Feeds

back to article Amazon: S3 cloud contains two trillion objects

Amazon Web Services now has over two trillion objects within its S3 storage cloud, just one year after Bezos & Co. smashed through the one-trillion ceiling. Each Amazon object, they say, can range from "range from zero to 5 TB in size," but Amazon does not disclose the size distribution of stored objects. An object consists of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Breakouts

I wonder how long it will be before someone does break out all the metrics for marketing purposes? The first one to do it will force everyone else to play along too. It seems like an easy way to start a willy waving contest with lots of pretty graphs to plaster everywhere.

Pirate

Azure has 4+ trillion objects...

and Amazon only has 2 trillion? Eh, does Microsoft count each byte as an "object"?

Not that I'm knocking Azure - their online storage backup thingamabob seems to be pretty cool and sorta works well for backing up Server2012 boxes. Their website/portal is shit, though. Not too impressed with that.

Re: Azure has 4+ trillion objects...

I believe Hotmail (now outlook.com), Office365 and Bing all run off Azure, the image search cache alone should have rather a lot of objects in it.

A more reasonable comparison would be all s3 objects that aren't 'owned' by Amazon to all Azure objects that aren't 'owned' by Microsoft.

Pirate

Re: Azure has 4+ trillion objects...

Ah, I forgot about that. Yes, that could definitely explain the big number for Azure.

Coat

big deal

My bookshelf contains 3 trillian objects.

Re: big deal

That is very funny Nicho, but also in some ways very profound.

Not sure what having 2 trillion objects means in terms of how important this business is for making money now, and in the future. These seem to me to be dumb racks which don't have any unique or Amazon specific attributes which would force anybody to stay within their ecosystem, or be beholden to them. As technology advances at breakneck speed, what used to be stored in huge warehouses will one day soon end up on relatively small devices which will be affordable to smaller players. The internet pipe will also continue to improve and thus it should be possible to put these servers anywhere in the world; by then Amazon's 2 trillion objects will look puny. What would have been more interesting is to report how much money Amazon make from this, and what their margin is. Hopefully, it is better than their overall profitability which if I recall was below 1% the last time they reported. What I am basically saying is this is probably another low margin business for which they can never hope to get into an early entrant monopoly position.

Careful, too many trillians and you might dent the shelf.

Anonymous Coward

jokes aside (and compeletly off topic): soon it will be 12 years since mr. Adams left us... I still reply "42" to any nonsensical question people ask me.

@Nicho: thanks for reminding me to reread. Unless, of course, your post had bad spelling and you don't understand anything of what I just said.

I'm off to the attic to look up my Trillian objects !

That is very funny Nicho, but also in some ways very profound.

Not sure what having 2 trillion objects means in terms of how important this business is for making money now, and in the future. These seem to me to be dumb racks which don't have any unique or Amazon specific attributes which would force anybody to stay within their ecosystem, or be beholden to them. As technology advances at breakneck speed, what used to be stored in huge warehouses will one day soon end up on relatively small devices which will be affordable to smaller players. The internet pipe will also continue to improve and thus it should be possible to put these servers anywhere in the world; by then Amazon's 2 trillion objects will look puny. What would have been more interesting is to report how much money Amazon make from this, and what their margin is. Hopefully, it is better than their overall profitability which if I recall was below 1% the last time they reported. What I am basically saying is this is probably another low margin business for which they can never hope to get into an early entrant monopoly position.

Trollface

FBI Bust

So, when will the FBI be seizing the servers used for S3? Its almost certainly being used to store data incompatible with US legal views, and therefore, if that is the approach they take with others, then shirley that is the correct approach to be taken with harbingers of criminality, Amazon.

This topic is closed for new posts.