Feeds

back to article Microsoft squashes 9 bugs with Patch Tuesday fixes

Microsoft has issued nine patches for vulnerabilities in its software on the computer-murk jamboree day that is Patch Tuesday. The updates plug two "critical" vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer and Windows that allow for remote code execution, and seven "important" vulns that allow for privilege escalation, denial of service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Plugs holes in IE10"

Normally Eadon deserves a down-vote just for being Eadon, the current #1 in fanboi trollery.

But I decided to up vote him this time just for the creativeness of "RUNAWAY GRAVITATIONAL COLLAPSE FAIL".

Anonymous Coward

Yeah? Well, I downvoted him based on his astounding double-think, which seems to run along the lines of:

Linux is fantastic because it's patched as soon as there are any problems / Windows is rubbish because it needs to be patched.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

@anon

Shame you don't have the balls to stand behind your own opinions by putting your name on them isn't it.

Bronze badge

I downvoted for boring predictability.

Make me wonder if most of Eadon's comments are made by some kind of AI bot using a template.

Can we get a "shut up, you're boring" icon please, Reg?

Anonymous Coward

When everyone posts with their own name, I will too.

Remind me, is Damiel Palmer your own name, are you posting anon as well, or is it one of the at least two IDs that Eadon uses?

I stopped posting with my name when someone said they thought the knew who I was and they'd try to test out my personal and my employer's security. I'm not putting myself, my family or my employer at risk in any way by posting on the Internet.

Silver badge
Facepalm

" I'm not putting myself, my family or my employer at risk in any way by posting on the Internet."

Just by espousing Windows...

Anonymous Coward

Not espousing Windows, commenting about a tedious OS zealot's ability to hold two contradictory opinions at the same time.

I use a damn site more OSes than just Windows, which would be why I'm qualified to comment, unlike Eadon, who continually displays his ignorance of Windows.

Silver badge
Happy

"When everyone posts with their own name, I will too."

Amusingly paradoxical!

Silver badge
FAIL

IE 10

I tried it with the last round of updates.

No more. I had to remove it. more than 50% of the sites I went to just didn't work. One showed me just the frames. No text, buttons or anything else. Mega fail.

I don't want the Bing Desktop, Silverlight or IE10.

Yet hiding them does not stop then from being shown the next update time.

Microsoft really suck when it comes to updates. Don't even get me started on the reboots.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Childcatcher

Re: IE 10

You aren't far wrong :)

I've been a long time Windows (3.0)/Linux(slackware 1.1) and OSX(10.2) user.

For my personal computing I gave up on Windows some 4 years ago and switched to OSX mainly out of frustration with Windows and all the extra crud you have to install and use just to make the experience half decent.

I've been advocating Linux for years and I've been using Unix for 30+ years

Sadly my current job requires me to use Windows mainly because other parts of the company love MSMQ. As someone who wrote a message queueing system back in the early 1980's, I fully appreciate how much a toy MSMQ is when compared to proper Message Queueing Systems(JMS or WMQ etc).

Silver badge

Re: I had to remove it.

Really?

Granted I don't have much experience with it since work is still on IE8 and I prefer Firefox at home, but I quite thought one of the reasons the server admins who run WSUS didn't want to even test IE10 was that there IS NO REMOVAL.

Pint

Re: IE 10

Since I cannot actually get rid of IE (and to tell the truth, the few times I've used it recently, I've found it not half bad), I figure I might as well update it. Still haven't figured out why it manages to collect discardable crap even when not using it tho. Bing I simply opt out of. And does anything actually use Silverlight? No matter, might as well have a 'fixed' version than not. Nonetheless, I update Windows whenever it is updatable. Have it set to 'download and tell me' rather than automatic and this works well. Never had an update go kabluey. The reboots are a tad annoyng, but I find Windows just gets cranky if left on too long and just needs a reboot to clear its silly head now and then.

Beer, just cause I want one. Cooking sherry sucks.

Alert

Privilege escalation is a larger target now

Previously labeled "important" because the average user used to run with escalated (admin) privileges anyway, these should become "critical" as we finally can run as non-admins without badly designed applications getting in the way, and this will become the way to hack Windows without social engineering.

If I can only get parents not to cave in to kids screaming for Mommy's password... sometimes I feel like a doctor trying to tell their patient to stop smoking.

Now I'm not only recommending non-admin for daily work and play, but I'm finding myself recommending pro editions of Windows to homes, because of SRP.

FAIL

MS Update KB2823324 - Issue with Kaspersky Antivirus

The above mentioned patch was released yesterday by Microsoft and has been seen to cause issues with systems running Kaspersky antivirus, in that it disables Kaspersky and causes a check disk to run upon each reboot of the system.

It may affect other Antivirus programmes as well.

If you do find that you are affected by this, uninstall the MS update and reboot your system.

Kaspersky are aware and are working on a fix. They are currently advising not to install the above mentioned update.

Re: MS Update KB2823324 - Issue with Kaspersky Antivirus

Affected versions of Kaspersky are:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows Workstations / Server version 6.0.4.1424, 6.0.4.1611 or Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8 for Windows version 8.1.0.831

Re: MS Update KB2823324 - Issue with Kaspersky Antivirus

Have been informed by Kaspersky that Microsoft have now removed the update from automatically applying from Windows update

This topic is closed for new posts.