The first external hard drive with Intel's extremely pricey Thunderbolt fast cabling system has been announced by HGST, along with a Thunderbolt interface 2-drive dock supporting 2.5-inch disks. G-Technology is HGST's branded line of external drive products and HGST is a WD operating unit. Intel's Thunderbolt runs at 10Gbit/s …
Not the first TB drive
The opening sentence is a bit confusing. This is HGST's first external Thunderbolt drive, not the first ever external TB drive. Other manufacturers such as Seagate have been making external TB drives for a while now and LaCie even has a whole line of Thunderbolt drives. http://www.lacie.com/uk/more/?id=10149
lacie only make enclosures...
More pedantic STILL...
LaCie don't just make enclosures - they make POPULATED enclosures, which separates them from those manufacturers making JUST enclosures. Their POPULATED enclosures have warranties on the storage inside, as apart from those selling JUST enclosures. Please get it right.
More importantly, they make some COOL LOOKING enclosures....
Isn't this old news?
As a Mac user, I could have sworn that HGST have had these Thunderbolt drives out for a while...like this page showing user reviews from September 2012 would indicate:
So do these drives simply not exist if a Windows-only user doesn't have a Thunderbolt port to actually hook them to?
- Oh noes, fanbois! iPhone 6 Plus shipments 'DELAYED' in the UK
- The sound of silence: One excited atom is so quiet that the human ear cannot detect it
- Bloat-free, unlocked Moto X to be dubbed 'Pure Edition', says report
- In a spin: Samsung accuses LG exec of washing machine SABOTAGE
- Feature Be your own Big Brother: Monitoring your manor, the easy way