Feeds

back to article MISSING LINK between HUMANS and MONKEYS FOUND

Scientists claim to have identified the missing link between human speech and monkey chatter. Researchers analysed the distinctive "lip-smacking" sounds made by wild gelada baboons of the Ethopian highlands and found striking similarities to human speech. Their noises are so human-like that Thore Bergman, an assistant professor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Joke

ObJoke

I thought the missing link between monkey chatter and human speech was YouTube comments.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Missing Link between humans and monkies found

I was expecting PE Teachers

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Missing Link between humans and monkies found

I was expecting Apple users

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Thumb Up

Re: ObJoke

I love the progression of replies to this and how they were increasingly poorly received

Anonymous Coward

I always thought it was Steve Ballmer

Silver badge
Joke

Millennium hand and shrimp, I told em I told em, they'd only run out, buggrit, buggrem, doorsteps, I told em, I told em, don't try the blarney gobble on me, juggins, buggrit, buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp

Joke

The Apple-using PE teachers who are uploading video to YouTube must be frothing at the mouth while grinding their teeth, resulting in quivering lips.

Joke

Creationists would have been ironic!

Joke

I'm surprised nobody has mention politicians yet. Is that because Baboon levels of intelligence are too high to form a valid comparison...?

Gav
Thumb Down

Re: Missing Windows 8 User

Oh give it a rest, why don't you?

Silver badge

Looks like Eadon is collecting downvotes again.

Either that or he's trying to be funny.

WTF?

notice Gav didnt say the same to ukgnome......

anyway, this story is nonsense, everyone knows God gave us English when he invented us.

Silver badge

Actually I think you'll find Apple™ holds the intellectual property rights to humans. We created them so that we'd have people to buy our products. By claiming otherwise you are infringing the intellectual property rights of Apple™. We will see you and this "God" in court.

The immediate successor of Peter as Pope was called Linus.

Anonymous Coward

Eadon, at last found his grandfather, a Windows user. Shocking, indeed but all information is for the good of all of us.

Silver badge
Joke

so thats why i have rounded corners then!

mystery solved!

Happy

I can hear the lawyer, now, in his summing-up of his plaintive's case "...and so, m'Lord, I ask that you find in favour of my client, Apple Inc, as clearly humans do exhibit some facets of 'rounded corner' and also have 'retinal features'...."

Silver badge

I wonder what is the record for downvotes?

Happy

Re: Eadon...

..does anyone else get a flashback to Star Wars - TESB - and the light saber scene on cloud city?

Eadon has just had his hand chopped off, and Bill gates issues forth in a sinister voice...

"Eadon...*I* am your father..."

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Lip Smacking eh?

"Male geladas smack their lips to produce a distincive "wobble" in their calls to females."

So that's how to woo the ladies! So I've not been smacking my lips and wobbling enough all this time?

Coat

Re: Lip Smacking eh?

Generally they've been smacking mine. Alright, slapping.

Anonymous Coward

Works very well, never knew why, though.

IT Angle

Yes, they sit on their construction sites having lunch and do that. Never noticed the ladies liked it though.

Coat

M Thatcher?

She was rather draconian and took a sledge hammer approach to most things.

I think see was more likely Iron mans grandmother though, being the Iron lady and everything.

Bergman said: “The ability to produce complex sounds might have come first. Then, when we could do that, we could attach meanings and communicate in more sophisticated ways."

So evolutionary advantage not involved from the onset?

What on earth are you "dawkin about"?

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

"Bergman said", but what he wanted to say, is that we first wanted to attach meanings and communicate in more sophisticated ways and then started to produce complex sounds. First we want to have a faster internet and then we start to produce one. I am starting to feel it would have been more fun with science than with computers.

Joke alert, if not anon. My bet would be that that started at the same time.

missing link between human speech and monkey chatter

Teenagers?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: missing link between human speech and monkey chatter

> Teenagers?

I didn't think they spoke!

For anyone who wants to hear the sound of a male Gelada

The Beeb have a sound clip in their story!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22067192

Re: For anyone who wants to hear the sound of a male Gelada

or simply listen to any song by Justin Bieber

Silver badge

"He said: “The ability to produce complex sounds might have come first. Then, when we could do that, we could attach meanings and communicate in more sophisticated ways. Or it could be that, as we needed to communicate more, we developed an ability to produce a greater variety of sounds.”"

Or maybe God did created us by magic.

Just sayin'

Silver badge
Coat

Re: From now on - Down votes (@ Eadon)

WOW! A post by Eadon without the word 'Windows' in it! The Second Coming is near!!!

:-D

Anonymous Coward

Re: From now on - Down votes

You said it, just there - a downvote for you.

Silver badge

it's bananas

The Aquatic ape hypothesis of Elaine Morgan is much more likely.

Right or wrong it's a thought provoking read anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Morgan_%28writer%29

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: it's bananas

Plenty of those at the pool where I try to swim lengths

Re: it's bananas

"The Aquatic ape hypothesis of Elaine Morgan is much more likely.

Right or wrong it's a thought provoking read anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Morgan_%28writer%29"

Here's a link to provoke a little more skeptical thought.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4357

Brian Dunning FTW!

Bronze badge

“The ability to produce complex sounds might have come first."

It might well have. But in terms of language, comprehension necessarily precedes production so we need to be examining what meaning if any is attached to these noises by these apes before we can claim to have made any great strides in plotting the evolution of speech.

Bronze badge

Re: “The ability to produce complex sounds might have come first."

"It is not about language, but speech"

Fair enough.

They've found a monkey whose articulation is comparable with our own and that's certainly interesting and fun but doesn't add a great deal to the field as this articulation is not present in our closer primate relatives.

If Mr Hammill could actually lend some weight to one or other side of " “The ability to produce complex sounds might have come first. Then, when we could do that, we could attach meanings and communicate in more sophisticated ways. Or it could be that, as we needed to communicate more, we developed an ability to produce a greater variety of sounds.”" that would be more interesting.

Bronze badge

Ta. That is indeed interesting.

Silver badge
Angel

Also missing was the other article in the same publication: "A paradox in the evolution of primate vocal learning."

I only read the summary, but my understanding from elsewhere is that humans can't develop language if they aren't exposed to complex language. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think there's also a bit of a time limit to learn to speak "in the wild." 10 years IIRC.

I'm also a bit suspicious of the "evolution" tag. I'm not sure that Invoking The Holy Word That May Never Be Denied makes your research valid.

Silver badge
Gimp

Unfortunately...

...Eadon escaped from his cage before the scientists were finished with him.

Just like a monkey, the noise coming from his mouth wasn't speech - just random babbling.

They did find that he was good at flinging his shite at others though...

Pint

Re: Missing Link between humans and monkeys found

It's called alcohol, judging from the subhuman behavior seen in most town centres in the early hours of Saturday and Sunday mornings. Gets progressively louder and more agressive, only understandable by the similarly pissed up, and mostly done to impress females?

I appreciate that it's an insulting comparison, and I'd like to apologise in advance to any monkeys reading this.

Beer, for obvious reasons.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.