back to article Movie review: Oblivion

When the film Oblivion was mentioned in the office recently, my first thoughts were that it was a prequel to The Hangover series. I couldn’t have been more wrong... or was I? After all, this Tom Cruise sci-fi caper has loss of memory as one of its key themes, which, booze fueled forays aside, immediately has me thinking of some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: "Tom Cruise" - Hollywoods permier scientology creepozoid

Became corporate? You do realise that Hollywood has been run by corporations since at least the 20s?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

> since the studios became corporate

May I recommend "Stalker" then.

Bronze badge

Well... not really. On paper perhaps.

Movie studios were run by large personalities (read: egos) from the 20's through the 50's, with actors 'discovered' then 'owned' by the studios. In the 50's, McCarthy and his commie allegations alienated Hollywood by ruining one hell of a lot of lives with false accusations. Studios' control continued until the 60's when SAG and unions became more powerful and the large production studios lost their stables of talent. I wonder which was better, studios that controlled their actors behavior, or corporate powerhouses like Disney, who create train wrecks to unleash upon the world after they're done with them.

I think the OP was referring to the bastardization of movie quality, created by committee, somewhat like a corporate boy band. You have to admit, original storylines are far in-between. Just regurgitated crap really.

Cheers!

;)

Silver badge

> Movies really suck these days since the studios became corporate.

Digital cameras have reduced the cost for independent film makers, as digital cinema has reduced the cost of distribution... but yeah, if you want a film with a freak-off big budget, you need to go corporate. However, more can be done with less- ideally through imaginative location-scouting than CGI.

Okay, we're not all lucky enough to live near a city with a few arts cinemas, but hell, more people are able to afford a large TV and sound-system in their own homes these days. There are plenty of interesting films being made and released on DVD n BluRay- how are you with subtitles?

Yeah, it's true that Mssrs Cameron and Scott's returns to the sci-fi genre were disappointing, but we've had Moon, District 9, Primer, Dredd...

Facepalm

Yeah, corporations sit there in their corporation buildings, and, see, they're all corporation-y, and they make money.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out which of The Muppets Eadon is: Waldorf or Statler?

Anyway, that conundrum aside, I saw Oblivion today and consider it to be an entertaining romp. My only real niggle was the number of occasions that a line of dialogue began "Jack!". That got a bit tiring after the 50th repetition.

Joke

And what's wrong with Scientology ;)

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Tom Cruise" - Hollywoods permier scientology creepozoid@Eadon

Have you seen it?

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Tom Cruise" - Hollywoods permier scientology creepozoid @Eadon

You sound like my brother in law, he refuses to watch a film if it is over 1hr 30mins long and then tells everyone how crap a film is even when he's not been to see it.

We all think he's a pirck..... Yes deliberate spelling error

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Tom Cruise" - Hollywoods permier scientology creepozoid @Eadon

Why can't you hate on a movie just by who is in it? If a movie should be solely based upon the content and the acting, then you no longer need "stars" to be in them. The studios use big names to draw people in which also means that it will turn people away as well.

Joke

Eadon's review:

Jack's house had windows.

1 star.

Stop

@AC 13th April 2013 23:19 : You're using them wrong!

"The studios use big names to draw people in which also means that it will turn people away as well".

Do you really want the crowds to feel connected with the plot / characters, and enjoy the film even more?

Don't get Tom Cruise, Katie Price, Harriet Harman, lawyers, bankers, your petulant Mother In Law to play those who save you. They must play those you need to be saved from. And die. Of a really horrible and ironic death. You don't necessarily have to wish them harm in real life. But when they eventually do die, you automatically like the film a bit more. I was in tears ( of joy ) when Justin Bieber was shot dead in CSI ( here is an enhanced version of it, 4:21 of pure bliss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4K8Rrm82w )

Had I realised at the time how annoying Gwyneth Paltrow is in real life, I would have enjoyed Seven even more when she is decapitated. Just a thought

Pint

Having seen it, I reckon the whole plot is scientology inspired...

Silver badge

I don't think the major problem is corporatisation of the industry - it is the fact that actors and directors have too much power. In fact, too often they are the same thing, or wearing one of those hats plus being the producer. This is, in my experience, almost always a bad start. A good movie is a team effort, and one person having more than one important role is usually a sign that the team is diluted. Another problem is that, somewhere along the line, film-makers forgot that we need to have some empathy with the characters if the movie is to work and have any lasting impression. No excellent movie has an entire cast of characters you don't actually give a flying toss about. Look at "Pulp Fiction", for instance, when all of the characters are actually really nasty pieces of work, but there is something to engage with, and compare it with, say, "Mission Impossible III".

Of my recent sci-fi viewing, "Moon" was quite good with some reasonable ideas, good acting, and a clear vision from the director; "Dredd" was fair, with excellent camera-work but too lacking in scope and characterisation; "Prometheus" is okay, but doesn't go far enough, and doesn't have a single character to empathise with (compare that with the real "Alien" franchise); and "Robot and Frank", which nearly got it right, though I had more empathy with the robot than any of the humans.

Silver badge

TBH i'll give it a go, I liked knight and day - I didnt think cruise was particularly "madman" in that so i'll grab it on an orange wednesday with the other half.

Thumb Up

Moon?

The movie greatly reminds about "Moon" w/ significantly larger budget... and chicks, erm female characters. And tons of bright scenes, easy on the eyes. It's not a bad movie, especially if you are a sci-fi fan, though. There are some clues about how the story is to unfold and for picking on them I was labeled 'geek' by my girlfriend.

Perhaps the greatest downside would be pretty straightforward storyline.

SSR

Hold up, wasn't there the F word at the end, or did I imagine it?

Happy

first thought was where did they get the ships after a nuke war ,second was moon ,but you knew most of the film after the first 40 mins ..

but was ok good clean but not refreshing film ..

My first thought (on seeing the trailer) was where did all this shiny futuristic tech come from? My understanding is that this is set ~65 years in the future...

Silver badge

I've only seen the trailer, and couldn't see how it is different from "The Matrix" - strange things happen, people in life-support pods, and a black man wearing shades in a dark room promising to reveal the truth.

I'll probably go to see it, but only to tide me over until Iron Man 3, and then Star Trek.

g e
Silver badge
Meh

Nothing puts me off a film more

Than Tom Cruise.

Presumably his continued theatrical existence is perpetuated only by the Friends of Hubbard as I can't believe anyone would ever say 'Shit we SO need to get Tom Cruise for this role. Fuck YEAH'

#ThingsYouNeverHearInCastingMeetings

Thumb Up

Re: Nothing puts me off a film more

+10 for the Tom Cuuise hating -9 for the hashtag shit. I up I guess.

Silver badge

The Philip French review in the Groaniad nails it - basically a running list for when Cruise deploys each one of his 3 facial expressions. Cruise is the only actor I can think of who is more uncanny than CGI.

I will go with the +10 -9 thing but then up it +gazillion for the short arse one buying the rights to all the Jack Reacher books.

FAIL

Katie, +10 for the typo and -11 for the "sh*t" crap. One down!

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

> 3 facial expressions

Xenu present, Xenu absent and Unsure about Xenu?

Silver badge

I thought is was Xenu present, Xenu absent and I need to poo.

Silver badge
Facepalm

>"I can't believe anyone would ever say 'Shit we SO need to get Tom Cruise for this role."

Yeah - why would any Hollywood studio execs want the star of the $2-billion-plus mega-series Mission Impossible in their film? Plus other massive money makers like Top Gun, Rain Man, Last Samurai, Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, etc etc etc. Love him or hate him, Cruise has been a top money maker for the big studios for 3 decades now.

Besides, you are way behind the times with this line of attack. Your other Anon buddies are all busy ineffectively DDoS'ing Israeli websites, when they aren't ratting each other out to prosecutors and headed off to prison. Didn't you get the memo?

Silver badge
Trollface

Uh....Andy? I ... I need to tell you something.

The Anons here have NOTHINGTODOWITHANONYMOUSWHATSOEVER!

There, I said it.

I feel better now.

Now, why would "Moon" have been a worse movie with Dual Cruise in the lead role? Discuss. I imagine he could have played GERTY with no ill effect.

Thumb Down

Ditto.

When I saw the previews I was like "Ooooo, looks cool", then I saw Freeman and thought "I want to see this movie".

Then I saw Cruise.

No.

Oh well, there will be some other CGI extravaganza hitting the theaters this summer that will get some of my money.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

>"The Anons here have NOTHINGTODOWITHANONYMOUSWHATSOEVER!"

Read what I said. I was referring to Anonymous -- the guys who are wearing orange jumpsuits because of their DDoS attacks with the Ion Cannons -- not AC posters on El Reg.

FAIL

I call BS on this. All the previews featured Cruise far more prominently than Freeman. The idea that you were all stoked for a Freeman movie and THEN put off by the revelation that Cruise was involved is plainly a load of horse crap. You just want to feel good joining in the Cruise hate.

Which is a shame because you're gonna miss a good movie as a result of your shallow and transparent posturing.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Jack Reacher

I have read a few of the books.

So who is TC planning on using to play 6' 5" Reacher?

Silver badge
Happy

"I imagine he could have played GERTY with no ill effect."

No - GERTY had more believable facial expressions

Re: Jack Reacher

@MJI - probably that tall blonde dude they got to play Lestat...

Silver badge

I wonder how much of the main character follows the Scientology mantra of Hubbard.

Belief in ones self and one can do anything... The hero as an unknown 'super man' .

I haven't seen the film, but that tends to be Tom Cruise's characters.

Silver badge

Xenu present, Xenu absent and Unsure about Xenu?

I think you mean XENU_TRUE, XENU_FALSE, and XENU_NOT_FOUND.

Silver badge

Cruise plays

Suspension of disbelief waning...

Jack Harper, a drone

Suspension restored!

repair man

Damn. Gone again.

Silver badge

Slightly off topic

I was just thinking about sci-fi films that have used a real, solid location instead of CGI sets... interior locations that spring to mind (and please contribute):

Aliens- an old power station

Silent Running - an aircraft carrier

The Abyss - an unused cooling pond at a nuclear power station

Bronze badge

Re: Slightly off topic

"Stalker" was also shot inside the abandoned power station.

And as the story goes (too lazy to look for the citations), first version of "Stalker" was simply lost upon completion. So they had to shoot it again, with a few remaining scraps of the budget, and quite differently.

Silver badge
Windows

> first version of "Stalker" was simply lost upon completion

Correct, the proletariat-owned development studio fucked up.

After that it was shot next to the proletariat-abandoned hydropowerstation and a few proletariat-run semi-abandoned factories which were dumping all that foamy crap and snow shit into the estonian water system. Good in the movie but it gave the crew and the dog uncurable cancer a bit later.

Holmes

This is perhaps more On Topic than you realise. :)

I think you might not be aware that to film the "house in the clouds", Kosinsky took a 3 camera rig to the top of a mountain and filmed "plates" of skyscapes. These were then rear projected onto screens built around a practical set of the Harper Sky House.

This is what was responsible for the highly natural feel of that location in the movie. The set and the actors were "lit" primarily by those projected sky-scapes, and the reflections on all that glass were real (albeit at one remove from the original sky that was filmed and then projected).

Ru
Paris Hilton

@Jolyon Smith, Re: Slightly off topic

I think you might not be aware that

I don't think that anyone who actually read the article was unaware of that fact.

Silver badge

Brazil - the torture scenes at the end were shot inside a disused cooling tower

Joke

Re: @Jolyon Smith, Slightly off topic

I think you'd be surprised how many people jump straight in to making comments without reading the articles. Especially for a movie review where many people form their opinions based on biases about the actors or film makers involved. Not that that happened in these comments though, right ? ;)

FAIL

Re: @Jolyon Smith, Slightly off topic

Having said that [reply], you got me. I read the review, went away, read some more reviews, then came back and read the comments. For some reason I thought the "behind the scenes" insight was part of a different review. Not this one. My mistake. :)

The FAIL is all mine. :)

Silver badge
Coat

And now for something completely different!

So has anyone read Greg Bear's "Hull Zero-Three". Nothing one hasn't seen elsewhere , but damn fine read in the grimdark interstellar genre anyway.

Oh it's Saturday, time to drive down to the recycling center with tons of karmic accumulation. Work, here I come.

Thumb Up

I'll see anything starring Tom Cruise.

He's awesome.

Anonymous Coward

Just wondering

Do you by any chance have an iPhone?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums