Feeds

back to article Chinese boffins predict iPad-sized supercomputers

Chinese boffins are predicting iPad-shaped supercomputers could become a reality after observing for the first time a phenomenon known as the quantum anomalous Hall (QAH) effect, which could pave the way for a new generation of low energy-consumption electronics. The QAH effect has never been observed in a laboratory environment …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Classical vs Quantum Hall Effect

The Hall Effect was observed and explained by Edwin Hall about 130 years ago as you say. This is the 'classical' phenomenen that is easily explicable and can be demonstrated with modern school or even home equipment if you're a techie.

The Quantum Hall Effect was predicted in the 1970's and not observed until a few years later. It is much more difficult to explain and observe. It's actually a 'quantum aspect' of the Hall Effect.

Silver badge

Using what definition of supercomputer?

If you use the definition "more powerful than a Cray-1" then we're already there. An iPhone 5 is roughly somewhere between a Cray X/MP and Y/MP in floating point capability (with much more memory, and faster I/O and non-FP calculation)

The fastest supercomputer in the world 30 years ago that cost millions now fits in the palm of your hand. The thing is, scientists always want more, which is why there are still people paying millions for supercomputers that take up a lot of square footage in datacenters around the world. If you could fit the fastest supercomputer in the world today into a tablet form factor five years from now, scientists will say, "OK great, let's start by putting 10,000 of those in some racks in my datacenter and I'll get to work!"

Well, unless that single tablet sized super costs millions by itself - if so, I hope they put it in a really durable case :)

Silver badge

Re: Using what definition of supercomputer?

>Using what definition of supercomputer?

Yeah, I was wondering that too...

Jeff Goldblum used to profess am opinion on this!

Pint

Anomalous Hall?

II'm sure that was at the uni I went to.

(But I was rather busy discovering birds and beer at the time so I may be mistaken...)

Silver badge
FAIL

I bet even with a supercomputer that big...

They still wont be able to get the weather right a week ahead, or the climate right 10 years ahead..

Silver badge

Supercomputer Ipad

If one day we can look forward to having supercomputers the size of an Ipad, what will the massive computing thingies of that day which are the size of a warehouse and cost zillions of US dollars be called?

Re: Supercomputer Ipad

Super-Dooper Computer

Happy

Minds

HAL

Silver badge

I seem to recall that Minds cheated by keeping most of their 'hardware' in hyperspace, or in some folded dimension or somesuch!

"The technology may even bring about a supercomputer in the shape of an iPad," he added

Dear Mr Qikun,

This is a letter requesting you cease and desist from any attempts to create a putative supercomputer in the shape of an iPad.

The iPads unique rectangle-with-curved corners shape is copyright & patented by Apple Inc. and even thought you're in China we'll sue the arse off your university if you build anything that looks like our shiny slate.

Yrs

Sue, Grabbit & Run

Attorneys at Law for Apple Inc.

This topic is closed for new posts.