Feeds

back to article The gloves are on: Nokia emits super-sensitive £99 Windows Phone

Nokia's sub-£100 Lumia 520 has rolled out in the UK this week, alongside a keenly priced and attractive unibody sibling, the Lumia 720. Both were announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in February. The Lumia 620 put a modern Nokia at a price point under £150, but now the slightly larger size has made it even cheaper. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Coat

Nice £100 phone

All it needs now is for someone to port Android to it.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Nice £100 phone

My sentiments exactly.

It's a really nice handset and the price is very attractive.

The only thing preventing me from buying one is the OS.

Bronze badge
IT Angle

"The only thing preventing me from buying one is the OS." - is that because it doesn't have/do something that you need - and if so, what?

... or just "because it's Microsoft"?

Silver badge

Or is it because you've tried one and the back button behaviour was too mental for you?

Anonymous Coward

Someone should tell Amazon, it's 165 quid on there :)

Anonymous Coward

"All it needs now is for someone to port Android to it."

Windows Phone is a fast, stable, efficient and secure platform with zero malware. Installing Android would simultaneously defeat all of those accomplishments....

Gold badge

Win Pho seems to run on worse hardware then Android. The problem with cheaper 'Droids is that they're often sluggish and stuttery. That's been my experience. Whereas the Lumia 710 I had for a while did less, and was less flexible, but did most of it very well. Phone, contacts, email, messaging, navigation all good to great - browsing and search via Bing mediocre to OK. Apps were mostly dire. I was happy with that, as I'm not a big app user on phones.

I don't think Windows Phone can compete too well at the top end. It's not rubbish, but apps are more important there, and the only things it's much better at are contact management and camera. But at the bottom end there aren't any iPhones and a lot of the 'Droids are disappointing.

Anonymous Coward

"Windows Phone is a fast, stable, efficient and secure platform with zero malware"

Yeah, but it's still ugly as feck.

Pint

Re: "or just "because it's Microsoft"?

Microsoft would be a good enough reason if your memory goes any further back than a couple of months.

What with their abortive product changes, they look like an out-of-control car playing ping-pong with the guide rails.

Add them screwing all their Music customers who PURCHASED DRM music, by simply turning off their DRM servers after a few years without compensation.

A company that pulls off a theft like that once, you know what their view on their customers is.

As for the OS, for me, its enough that I can't customize it, cause Microsoft insists on forcing their garish tile look on me.

I still think Elop is a trojan horse, responsible for the destruction of Nokia.

Local opinion on these new Nokia's is that they're great phones, everyone seems surprised on how well Winpho 8 works on a Snapdragon, and speed and ease of use is universally lauded. In most USER reviews one of the most common phrases is 'I didn't expect'. What is however mentioned in nearly every case is that the battery charge does not perform anywhere near the numbers cited by Nokia.

Let's hope Nokia finds a way claw themselves back from the abyss, preferably with some fine phones.

I recently moved from an HTC Desire Z to a Lumia 920 and the battery life is certainly better than it was on the HTC. If you're not big on apps - and I'm not - it's a great phone. Maps are superb, so is voice, internet, email, messaging...couldn't care less about anything else.

The 720 certainly looks like a good prospect. The problem is the Android competition; that is Nexus 4 territory for a device not terribly bigger. Or the Galaxy S III can be had for just as cheap on contract.

But kudos to Nokia for getting a seemingly competitive handset to market.

Silver badge

just as cheap on contract

hmm, I feel there may be a hidden extra cost here, can't quite put my finger on it....

Gold badge

That's got to be a bugger for anyone trying to sell a mid-market phone. The Google Nexus 4. Not nice to try to compete against that.

I wonder if Google should do a low-end Nexus device, where there'd be a real benefit to the processor from not having to run crapware, trialware and operator/manufacturer skins? Say a £150 from one of the Chinese companies?

That would properly screw Nokia and MS - assuming they aren't already...

Anonymous Coward

"The Lumia 620 has been well-received, and deservedly so"

By whom? People buying them? They've been smart enough to keep their purchases off the sales figures somehow, then.

Microsoft Windows Phone FAIL. (sorry Eadon)

Pint

Re: "The Lumia 620 has been well-received, and deservedly so"

I've got one, works well and not too large like Nexus 4 and all the rest.

Has Google taken over the "spawn of the Devil" mantle from Microsoft?

Bronze badge
Coat

Nah, evil comes in many flavours.

Anonymous Coward

"They've been smart enough to keep their purchases off the sales figures somehow, then."

? Windows Phone sales have been steadily increasing. They already overtook Blackberry to be the 3rd OS in most of the world.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

"Windows Phone sales have been steadily increasing. They already overtook Blackberry to be the 3rd OS in most of the world."

Yep - by miles: http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-phone-sales-see-global-gains-while-blackberry-falters

Anonymous Coward

By reviewers, you know, those people who are supposed to make their living quantifying how good something is.

Most Fandroids on here have never even seen a Windows Phone in use, so they are just joining in with the mindless sheeple-like attacks on it.

Silver badge

"Yep - by miles: http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-phone-sales-see-global-gains-while-blackberry-falters"

The main thing that table seems to show is how badly both Blackberry AND MS are doing

Mushroom

Very much a "no shit, Sherlock" moment

It's been obvious for over a year that the world consists of three mobile markets - the US, Japan and everywhere else. The US is distorted by the de facto carrier cartel - for a supposedly business friendly country the US is very good at cartels that work against end users and new business entrants - which push expensive phones on expensive contracts. Japan is Japan. But everywhere else there is a more or less "normal" market with a range of everything from very cheap to Vertu. It isn't hard to see that in such a market, since the cost of features is now so low, even cheap phones will sell on features. And for the great majoity of people, cheap phones are more than good enough.

Blackberry is trying to stay relevant with their 9320, and are believed to be trying to get out a midrange phone with their new OS. Apple is rumoured to be planning mid-range iPhones. But neither of them exactly has a reputation for underpricing their products. (Though the 9320 is better than some of Blackberry's more expensive offerings - a straw in the wind?)

The difference is that both Nokia and Samsung have a reputation for doing cheap rather well.

I guess that every night the directors of Nokia face East, fall to their knees, and implore God to make little Kim launch off everything he's got at South Korea.

Nuke, because one well placed one would save Nokia.

Unhappy

Re: Very much a "no shit, Sherlock" moment

OK so I'm obviously very wrong about something - perhaps some of the people who downvoted would like to say why? I wasn't trolling, I just thought that the Reg might be somewhere you could put forward a point of view and, you know, have other people argue with it.

If the "nuke" comment was in poor taste, say so.

"for a supposedly business friendly country the US is very good at cartels that work against end users and new business entrants "

Because our lobbyists and politicians are very good at "plausible dediability" when cash flows and are very good at sneaking in items in important bills that no politician would dare vote against. There was a joke/rumor going around that the reason the relief for Hurricane Katrina took so long to be released was that they needed to figure out the path a new interstate in West Virginia first.

Anonymous Coward

"It's been obvious for over a year that the world consists of three mobile markets - the US, Japan and everywhere else"

It is obvious that you are rather clueless then. Nokia were #1 manufacturer for years without even selling in the USA. The US and Japan are actually quite a small and insignificant mobile markets. Europe (500 million mobile subscribers), China, India, South America, rest of Asia are all much larger markets.

JC_

"The US and Japan are actually quite a small and insignificant mobile markets"

Yeah, compared to Bhutan and Guyana, the #1 and #3 economies in the world are "insignificant" markets... You do know that 450 million very rich people live in those two countries, right?

Anonymous Coward

Why?

I always find that using my nose works well enough that I don't have to take my gloves off.

Bronze badge

Re: Why?

Doing swipe with your nose might be possible but pinch?

Silver badge

Re: Why?

Pinch? Use your tongue as well.

OK, that might look bad if its certain types of video you were watching...

Silver badge
Meh

What were they waiting two years for...

... it's almost as if they've decided that it's better to make a loss on a sold cheap phone than it is to make a loss on an unsold middle-range or expensive phone.

And do they actually have any designers left or have they decided to recycle the N9 forever?

Silver badge

... loss on a sold cheap phone

With a large cash flow from their patent pool and another from MS, selling phones at a loss might be a sustainable business model.

Business 2.0, now I can see you.

Facepalm

Re: ... loss on a sold cheap phone

It's ok. They might lose money on every phone, but they'll make it up in volume! ;)

Re: What were they waiting two years for...

Look back over the number of people they've got rid of in recent times.

The answer is, no, they don't have any designers. So you get a fondle slab like every other company, nothing exciting, new or intelligent. What about those of us that like to use a phone while we walk? Can't do that with a damned touch screen. - I want buttons, those old fashioned things with good tactile feedback that worked!

This isn't just a Nokia problem, all phone companies have got a single track mind with the single exception of Blackberry.

same old nokia

OK fair enough Nokia are moving to a full range of phones on one platform but their choice of releases just looks like the Nokia of old with variations of previous handsets with slight variations of features. Any other manufacturer you can normally he safe in the knowledge that newer is better on a particular price range but Nokia just makes it difficult for their customers.

Anonymous Coward

Re: same old nokia

What customers?

Anonymous Coward

Re: same old nokia

Erm, Samsung? HTC? they're all the same. Slight variations.

What you do is reduce costs gradually on each item to create a range. There will be someone who wants expandability, someone who wants the better camera, someone who wants the better screen. For the person who wants it all they go for a higher up phone.

Anonymous Coward

Never Mind All This Lumia Fluff ...

Where's the Nokia 301 Dual?

Something useful, instead of more same-ol'-same-ol' tab-slab phones.....

Perfect phone

I picked up a 520 last night from Carphone Warehouse (£99 unlocked) to replace broken Samsung Galaxy.

Within 5 minutes I had 2 email accounts synced, Facebook integration sorted, contacts copied from old phone, Skype working. All without even a slight hitch, or speed issue. All the basics of a phone on the WP8 devices just work, seamlessly.

I understand that the above experience is not for everyone, a number of my Friends won’t touch the device unless you can root it / install free apps / get it infested with Malware etc, but for the rest that just want a phone that just works, and works first time, it’s the perfect phone. And for £99, and thing more is just a waste.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Perfect phone

Could you comment on how slick it is at switching between apps, loading web-pages, etc? I have the 610 and like it but it doesn't support Skype (too little memory) and can be slow - if the 520 is better than the 610 I'm very interested.

Oh and also... does it work with iPlayer? Windows Phone 7 apparently does not but perhaps IE10 fixes that?

I can't answer about the 520 ( I have an 920) , but regarding the iPlayer it's "coming soon" http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Microsoft_mobile

but seeing the bad job the BBC have done at bringing the iPlayer to Android ( implementation and timescales ) as opposed to the slick IOS offerings I wouldn't hold my breath at it a. coming soon and b. being up to much more than just a streaming service.

Pie

Check out the free games from Miniclip at the moment, and get AlphaJax as well...

Performance is very quick, and unlike the 610 the 520 runs the vast majority of apps, and has full background service and live tile features.

The app loading speed is not quite up to the 920 I also have (my work phone) but it’s not far off. A very rough speed test was 2 seconds to load the Facebook app on the 920 and 3 seconds on the 520. That’s probably due to the 920 having a 50% faster CPU.

The app availability is a little sore point, but of my three most used apps I am missing, iplayer and Barclays banking have confirmed that are releasing shortly, just Runkeeper and I have all the apps I had on my Samsung.

JDX
Gold badge

Thanks a lot James, I appreciate that.

James, you could have skipped malware slur infestation in that marketing rant.

If you're a fan of Runkeeper, Caledos Runner is worth checking out. Not quite as smart as Runkeeper on iOS and Android but it works well and integrates with Runkeeper.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: Ugly Phones

But Eadon, 'Anonymous Coward' already said this at 07:37 GMT on Thursday 11th April 2013.......

You need to start setting your alarm a bit earlier to keep up with the competition.

EADON FAIL

Anonymous Coward

Guess what, people have different tastes. That is why there isn't one type of clothing for every person on the planet, or would you dictate that to everyone?

You really can't get it into your little mind that your own opinions and tastes aren't the same as everyone else's. Or is this the "open source" herd mentality? I thought you lot were all for choices.

Silver badge
Trollface

And what's your opinion on the N9?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.