back to article Interview: Dave Berstein on the NBN, construction and VDSL

Dave Berstein of DSL Prime and Fastnet News visited Australia during April for the CommsDay Summit. The Register interviewed him to get his take on the ongoing NBN debate. The Register: Let's look at what you've seen of the two-headed broadband debate in Australia – how well do you think the shift from an FTTP to an FTTN model …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Persona non grata
    Thumb Up

Thanks to Dave & Richard

Well balanced, highly informed and accurate. I learnt a lot from this and I'd love to read more like this.

This is what the Reg used to be like in general.

Pity it will get totally lost in the politics of the NBN but great t see you trying.

1. Roger Jenkins

Re: Thanks to Dave & Richard

I agree with Persona non grata, very informative.

What I like is that it has put the current build into perspective for me, why NBN did some things the way that they did and why it slowed the rollout so much. Why the contractors are having problems with skilled staff etc. etc.

What really seems a shame to me is, NBN fibre rollout is fast approaching the point where most of the teething problems are solved, only to get dismantled and start with a whole new set of problems.

So, cancelling it and doing FTTN not only wastes a lot of the startup money, but also destroys the skillset that has been built up until now. It makes me wonder, having read the article how quickly NBN would have ramped up and how many premises would have been passed by end 2016 if they are/were able to continue.

Seemingly the accelerator is only just now being lightly pressed down.

2. cortland
    Holmes

And there I was working on US telco VDSL in 1997! A litte slow off the mark, no?

This topic is closed for new posts.