back to article 'You can keep it' - Brit's nicked laptop turns up on Iranians' sofa

A British animator who used tracking software to trace his stolen laptop to Iran has apologised to its “innocent new owners” after pictures of them were splashed all over the internet. Dom Del Torto's Macbook Pro was nicked from his London flat in February and he was able to watch its 3,000 mile odyssey to the Islamic Republic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: They bought a stolen laptop.

Agreed. He shouldn't be telling them they could keep it, he should be demanding it be returned.

Were they mortified it was stolen or mortified their photos were being posted and highlighting the fact they buy stolen goods.

Silver badge
Trollface

Three idiots posting in a row?

Not having tons of money tends to make one overlook the actual provenance of second-hand laptops.

Silver badge
Meh

The more that people are humiliated and caught out then the less chance they will buy the stolen property.

I say spread the news and if it mortified them so much they should return it.

They are probably related to the the person who sent it anyway.

No sympathy....

FAIL

They have money for a laptop and internet access, methinks they are hardly on the breadline. and you called the 3 previous posters idiots big lol.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

That's four idiots.

Stop

What?

Knowingly receiving stolen goods is a crime. And you have no right to retain stolen goods even if purchased in good faith. But the second isn't criminal in any way, just bad luck/poor judgement on the purchaser's part since they will now lose the goods without compensation.

The family in question offered to return the laptop, according to its owner. He has made a gift of it to them to apologise for what he himself has described as an invasion of their privacy.

In short, WTF are you on about?

Silver badge
Childcatcher

What! You say the poor have no PCs!? Then let them use Macs!

Silver badge

"They should have gone to the police in Iran and reported where it was purchased from (yeah and don't give me that crap about a rogue state, that's just political crap, generally Iran is a safe and established state!)."

BULLSHIT!!!!! if they had gone to the police the police would have launched a rocket at them or poured IEDs through their letterbox.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

That's four idiots.

Yes ... hands off them .... as they say over there!

Anonymous Coward

I bet the people saying "blah blah hang them" (okay exageration) wouldn't be saying the same thing if it were a DVD collection the people had downloaded from t'interweb.

FAIL

your getting the thumbs down

Paris Hilton

You realize what happened to Marie Antoinette when she said that...

Paris, because she gets off on heads.

Silver badge

If he gave it to them - is he know in trouble for supplying technology to an axis-of-naughty country?

My XenServer update just asked me to confirm that not only am I not in Cuba but I won't let any Cuban national use it - a bit odd for a package developed in Cambridge

Silver badge
Trollface

"I bet the people saying "blah blah hang them" (okay exageration) wouldn't be saying the same thing if it were a DVD collection the people had downloaded from t'interweb."

Copyright infringement and theft are defined as separate offences in law, therefore the moral implications are completely different.

Completely different!

Silver badge

"And you have no right to retain stolen goods even if purchased in good faith. "

Depends where you are.

If a stolen car gets to Russia its history is legally wiped clean in that country - one of the reasons it's a big destination for the aforementioned items.

Silver badge
WTF?

Upvotes for an anti-freetard post on El Reg? You idiots do realise I was being sarcastic, right?

Silver badge
WTF?

> DVD collection the people had downloaded from t'interweb.

How does that happen then? Are the DVDs decomposed into molecules, transmitted down the fibre, then magically reassembled at the other end? That's a great trick if you can do it. And if they belonged to someone else, it would be theft of course.

Which is rather different to copyright infringement, which is what I think you mean.

K
Bronze badge

DumDumDum...

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Devil

Re: They bought a stolen laptop. (@ NomNomNom)

Mr. NomNomNom: Your fourteen downvotes prove once again that the <sarcasm> tag should be made mandatory. :-)

Silver badge

I can just about cope with the concept of going easy on starving people stealing food, people with an apartment and Internet access buying a dodgy laptop, they deserve all they get. Let's be honest, most of us have had someone offer us something priced a little to good to be true, it's bloody obvious it's not above board and the vast majority of us walk away. It is interesting it ended up so far away. I completely agree that making it as public as possible is a great idea, once word gets out that buying dodgy laptops will get mug splashed all over the web maybe it will drive down crime, it's unlikely to hurt, we just need to see the software end up built in so it cannot be removed by a hdd swap \ reformat.

Love the pic of her using the telescope, it's just begging for a caption like "I can see Dom's house from here".

Trollface

New laptop, $100 bucks, seems legit.

Mushroom

Amazing - people seem to not understand that Iran has a repressive government, and import/purchase of these devices is not allowed.

So getting a Macbook or iPad is already going to be an illegal act, unlike in the free world.

Should the purchasers consider whether their sources are dodgy? Of course they're dodgy - they're smuggling banned goods. Whether those goods have been stolen, or bought and transported is a question, but not one that Iranians living under a police-ish state are going to spend milliseconds on.

Fortunately, the owner of the laptop realized this and did the right thing, even though yes, his goods are gone.

Next week - "aid recipients in Botswana should return millions from bank that fleeced customers"

FAIL

You're not allowed to have a PC in Iran? Or a PC is ok but not a Macbook? Or you're not allowed to go in the interwebs, but if you have an illegal device they'll hook you up anyway? You're just making this up as you're going along, aren't you?

It might be illegal for a US or even UK citizen to export it to Iran, I don't know. But that doesn't mean it's illegal for them to buy a second hand Macbook. In that regard, your regime is more repressive than theirs.

Thumb Down

To correct my own bit here -

The US has an embargo on Iran - it's not Iran's restrictions - so Apple, a US company, can't export to Iran.

Apple is even restricting sales in the US to Iranian Americans:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/06/22/12344611-iran-trade-sanctions-get-personal-in-apple-stores?lite

As usual, when you ban something like guns or likker, they end up coming to you through other less controlled channels, such as any old stall in Persian market. Since that's how an Iranian gets new Macs and stolen Macs, it's not to be expected they differentiate. Blame Washington, UK and the EU - this family has nothing to do with Ahmadinejad, Iran's processing of uranium, the invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan/support of Hussein against Iraq, or the CIA/M5/British Petrol overthrow of Mossadegh. But coming from a seemingly well-to-do Iranian family now with an on-board calculator, they can probably tell the West the difference between 20% refined uranium and 90% weapons-grade (90-20=70%). Perhaps this will bring peace in our time.

In a sense, yes.

Anonymous Coward

"Copyright infringement and theft are defined as separate offences in law, therefore the moral implications are completely different."

No, therefore the legal implications are completely different. The moral implications have nothing to do with legal definitions.

Law ≠ morality, except in the most idealistic of theories.

Bronze badge

Next week - "aid recipients in Botswana should return millions from bank that fleeced customers"

Botswana has lots of trouble, mainly regarding water supply and a high Aids infection rate, but AFAIK their finances are not so bad.

As for Iran - people living in a country with shariah legislation are sensible against being called thiefs. Even if they don't axe off the hand nowadays for stealing, it's still nasty to have it removed surgically.

Silver badge

Which is why most countries have a "receiving stolen goods" law making it criminal.

Gold badge
Meh

An ex-colleague who used to do a lot of work in Africa reckoned that Botswana was one of the very few "straight" countries there. Most of it's as bent as a nine-bob note.

This presented him with something of a problem when he had a load of AK47s pointed at his head when it turned out he'd accidently overstayed his visa. Anywhere else in Africa he could have greased a few palms with 100 dollar notes to make the problem go away, but not in Botswana. He spent the night in a cell and missed his flight out.

Sometimes it's actually more helpful when the local officials are bent.

Silver badge

As usual, the idiot legal positivists crawl out from beneath their stones, not giving a damn about facts or context. I suggest they try living under a *really* legal positivist regime, such as Sharia - the bleatings might change very quickly.

On the other hand, I've got some more examples of the complete lunacy of the legal positivist mindset for my students ...

Silver badge

Both moral and legal implications are different. Stealing something deprives the owner of the object being stolen. Unauthorized copying deprives the "manufacturer" (usually the author) of a work from one sale. But the original work still stands, and can in fact be legally copied even after the copyright infringement.

Anonymous Coward

Stuxnet.

Just sayin'

Receiving stolen goods is still a crime.

The people in Iran who bought this laptop have received stolen goods, which is a crime. Why should their identities be protected? I applaud him showing those pictures.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Receiving stolen goods is still a crime.

If receiving stolen goods were a crime, the whole state apparatus would be inside.

Anonymous Coward

It's probably not a crime in Iran if it was stolen from the western devils.... Though if he has been using it to watch western program's he may find that he no longer has any handies at he end of his armies.

Anonymous Coward

@ Greg Dolph

"Why should their identities be protected? I applaud him showing those pictures."

Well, I bet you'll be just as pleased as your personal data is made available to the world, as soon as you installed that hard drive bought on ebay or amazon.com

oh, wait, but you HAVE carried out thorough investigation about those scumbag Iranian stolen-goods buyers, and, as you are both a judge and a jury, you're beyond reasonable doubt about thee fact they knew it was stolen goods. Since you're so good at doing policing and sentencing, how about a little surgical chop-chop job, to remove their front limbs? After all, you just KNOW they're guilty and deserve it, don't you.

zb
FAIL

No, it is not necessarily a crime. There has to be some sort of guilty knowledge or intent

The offence is created by section 22(1) of the Theft Act 1968 which says

A person handles stolen goods if (otherwise than in the course of stealing), knowing or believing them to be stolen goods he dishonestly receives the goods, or dishonestly undertakes or assists in their retention, removal, disposal or realisation by or for the benefit of another person, or if he arranges to do so.

Of course in this case UK law is not relevant and it is Iranian law thay must be considered.

Devil

You know what is also illegal? Making false statements accusing people without having any proof to back up the accusations.

For all they know, they bought a second hand device. Because they are innocent until proven guilty, the burden of proof is with you, the accuser. Since you don't have any proof, you're falsely accusing people. And that my friend, is illegal.

You're luck they probably won't press charges.

does not work like that in iran, its drop an bomb first and see if it was really an bad person

I was wondering what had happened

This morning the Torygraph had the pictures in full.

This afternoon all the faces were blurred out. (Including the face on some poster behind the lady. Must be using the same tech as Google...)

Re: I was wondering what had happened

It's still up on the Daily Wail, un-blurred and not mentioning the bit with Dom being extremely generous after being contacted by them.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Wow - quicker than you can say "judgemental"

I couldn't quite see the bit in the OP where it said the new owners *knew* they had received stolen goods.

Re: Wow - quicker than you can say "judgemental"

Well, that's the rub, isn't it?

On the one hand, if it was nicked it was probably stolen for a fair bit less than brand new pricing (though still more than a nicked laptop without a glowing fruit on the back). So there'd probably be an element of "This is surprisingly cheap" at play.

On the other hand, we don't know whether they bought straight from someone wearing a balaclava, black & white stripey jumper who was carrying the MBP in a burlap sack with "SWAG" written on it, or whether they bought it from the nth person in a chain with only the first person involved having direct contact with the thief.

Still handling stolen goods, I suppose, but not to the same extent.

Windows

Re: Wow - quicker than you can say "judgemental"

As there are sanctions on Iran - sanctions we put there - there's no reason to think the people bought this for cheap. Even in a market selling new & used goods.

We're not in Kansas no more, Toto - Kansas' lily white rules no longer apply in much of the real world, though in the safety of the US/UK we often don't get to see the rough and tumble others live with.

But as the US/UK have caused this family and similar untold costs and hardships, are we sure the reason for our sanctions are correct? Or is our black-and-white world a bit 1950's? Through our Windows darkly...

They Bought A Stolen Laptop

... and then whined when the rightful owner showed them to the world! Rightful Owner must be stinkin' rich AND brain dead, to not worry about his laptop and all it's contents being on the other side of the world. Can MacBooks Auto-Nuke themselves like iPhones?

Fuck 'em and feed 'em Fish Heads!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums