An Italian researcher has predicted that the global Internet's power demands will surge by 19 percent during 2013, compared to 2012 – and that over time, such ballooning electricity demand will become unsustainable. In a paper published in Science last week (abstract), University of Catania researcher Diego Reforgiato urges more …
All good stuff, but...
..surely the biggest opportunity for power saving is passive (or lower energy) data centre cooling? I know there's been some fancy work on passively cooled data centres, and on using lakes or rivers as heat sinks, but that's not mainstream (yet).
Starting off with the sort of poorly ventilated shed that most DC's appear to sit in is a rather poor start for thermal management, but I'll forego the temptation to suggest simplistic cooling solutions about which I know nothing; Even so, the inherent waste and cost of air conditioning really needs to be a major target, as that's probably two or three times the power costs of the actual racks?
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Hey, YouTube lovers! How about you pay us, we start paying for STUFF? - Google
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast