Another database and data warehousing vendor has adopted InfiniBand as its backbone for data transmission. While upgrading the x86 iron inside its Active Enterprise Data Warehouse appliance and rolling out a new data mart server, Teradata said it was ditching its proprietary networking hardware and moving its homegrown Bynet …
"InfiniBand allows for as much as 20 times faster communication between the nodes thanks to the low latency built into the alternatives to Ethernet "
People used to talk about the lower latency of Fibre Channel compared to Ethernet too before converged Ethernet came along and now it's not trendy anymore. RoCE will arrive next year and RDMA latency will stop being trendy too at which point everyone will suddenly want Infiniband over Ethernet (RoCE).
<oldman>I remember when....quality was the number one selling point </oldman>
- Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU
- The END of the FONDLESLAB KINGS? Apple and Samsung have reason to FEAR
- Pics It's Google HQ - the British one: Reg man snaps covert shots INSIDE London offices
- DAYS from end of life as we know it: Boffins tell of solar storm near-miss
- Bose decides today IS F*** With Dre Day: Beats sued in patent spat