back to article Ten Windows tablets

Twelve months ago the idea of compiling a list of Windows tablets that you would actually want to buy would have been as impossible to do as it would have been farcical to suggest. But with the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT all that has changed, and we are now faced with a bewildering array of fondleslabs all running …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Eadon along in 5... 4... 3.....

Anonymous Coward

Boo !

Signed Eadon (not)

Silver badge

You lose

Eadon wins : you've wasted the chance to be first to post something complimentary on Windows 8 in order to wind him up.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: " ...........in order to wind him up." You do not need to unfortunately..........

...........he will turn up without any invitation and wind everybody else up.

Prices!

Well, at least they're all competitive on price.

/sarcasm

Anonymous Coward

Overpriced.

Sorry MS but it isn't 1999. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives around that do just the job thanks.

Re: Overpriced.

Having real file-system access to external cards and drives makes the Surface devices more than competitive against an iPad. Each platform has its strengths, but ease of use with files is not one of iOS's.

JDX
Gold badge

Why are you blaming MS that companies are charging £6-800?

Anonymous Coward

@JDX

You need £600- £800 hardware to run W8 pro and for me the price does not justify any perceived benefits, WinRT is a non-starter.

Yes there are some good reasons for Windows desktop but a lot of those evaporate when you shrink Windows to 10 inches or so, only a masochist uses office on 10 inches.

You can buy a good 10inch droid tablet for £300 or less that will do 99% of what you would use a W8 tablet for and for the more technically minded can put on a Linux distro if you choose. Currently the pace of ARM development is breathtaking and as it stands MS is not best placed to exploit that potential as Linux ARM is currently light years ahead.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Ten Windows Tablets - the Eadon Review

And you Sir are so so predictable.

It's got really boring now. Can you try a different angle maybe?

A comedian has to keep it fresh.

Trollface

Oh, do pipe down you sniveling little maggot.

We all get by now that you think Microsoft are responsible for all the ills of the world from the Black Death onwards. However, the simple fact is that Windows is there and many people are going to have to carefully evaluate Win 8 tablets for corporate deployment, whether they want to or not.

So why don't you bugger off back under your bridge and leave them in peace.

Silver badge
Coat

> from the Black Death onwards

Blue death, surely?

FAIL

Scores out of ten:

1/10, 1/10, 1/10, 1/10, 1/10, 1/10, 1/10, 1/10, 1/10 and ... 1/10

Conclusion - they all suck.

Oh look, Eadon the sad little attention seeker has an opinion on Windows.

Why don't you share your refreshing opinions with us? I've never heard someone slag off Windows before.

When's The Reg going to give us an 'Ignore User' button?

At least then the 95% of readers who don't find trolling amusing could go about their business without having every single discussion fucked up by someone with the social skills of a 5-year-old.

Anonymous Coward

0/10 for trolling.

Do give it a rest.

Silver badge
Unhappy

It's not funny any more

It's kind of sad now

Silver badge

Re: It's not funny any more

It's like watching someone have a mental breakdown in public.

Never good.

But it's true we really need an Ignore feature. Most forums in the 21st century offer that so adults can blot out the teens and mentally ill.

Silver badge
Stop

Congratulations. By posting this, not only is it obvious that you have never used any of the aforementioned tablets, but it also then strongly suggests that you have never used anything related to the Windows 8 ecosystem - and possibly even anything outside your own personal little bubble.

Personally, I don't care how much of a twat you make of yourself. However, consider this: open source is all about it's community. Now I for one would not want to be any part of a community that has no tolerance for people who do things differently to them - it would be like living in a block of flats where the guy upstairs plays loud music all night.

In short - your bile and ranting will only serve to drive people away from Linux and the open source community.

or in terms that you might understand:

EADON LINUX COMMUNITY REPRESENTATION EPIC, EPIC MULTIVERSAL FAIL

God, I feel unclean after typing that.

Anonymous Coward

Upvote on the "ignore user" button... I would actually *PAY* not to have to see Eadon's ramblings anymore in El Reg comments. If enough people get in on this, maybe El Reg can donate some of the proceeds to get Eadon a doctor, or a social life. Or a place to stay, so he can get out from under his bridge.

Bronze badge
FAIL

*sigh*

Would you like to give us a considered opinion before trotting this out? Have you tried any of them? Or perhaps you have an alternative device that you prefer? No?

I'm not a fan of W8 either but I'm not going to condemn every bit of kit I see just because of that. All it does is bore the shite out of everyone.

Anonymous Coward

Maybe we should just start hitting the 'Report Abuse' option on any of his posts as soon as we see them?

Anonymous Coward

Userscript to remove the parent element where Eadon appears is in the author come one people. 2013 etc.

Bronze badge

@Ross K, I think maybe you have missed the point. Eadon may be having a dig at El Reg because there is no comparison evaluation rating between the units given, especially after there has been a clamour for just that.

Now I suppose I will get voted down just because I APPEAR to be on Eadon's side rather than pointing out that one should engage brain before reacting.

@Chica I have not eaten Casu marzu either, but from previous experience of its contents, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

Windows

Guys don’t be so harsh, don’t you know Eadon’s wife ran off with Bill Gates?

(Pic just to annoy)

Happy

@Ross K, I think maybe you have missed the point. Eadon may be having a dig at El Reg...

Now I suppose I will get voted down just because I APPEAR to be on Eadon's side...

No, that's not how he works.

I'll even upvote you to show I'm not as unreasonable as him when it comes to other points of view,

Happy

Ok, here's suitable userJS for Opera:

// ==UserScript==

// @include http://www.theregister.co.uk/forum/*

// @include http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/*

// ==/UserScript==

function squashElement(e) {

if ( e ) { e.outerHTML = '' };

}

function squashRegPostByAuthor(name) {

var tmpDivs = document.getElementsByClassName('author');

for( i in tmpDivs) {

if( tmpDivs[i].outerText == name ) {

squashElement( tmpDivs[i].parentNode );

}

}

}

window.addEventListener(

'load',

function () {

squashRegPostByAuthor('Eadon');

}, false

);

Thumb Up

For Eadon they would do well to have a "Put user to bed with Milky bokkle" button.

Anonymous Coward

Sadly, not only will he be here all week, he's seemingly here forever...

Bronze badge
Meh

A more balanced review

I'd give the Acer Iconia W700 7/10 for hardware design, dropping a point for using plastic instead of aluminium on the cradle, another for the big black bar around the screen, and one for the fact that the keyboard is too small, even if it is a very nice design.

I'd also give it 3/10 for the hardware (not design), mainly for using an Intel CPU, which is power-hungry compared to the alternatives on the one hand, but ironically not really powerful enough to cope with "desktop" Windows on the other. Intel HD4000 graphics is also suboptimal compared to the alternatives. The lack of a gigabit ethernet port is also a problem, for me at least, and probably also in the workplace.

By far its biggest problem is the OS, closely followed by the price. At half the price with more suitable components and a better OS, I might consider it.

The other machines in this roundup are little better than "meh", barely even worth awarding any points to.

Thumb Up

Works in chrome, and by extension I assume Firefox with greasemonkey. Now just to tinker until it removes the whole discussion.

Silver badge
Unhappy

@JustaKOS "Re: Ten Windows Tablets - the Eadon Review"

You see what I mean? He seems to enjoy being a...........no I cannot be bothered but you know what I mean.

Silver badge
Windows

@Ross K ".........with the social skills of a 5-year-old." Do you mind! I am aquainted with.......

.......several 5-year-olds in my extended family (third generation and all that*) who are potty-trained.

*Hence the aged and haggard look in my choice of icon.

Anonymous Coward

"though tongue in cheek" - now how the buggery are we supposed to know that when every other post by Eadon seems to be the same anti-MS slogans unleavened by any form of wit or drollery?

Bronze badge

Re: A more balanced review

Is gigabit speed connection that important in a tablet situation?

Bronze badge

Re: A more balanced review

Q: What tasks are you running that a core-i ULV can not handle? Be it the i3 in the Acer or the i7 units in the Sony?

Granted, programming for Android is one that taxed my older EP121 (similar hardware) but I am not sure if it is memory (In that case the 8GB Sony should work) or CPU (in that case the non-ULV T-Series convertibles should - not doing Android on the T731)

Q: What graphic requirements do you have that a HD4000 can not fulfill?

FPS are about the only piece of software I can think off

Gigabit Ethernet, if needed, is just a 20€ USB dongle away. The unit has USB3 after all

Silver badge
Happy

@Arctic fox - Re: @JustaKOS ... "You see what I mean?"

Yes, there's no avoiding him. I counted 27 responses to just the one post by Eadon, taking over virtually the whole of the first page - that is awesome power. God-like, almost.

Basically he enjoys the responses, so if you really don't want to give him that power, I suggest not responding.

N2

Sir,

How very well said, whilst Im no fan of Windows, I support it in a counter to Eadon's stream of shite.

El Reg, a "fuck off" button to remove the like of Eadon, BigFatDumbGuy555 & the like. Please

N

Paris Hilton

I've developed a bad habit. I find myself now reading reg articles that I might otherwise have skipped over, just so that I can read the Eadon love-a-thon in the comments.

It's like playboy. You know, buy it for the articles...

Bronze badge

Alpha-geek rep.

OK I'll give you some points that was quite funny.

Bronze badge

Upvote on the "ignore user" button... I would actually *PAY* not to have to see Eadon's ramblings 

I'm sure it would be simple enough to implement using greasemonkey. I'd happily investigate for a fiver...

Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

You may have a point, but the whole problem here is that Eadon won't give a considered opinion either way. All he sees is W8 and suddenly "it's crap". At least you have something to base your opinion of the specific dairy goodness (or badness!)

"Rik, I don't want to say that you're predictable, but there are as-yet-undiscovered tribes in the Peruvian jungle who knew you were going to say that."

OTOH, I can't see any of these as compelling. Mostly, they don't know whether they're tabs or laptops and therefore probably not great as either.

FAIL

Eadon, the apha-geek

"... My point is far too close to the truth for some here, who seem very keen to shoot down my alpha-geek rep..."

Eadon, you are not an "alpha-geek". You are a very silly, little man with far too much time on his hands.

WTF?

You can't have a picnic without ants

And you can't have an internet community without trolls. What a troll wants is a rise, and obviously Eadon is doing pretty well provoking anger from the community here. He's not going to go away, but you could at least try not multiplying everything he says by 20, by posting offended replies to it. Just downvote and leave it at that. If an ant crawls on your picnic lunch, you flick it off, you don't burst into tears and then call the cops.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Arctic fox - @JustaKOS ... "You see what I mean?"

Indeed, best to ignore the tossser. The responses, even downvotes give him a hard on. El Reg would do well to have an ignore button as well as improving their archaic commenting system.

Thumb Up

Eadon = El Reg Legend

The guy writes one post and count the number of Replies.

He's no Troll. He's a fucking Legend.

Thumb Up

Just had an Asus Vivo delivered (#2 on the list)

Although we spent the best part of 2 months trying to find a decent UK stockist. Simply unavailable. Having full win8 AND an Atom processor appears to be a niche within a niche. Full win8 needed due to full desktop-Outlook requirement.

Win8 on dedicated hardware is a completely different experience. Now it all makes sense, I tell ya! Haven't had time to check the battery(s) life yet, but will definately be making use of the ability to charge the phone from the keyboard.

Cost lots, I grant you, but a beautiful piece of kit nonetheless.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums