back to article Foot-long slab too big? Microsoft 'has a 7-incher' to stroke

Microsoft will put a smaller, 7-inch Windows 8-powered Surface laptop-cum-tablet into production this year, according to insiders. Shrinking the touchscreen slab wasn't part of Microsoft's strategy when the then-Windows chief Steven Sinofsky unveiled Redmond's own 12-inch Surfaces and similar-sized Windows 8 devices from PC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doomed to failure

You will find this on the shelves next to the Kin and Zune.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doomed to failure

If Microsoft continue with their fingers in their ears, yes.

Microsoft have fooled themselves into believing that their problems are because of the formfactor, or the size, or the build quality or price. However the REAL problem as everyone knows, is bloody Windows 8 RT/Windows Phone 8/ Windows 8 (take your pick).

2. Shagbag

The answer is simple...

...just make something that consumers actually want.

The problem is that MSFT have been in a monopoly position for too long and have struggled to spot consumer trends. Even the biggest IT consumer trend at the moment (not wanting TIFKAM) is staring them in the face but they refuse to open their eyes and look at it.

They are the high school bully who still thinks he can still throw his weight around even after everyone has graduated.

2. JDX Gold badge

Dear Microsoft

HIRE SOME BLOODY DEVELOPERS WITH THE SOLE JOB OF WRITING DECENT APPS. Stop waiting on everyone else, it will cost 1% of your marketing budget and do far more good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Microsoft

... or... you could just buy any of the excellent devices that ALREADY have 800,000 apps available for them. Duh.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 14:09. The OP suggested the need for decent apps, not hundreds of thousands of crap amateur waste of SSD type apps polluting the various app stores.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Microsoft If 8% are bad, all apps are bad.

Wow. You think all 800,000 out of 800,000 apps are awful? If that's the case... you really shouldn't own a device that runs apps at all. They aren't for everyone. (How many apps have you actually used? 1000? You have BARELY scratched 8% of the surface.)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Microsoft If 8% are bad, all apps are bad.

@AC 14:24. Calm down! Some great apps on Android, iOS and even Windows 8. I don't know of an app to help train the mind in application of logic otherwise I'd recommend it to help you understand it is possible for 100s of thousands of rubbish apps to exist in a store which also contains some brilliant examples. And statistical sampling is sufficient to reach that conclusion.

2. Dana W
          Trollface

Yeah, Google Marketplace is pretty bad that way.

2. imaginarynumber

And which vendor has 800,000 tablet specific apps?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"HIRE SOME BLOODY DEVELOPERS WITH THE SOLE JOB OF WRITING DECENT APPS. Stop waiting on everyone else, it will cost 1% of your marketing budget and do far more good."

Welcome to the chicken and egg syndrome, alternatively go and use a platform that is well supported.

Don't you just love the irony that the sole reason Windows purveys on the desktop is the wealth of programs compared to other platforms, yet the reason it's failing in mobile is the lack of them.

I used to be an atheist but I just think there might be a God after all.

3. Irk
      Go

Any studios making Windows 8 apps right now could make a killing. The market's wide open and there's very little competition. Most apps in the Win8 store are free "I learned to make an app with a tutorial in 3 hours" apps that you wouldn't even bother downloading. I recall it being that way early in Android/iOS's lives too, though. So anyone who wants to make something right now that's not just a port of a guaranteed seller or something useless like Unofficial Facebook Like App #58 could easily turn a profit.

Shame I don't develop apps or I would have already gone in and done it.

3. hplasm
    Meh

New ads!

Higher pitched clicking!

Dancing midgets!

Now with extra WTF!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

technology

Clover trail CPU power/performance is reasonably competitive with current shipping ARM tablet processors but the GPU is abysmal. 22nm quad core Bay trail is apparently on target for Q3 and sounds promising if GPU and other improvements are as rumoured but I suspect Microsoft will still go with a nexus-competitive ARM SoC so this will be another in the Surface RT line rather than a full Windows 8.

Could be a great device but going by the Microsoft track record on Surface RT hardly surprising if the first thing that goes through our minds is would be just like Microsoft to announce a comparatively low resolution display at a premium price in the same month Apple Mini goes retina and the new Nexus 7 has already upped the ante for Android.

1. asdf

Re: technology

Intel GPU performance has always been a sad joke.

1. Philippe

I couldn't agree more.

GMA actually stands for Games, My Ass.

2. asdf

Wow a downvote for stating the obvious that Intel GPU technology is always half a decade behind everyone else? Must have been an Intel employee.

5. Ziggyman

Awesome Header

Now THAT is how you get attention.....Take that Yahoo!!!!! "7 incher to stroke"......AWESOME!!!!!!!!

6. s. pam Silver badge
    WTF?

Hey MSFT, we don't care!!!

Windows 8 is what is lining the waste treatment plant near the M40 in Slough.

It is brown, yucky, smells/looks bad and is devoid of use.

Get a real O/S -- no one wants your fondleslabs w/o one -- even Android rocks vs. Windows 8.

1. Oninoshiko
      Joke

Re: Hey MSFT, we don't care!!!

Devoid of use? The cesspool is the classic source of saltpeter, vital in the creation of black powder. Furthermore, the quality of excrement for fertilization is well documented.

I demand you cease the slanderous comparisons of windows 8 to comparatively useful human excrement forthwith!

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Hey MSFT, we don't care!!!

>"Windows 8 is what is lining the waste treatment plant near the M40 in Slough. It is brown, yucky, smells/looks bad and is devoid of use."

Clearly, you have no clue how to properly set up and administer a computer system. If you MUST use Windows, Win8 runs circles around older versions. Unless you dislike speed and stability.

7. Andrew Moore
    Facepalm

Worse thing is...

...you know that a bunch of marketdroids sat around a table and convinced themselves that the reason that Windows 8/Surface Tabs weren't selling was because they didn't have a 7" form factor...

8. devildog263
    Happy

Really?

Is a foot-long slab too big for you? Need a 7-incher to stroke? And it's a laptop cum tablet? With the right ad placement strategy, this is a clear winner. All they have to do is promote the firmness of the firmware and reassure buyers that the battery won't discharge prematurely.

9. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Facepalm

How much?

I'd buy a Win8 tablet/slab if they weren't so damned expensive. I bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 just after Xmas for £320 and wasn't going to pay nearly double that for 2" more and way less apps. iOS was right out of the question due to Apple lock downs on WiFi Analyzing apps and similar restrictions, as well as the price. Apps and price is where it's at. Fiddling with yer inches just gets you arrested. :-)

10. fishman

Price point

It will be interesting to see what sort of price point they will be able to come in at. And will they allow others to make inexpensive W8 7" tablets - cutting the W8 licence cost and eliminating the MS Office requirement?

1. Al Jones

Re: Price point

I use my Nexus 7 a couple of hours a day, most for browsing a couple of news sites, e-mail, e-book reader, listening to some foreign radio stations in the background, and playing a couple of time-water games. I have maybe 5 or 6 apps that I use every couple of weeks (an RDP client, WiFi analyzer, web-cam viewer, a DVR control), and a few dozen that I've only used once or twice since I installed them, but keep thinking they might be handy some time.

There's absolutely no reason I couldn't be doing all of this on a Win8 7" device (can I play music/stream radio in the backround while running a different foreground app in RT?). But I have zero interest in paying even $1 extra for an Office RT license - it has absolutely no relevance to my use of a 7" tablet. I can't imagine that there is any great demand for any kind of Office Suite on 7" tablets.

A 7" Win8 tablet might be Microsoft's best hope of getting wider acceptance of Win8, but they have to get their heads out of their arses and recognize that they are competing with the Nexus 7 and the Fire HD - and that means a $200-$250 price point. And that Amazon and Google set those ground rules a year ago. You have some chance of competing on function - if you prefer to compete on form instead, and go for an iPad Mini price, you're wasting your time and ours.

1. Mike Brown

Re: Price point

agree totally , they are competing with the ipad, when they should be competing with the fire or the nexus.

11. Gene

Can they do that...

...without changing the aspect ratio? Not sure the current one will work well on a smaller tablet.

12. Jess

Windows tablets seem to be a total loser to me.

RT tablets.

These are locked down and Microsoft have a very bad history of pulling the plugs on systems for anything other than x86/x64 processors. So when they do, there isn't even an option for enthusiasts to keep the platform viable. (Like in the desktop world the PowerPC Mac, dropped ages ago, but still, up to date Thunderbird and Firefox ports are available.)

Apple in the tablet world have a proven record of providing new OSes to existing kit and have reasonable software compatibility between OSes. Why would anyone who doesn't mind a locked down system choose RT over an iPad, unless it were very significantly cheaper?

x86 Win 8 tablets.

These seem to be a ridiculous idea, why would you want a more power hungry and heat producing device in a tablet? Plus do users want all the ongoing maintenance that goes with x86 windows, in a tablet? I think not.

Added to that the unsuitability of Windows 8 for non touchscreen devices, this means the only sensible use for Windows 8 is for Chimera devices that switch between a tablet and a laptop. However I would think the appeal of such devices is limited, because when using it for tablet functions, it will be heavier and have a poorer battery life that a simple ARM tablet. It would appear to me that an ARM tablet plus a (possibly several years old) desktop system would be a better option for many users. Especially since supplementing an existing PC with an ARM tablet is likely to cost half what replacing it with a Chimera would.

13. mark l 2 Silver badge

They will release a 7 inch tablet but still be pricing it to close to compete with the iPad mini rather than the Nexus 7 or Amazon kindle fire so ultimately sales will be slow.

If people have the choice between paying about £270 for an ipad mini or a 7 inch surface i think most people will choose the iPad because of its assumed coolness factor.

Maybe Microsoft should think about giving Windows RT licenses for free to OEMs for 6 or 12 months to encourage them to drop the prices of the devices and build up the Windows ecosystem, but of course this will never wash with the shareholders

1. Richard Plinston

> Maybe Microsoft should think about giving Windows RT licenses for free to OEMs

That would be interesting given their current complaint to the EU about how anti-competitive a free OS is.

I did see some reference to a drop in price to $30 for OEMs, but that may just have been a rumor.

14. Philippe
    WTF?

Expected sales numbers?

If there is a correlation between the size of a tablet and the sales numbers then Microsoft could be onto something.

Let's see.

10.6 inch = 4 tablets sold

7 inch= 4*(7/10.6) = 2.64 tablets sold

That's like a 50% increase in sales. Not bad.

What?? Stupid idea, I know but it's almost Friday and I need to start training.

15. Richard Pennington 1
    Joke

A foot-long slab...

... should be called the Subway.

16. Richard Plinston

7inch Keyboards ?

Will the new smaller 7inch still use the 10.6inch keyboard/covers or will there be a new range of 7inch keyboards ?

I can't see anyone using MSOffice RT on a 7inch screen nor without a keyboard. Without MSOffice what is the point of Surface ?

17. Stephen Channell
    Unhappy

times running out

"wants to help reinvigorate the PC market".. If Windows Blue doesn't reverse the mistakes go Wi-Eight they face the prospect of IDC, Gartner etc Producing a graph showing Apple taking over PC as well as tables by 2016, its all downhill from there.. Goodbye.

Is there nobody in Microsoft who cares for the company Bill made?

18. milesoftx
    Trollface

SO MUCH INNUENDO

19. Tom 35

12" ?

Thought both were 10.6"

While I think they are too big, that's low on the list of problems.

20. IHateWearingATie

Ethics - I've heard of them.

@Eadon

I'd happily shill for Microsoft if they offered me a free surface pro in exchange. Unfortunately, their astroturfing budget is nowhere as large as you imagine :(

Still, any other company who wants to buy my astroturfing is welcome to send me shiny shiny gadgets.

Microsoft are great! (Where's my free stuff?)

21. David Simpson 1
    Devil

Chase ?

"Chase the iPad Mini"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You mean attempt to not die in a ditch and manage to hold on to last place.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like