Feeds

back to article HP fuels second-gen Moonshot servers for April 8 launch

The next-generation of HP's "Project Moonshot" super-dense servers for hyperscale data centers, code-named "Gemini", are being prepped for their long-awaited launch next Monday. HP has a lot a stake with Project Moonshot, not the least of which being the viability of high-volume server manufacturing for big data-center operators …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

All things to nobody

Sadly, HP doesn't know what is has, what it wants, nor where it is going.

They designed a high density ARM solution for very large horizontal scale out. A very cool idea that could jump start a Linux/ARM Cloud infrastructure solution.

However, ARM doesn't run Windows, and Windows is key to everything HP (at least from an HP strategy standpoint).

So now they'll offer lots of different types of CPUs in their high-density solution. This decreases the profit margin, as different types of chips are expensive to integrate and support.

In the end, I believe this project will die because it tries to straddle server technologies rather than continuing the charge into new server infrastructure.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: beemergeek Re: All things to nobody

"Sadly, HP doesn't know what is has, what it wants, nor where it is going....." Hp knows what it wants - to make profits and dominate a new(ish) market sector. The problem is customers haven't made our minds up yet, so hp will want to cover all bases. Hp can afford to invest and support disparate lines so covering all bases makes sense until the market shakes out.

".....and Windows is key to everything HP....." I would suggest it is more of a case of Windows being key to hp's customers. Hp is the largest x64 vendor, and the majority of those customers are running Windows on those servers. If you believe the hype and assume all those customers are going to want to push a large segment of their workloads into the cloud, do you really think they're just going to dump their investment and skills in Windows? Of course not. So hp has to have a Windows-ready cloud solution.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

An interesting choice

I'm looking forward to ElReg's thorough rundown on this gear when it's shipping.

This topic is closed for new posts.