The first external hard drive with Intel's extremely pricey Thunderbolt fast cabling system has been announced by HGST, along with a Thunderbolt interface 2-drive dock supporting 2.5-inch disks. G-Technology is HGST's branded line of external drive products and HGST is a WD operating unit. Intel's Thunderbolt runs at 10Gbit/s …
Not the first TB drive
The opening sentence is a bit confusing. This is HGST's first external Thunderbolt drive, not the first ever external TB drive. Other manufacturers such as Seagate have been making external TB drives for a while now and LaCie even has a whole line of Thunderbolt drives. http://www.lacie.com/uk/more/?id=10149
lacie only make enclosures...
More pedantic STILL...
LaCie don't just make enclosures - they make POPULATED enclosures, which separates them from those manufacturers making JUST enclosures. Their POPULATED enclosures have warranties on the storage inside, as apart from those selling JUST enclosures. Please get it right.
More importantly, they make some COOL LOOKING enclosures....
Isn't this old news?
As a Mac user, I could have sworn that HGST have had these Thunderbolt drives out for a while...like this page showing user reviews from September 2012 would indicate:
So do these drives simply not exist if a Windows-only user doesn't have a Thunderbolt port to actually hook them to?
- JLaw, Kate Upton exposed in celeb nude pics hack
- Google flushes out users of old browsers by serving up CLUNKY, AGED version of search
- GCHQ protesters stick it to British spooks ... by drinking urine
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? If you think 3D printing is just firing blanks, just you wait