Feeds

back to article Dubai splurges on 700hp, 217mph Lamborghini police cruiser

The Dubai police force can expect a flood of applications to its cadet academy now that it has added a 217mph Lamborghini Aventador to its cruiser fleet. How much did it set back Dubai's Finest to get their hands on this stylish bit of four-wheeled extravagance? It depends upon whom you believe: Sky News puts the price at £250, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

The Saudis used Lambos too...

...they had a few Lamborghini LM002 for desert border patrols. Not sure if they're still in service.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: The Saudis used Lambos too...

The Italian police had a couple of Gallardos too..

'Had' being the operative word...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/30/italian-police-lamborghini - oh dear!

Anonymous Coward

It's the only way they can catch the younger members of the Saudi royal family. Women of course are not allowed to drive cars, restricted visibility of the burka could lead to loss of life.

Alert

Sod that...

Right, let's fire up the Quatro!

Silver badge
Headmaster

@AC 06:37 ".... Women of course are not allowed to drive cars, restricted visibility of the burka could lead to loss of life."

I think you'll find that the restricted visibility of the burka has nothing to do with women not being allowed to drive and that it is entirely down to narrow minded religious shite!

Anonymous Coward

« It's the only way they can catch the younger members of the Saudi royal family. »

1. Saudi Arabia != Dubai

2. Women *do* drive cars in Dubai (and also in Saudi, only without a licence)

Anonymous Coward

"I think you'll find that the restricted visibility of the burka has nothing to do with women not being allowed to drive and that it is entirely down to narrow minded religious shite!"

That and maybe the fact that women have more accidents per mile driven than men....

Silver badge

RRC, the Italian police's Lambos were more of a PR effort.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Wouldn't ...

... some shoulder-launched missiles do the job more cheaply?

Women drive in the UAE, and don't wear burkas.

Bronze badge

That and maybe the fact that women have more accidents per mile driven than men....

If that is really fact in Dubai, it might be because women are not allowed to take driving lessons there?

Otherwise they have less accidents than men on than men on the same mileage. That is why they get cheaper insurance in some countries. (Not in Dubai, probably).

Anonymous Coward

@Velve

Lived in Saudi for a couple of years, money great but restrictions on my wife not being able to do this or do that and having to live in a compound was crap. Also when out and about there was enormous unwanted attention given to my wife and daughter and my young son.

Now you may think it religious Shiite or what ever, but in that country a woman has second class rights, can only go out if accompanied with a male family member, cannot drive a car, if found in the company of a man not of her family can be arrested, whose word is worth half that of a man, should cover herself from head to foot to remain modest, when the men are allowed a free reign to do what they want, all in the name of religion.

A tell me, do you think that is OK? If you do then I know full well were you come from.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: @Velve

As he said, women can drive and wear western clothes, in Dubai. But not in Saudi.

I saw that Italian Lambo a few years ago in Verona. It cruised into one of the main squares, stopped and dumped the contents of its sump onto the cobbles underneath it, accompanied by a cloud of smoke. Oh, how we laughed.

Still, I'd love a shot of one.

Silver badge
Stop

"It's the only way they can catch the younger members of the Saudi royal family. Women of course are not allowed to drive cars, restricted visibility of the burka could lead to loss of life."

Why bother catching them? It's not like they don't get away with it... because they're Royal.

And the idea that female arab dress affects visibility is a joke: What exactly do you think a keffiyeh does for peripheral vision?

Silver badge

Well...

... IIRC one UK force did try a Sierra Cosworth, but that's not really as cool...

MrT
Bronze badge

Cossies...

... were offered to all forces, but at the time they cost roughly twice as much as a tuned Astra GTE variant. A friend on the West Yorkshire force said these were far more usable in urban environments. This was back in '88, and he said that the Astras were good for short, very high speed bursts, but if used to chase something very high speed over longer distances then they would need engine attention afterwards.

Both equally nickable, mind, and response times would be severely hampered by the need to unchain the Cossie from the garage floor (an extreme scurity method employed by one guy I know who has an RS500).

Cool wasn't even an option... ;-)

Silver badge

Re: Well...

French autoroute police have a fleet of 70 Megane RS, which top out at 255km/h (160 mph). They use them to catch the drug runners coming from Africa via Spain, as well as the boy racers like the one done for 215km/h (135mph) just outside Lyon last week,

Anonymous Coward

« French autoroute police have a fleet of 70 Megane RS, which top out at 255km/h (160 mph). »

Many high-endish cars these days are capable of speeds in excess of that (theoretically max. speed should be electronically limited to 250 km/h, but that can be disabled.)

Anonymous Coward

A number of UK forces use the Subaru Impreza.

Silver badge

Not just the Subaru Impreza, but a Prodrive-tuned Subaru Impreza, from the company who did Colin McRae's winning cars. Humberside police were the first to have one, as a few criminals tried some off-road evasive tactics. As well as being faster, the Prodrive versions have panels underneath to protect the car from rocks and debris.

Lights

I bet those lights at the top generate a serious amount of drag at very high speed. It would be unfortunate if they parted company from the car taking part of the roof with them....

Shame it has roofmount lights, spoils the lines.

Enquiring minds want to know: how does this baby compare with Mad Max's "Interceptor"?

Re: Shame it has roofmount lights, spoils the lines.

Heh! My first thought :)

The Interceptor's a muscle car. Good durability, fine for reasonable (!) speed in a straight line

The latest gen of Lambos are still speed-orientated & more flimsy, but they also have 4WD (I haven't checked this particular model) & a heck of a lot more accel

Also the MM Interceptor had a manually operated supercharger. I'm fairly sure (from memory) that at least some Lambo's have this accoutrement, & if so it would be electronically controlled. So more precise useage = better power delivery = better chance of catching perps (& not being killed in the process, or at least not through raw speed itself)

Thumb Up

Aren't the UK cars tuned though? I thought their old Volvo T5's could do 180mph? That 5 series looks seriously lowered at the back (or maybe just a fat convict in the backseat). Also I remember hearing there was a police Porsche 911 in London a while back, which had been confiscated from a crim.

Re: 911

AFAICR if they're factory tuned it's for endurance, not speed. When you take into account the amount of kit a 'standard' British cop car has to carry - deployable hazard warning signs, extra radio gear + batteries, etc, etc - it's not surprising the suspension may look 'lowered'

Maybe in the 'old' days (pre-1985 or so) there were special 'interceptor' units that were factory-tuned, but now there's just what we're given, plus garage mech knowhow

There /are/ special 'interceptor' patrol units around the UK, but their cars aren't any different from the factory models (above adjustments notwithstanding)

Silver badge

The babylon do frequently use 'police spec' cars, although exactly what that means varies (larger fuel tanks, tuning etc).

As for the 5 series, it may be lowered but I doubt by much as it would leave them having to slow excessively for speed humps in a chase. The clue is the blue light on, the popo is just ragging the car and has switched lanes loading up the suspension on that side making it appear closer to the ground.

I'm all for them having suitible cars, it makes sense that at least some of them have more poke then a corsa. Engaging in 200mph chases is a little risky however. You also know some idiots will take racing the local plod supercar as a badge of honor.

That 5 series has the star on its roof - it's firearms so the back of the car will be stuffed full of weapons.

Anonymous Coward

'Babylon'? 'Popo'? Is that you, Capleton?

Silver badge

"Aren't the UK cars tuned though?"

No. Not any more. Massive urban myth.

El Reg goes Top Gear! Hmm...

However, the idea has some merit. Dubai, therefore little rain & long straight roads (mostly - the Lambo's not expected to go anywhere else shirley) plus a driver (excessiive) speed problem on the aforementioned roads

NP with fuel allowance, but what do they do with perps once they've been pulled over? Wait a couple of hours while the local equivalent of paddy-wagon arrives, or shoot/chop their hands off on the spot? Unkless they're princes of course (the most likely perps), in which case they may get a stiff talking-to

JDX
Gold badge

It's a bit odd with cars, but in the drug war this happens all the time with super-spec speed boats; an "arms race" between smugglers and coastguards.

JLV
Bronze badge
Happy

Hmmm

So the Yank cops here go from a car with a propensity to combust (Crown Victoria) to one with a tendency to flip over or blow its tires (Ford Exploder)?

'd be sweet to drive that Lambo (sigh)

Bronze badge

Re: Hmmm

Most of the new CHP cars I see are doge chargers. The ford explores are used for commercial trucking enforcement. Which is why you won't see many of them.

Pint

You'll never take me alive, Copper!

The lightbar will knock the top speed back, from "217" to probably well under 200. It's almost as big as the deployable air brake on the Veyron.

Dubai plod write tickets (as opposed to arresting, shooting, etc.) for speeding - even over 130 mph? Nice.

Anonymous Coward

Re: You'll never take me alive, Copper!

Yep, they do.

You get "negative" points on your licence much like in the UK, and if you get too many you lose the licence and have to retake the test after about a month.

Oddly you can also get "positive" points that cancel out the negative ones - so you could save a few of those up before going speeding!

Recently there was a case where an Emirati argued in court that he shouldn't lose his licence because speeding is a national sport!

Thankfully he lost that argument - but of course he was back on the road a few weeks later anyway.

You only get in real trouble if you kill someone by driving like an idiot - then it depends if you're an expat or Emirati. Most expats would spend some time in prison then be deported, while most Emiratis have to pay blood money, but that's about it.

It's a weird country.

It's nice to see an appreciation...

...for quality motoring. After all everyone around the globe is paying for these police toys via blackmail pricing of crude oil products. Ya gotta love a Cabal...or not.

Thumb Up

I got da Need 4 Speed

The first picture looks like something out of "Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit". :-)

If the cops actually need to go 150+ MPH to chase someone down, I rather wonder what they intend to do with them once they catch up to them in this particular car. I can't imagine they plan to ram or PIT maneuver them with a 250-300k vehicle. (That's ignoring the question of what harm making a car spin out at those speeds might result in.)

I suppose this could just be used to follow the speeder doggedly, and thus ensure the speeder actually can't get away, to be bagged (one way or the other) when they finally give up or eventually crash. In that case, the cops better hope whatever they're chasing doesn't have dramatically better MPG than their 12-cylinder beast. :)

Silver badge

You don't need to catch them ...

... just get close enough to fire a magnetic/adhesive GPS tracker onto the vehicle. Pretty hard to outrun the helicopter then ... even if you can beat it in a straight line.

Which reminds me - have you guys seen P.R.E.Y A.L.O.N.E - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccw4OepTDUY

In this amazing Irish short film, whose SFX were done on a farm of cheap PCs, there is a blistering chase of a car through the subway system by a couple of fighter jets - and a great twist in the tale ...

Silver badge

at 200 mph you just have to follow until the fuel runs out which won't take long.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: PREY ALONE

Cheers for that!

Not a bad use of 15 minutes of my time.

Not sure it would have needed a farm for the CGI. Maybe an allotment, or a small green-house? ;o)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Funny thing ...

I never drove a Lamborghini that I actually enjoyed driving.

To date, all have been absolute pigs to drive on the street (worse than street Ferraris, even, and that's difficult) ... and not a one of 'em has actually delivered the advertised "top speed", not within 20%..

Art? Maybe, depending on your perception & prejudice. Driver's car? Not so much. Real world? I have better places to spend money when it comes to fast transportation.

FAIL

Cameras

Would it not have been cheaper to put some average speed cameras along the notorious road and an army of peasants to wipe the lenses each day?

Re: Cameras

No. Cameras can't pocket bribes.

Anonymous Coward

Cameras can't pocket bribes.

Actually, it would centralise the bribing..

Centralising crossed my mind, but there would be much more of a paper trail.

Silver badge
Alert

They do have quite a lot of them, and unlike the UK they don't paint them yellow and they hide them fairly well.

However, the locals quickly figure out where they are - and even visitors spot them fast because it's where everybody suddenly brakes hard.

The speed traps that actually catch people are the 'mobile' ones the police set up at random.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.