's only way more than all the iphones that have ever been sold.

Silver badge

Can it be...

rooted?

What else matters to anyone who values their privacy?

Android is the new Java

All we need is a small runtime, and, bingo!

Sweet, boost the resolution, custom overlay, delete all the bloat, install some truly useful apps ported from whatever phone i have by then, and walk around pretending I live in the future!

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/6/62561/1898568-deus_ex__4_.jpg

FAIL

anyone..

..pointing their retard-wear at me without my permission better like the idea of a permanent fucking eye implant.

Re: anyone..

You better start punching every police officer you meet, cuz guess what, you're on a LOT of their cameras a lot of the time.

Oh yeah, and anyone holding a phone that vaguely waves in your direction, better start punching all of them too.

In fact, to be safe, just punch everyone who ever looks at you without asking first.

Or just accept that people want these things for more than just taking random snaps of troglodytes who are afraid of anything that might get a picture of their face.

Guest you going to be punching a lot of police officers. Because it almost guaranteed they will be some of the first people to adopt this equipment.

There already been trials of head mounted cameras in the UK, the consumerisation of the technology will only bring down costs and increase the speed of roll out.

WTF?

What, like this guy? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407258,00.asp

If you assault someone over something as pathetic as the chance that you're actually being filmed in an area with other people in (i.e. no reasonable expectation for privacy,) then I really hope you'll appreciate being arrested and banged up where you'll be under constant recorded surveillance. Good luck denying HMG permission to film you whilst you're there.

JDX
Gold badge

Don't worry, pewpie I'm sure everyone will continue to ignore you just as they do now, other than teenagers mocking you on the bus.

In reality we all know you would never punch anyone or even speak up to them for fear of confrontation.

Silver badge

Fair enough we shouldn't call for violence, but I think it is reasonable to worry about the implications of this.

Someone taking a photo or video with a phone is still fairly obvious. But this this, people can walk around without anyone else knowing if you're filming or not. It's a problem for any places that (rightly or wrongly) ban the taking of photos.

Regarding police though, this is one of the interesting good uses - with the trend over the last few years of police wrongly telling people they're not allowed to take photos of police in public, this is a tool that would allow people to film without that harrassment.

(I remember reading a few years ago some article with some predictions of the future - one was that in 2015, wearable glasses computers would allow video recording, uploading and broadcasting to the Internet in realtime, completely doing away with any chance of privacy anywhere, unless you manage to ban people with said glasses of course.)

Bronze badge

Anyone

The point is once the iGlasses are through to full production I think they will almost certainly look much like any other pair of glasses........so are you going to pick a fight with every spectacle wearing geek?

Boffin

There are going to be other wearable computing devices

And shouting so much about Google Glass is going to get wearers of similar but less "evil" equipment beaten up too.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.