Feeds

back to article Speaking in Tech: Forget BYOD, now there's Bring Your Own CODE

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise For this latest Speaking in Tech podcast, Ed Saipetch is flying solo: his co-hosts Greg Knieriemen and Sarah Vela are away this week. But fear not, Ed has plenty lined up and has recorded today's session live from DeployCon at CloudConnect in Santa Clara, California. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Facepalm

Step 3...

...point out to PHB the inherent security risks with what you've sold him on and persuade them to fire all the employees and outsource them "to the cloud" too.

Step 5 - profit!

Silver badge
Big Brother

Why?

individual programmers crafting their own code and running it on someone else's public cloud

Why would I trust this mythical 'someone else' with my Intellectual Property without a whole shed load of legalese behind it.

This 'someone else' is pretty free to pilfer my code and use it to the benefit of their own business. If I recall there have been a few cases where Amazon cloud users have suddenly seen Amazon come out with a service that looks remarkably like their own and usually at a lower price.

Answers on a pin head in copper plate handwriting please.

Indeed!

At 9:36, quote:

"When ever you abstract a part of your process away an organization, that's a good thing"

Really? When "you abstract a part of your process away from an organization", you also abstract RESPONSIBILITY away as well. That's reality.

"You make some assumption on the technology staff you're going to use"

Isn't THAT an understatement!

Sure, your abstraction salesmanship belief has always been good on paper, has been for years. Hand the responsibility of dealing with problems off to someone else, you only deal with what you wish to deal with on your end - using the system that someone else manages for you. But the reality has ALWAYS been different. Why don't you ask the aviation industry, for example, who abstracted their maintenance chores out to contractors beginning the 1980's...and ask them how their reliability experience went. The airlines thought they were washing their hands of the 'headaches' of maintenance only to realize that constant oversight of the third-party operations was the only way to guarantee work quality; I recommend you start your search with "ValuJet Flight 592" and work from there.

Or are you so blind to Apple's current Chinese labor issues that you believe this problem to not exist??

"Abstraction" only builds a layer of new management issues between you and the solution, it is *not* the solution. It *can" lower your personnel count, and therefore costs, but you'd better be prepared to deal with consequences. The fact is that you are now handing the massive responsibility of these chores off to a third party, a third party that must consider profit as much or more than 100% up-time (as it must, in order to remain in business). Since they ARE in business profit is required and, if your costs are lower, then their pay is lower and they must still work in a profit from that lower pay scale. So, in the end, something MUST give a bit - it is called "entropy".

You've just added a layer of entropy into your system and you had better have planned for that.

Mushroom

Re: Indeed!

In last week's episode, we showed you why storing billions of Euros in Cyprus banks is probably not a wise investment decision, completely contrary to what your banker friends may have been telling you for the last several months. In this week's episode, we will touch on why moving the the crown jewels from the Tower of London to Smuggler's Den in the company of Black Beard, the trusty Pirate, may not be a good idea.

And I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Their jobs, at the end of the day, just aren't that important.

Here me out. There's an old saying: If you want something done right, you do it yourself. If you can't do it yourself, or you don't care as much about the results, you get someone else to do it. If they are abstracting away IT, then they are sending a clear message -> we are not reliant on IT. Our servers, workstations, telephones, copiers, lights, and so on could turn off, and we'd still be able to conduct business. We're a 'people' company...our most prized asset is the people we employ, and the relationships we develop when giving you the personalized service that only our company knows how to deliver. And we accomplished this by getting rid of this New Age technological rubbish...it's all too digital, too insensitive; we're trying to get back to analog, to vinyl, to the '70s when it was about the music, about the people, man. We've abstracted our IT operations, so all we have to do is pay a monthly bill, and not listen to some insane twaddle from some poorly dressed dweeb about his need for more bud spray products (dude, I can get cans of Raid for like $10 from the store down the street...why are we paying $700 to some place in Japan?), and whenever I have a problem, I can call their 1-800 number, and they always immediately pickup, day or night, unlike the previous guys, who got really angry if I bothered them on weekends about problems with my kid's iPad. Ok, sure, it might cost a little bit more...and there is a little lag...and it does seem that the cloud does go down from time to time...but they're giving us a discount whenever it goes down! That's money in our pocket!

Hell, we liked the idea so much, we abstracted our programming division, and our legal division. Then we abstracted the accounting division. It's all abstract! We have contracts...rights...and stuff. Money is just pouring in. And....hold on...phone's ringing. Huh. Amazon, the people whom we abstracted our server services to, has suddenly come out with a web service that completely replicates all of the functionality of our code base that we hosted with them...I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Well, on the off chance that it isn't, I'll just call down to legal and...right, we abstracted that department.....well, maybe we can call the programmers, and have them do some snooping and...right, we abstracted them as well...well, certainly IT can compare the code and....right abstracted again....ok., well, let's call accounting and see how long we have until we're bankrupt....damn it, abstracted again.

Silver badge
FAIL

in reply to the snide comments re: transcripts in episode #44

Not everyone can hear, you ingrates.

This topic is closed for new posts.