back to article Microsoft says WinPhone outselling iPhone, BlackBerry

Windows Phone is outselling the iPhone in seven nations, says Microsoft mouthpiece corporate vice president of corporate communications Frank X Shaw. “Windows Phone has reached 10 percent market share in a number of countries, and according to IDC’s latest report, has shipped more than Blackberry in 26 markets and more than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Meh

*YAWN*

Someone ought to travel over to Poland and Ukraine and point out to them how crappy Microsoft products and policies are.

Silver badge
Meh

Percentages

My old CEO used to say that talking in percentages is for when you're trying to gloss over unflattering numbers. I've found that to be correct at least 50% of the time.

Anonymous Coward

Not surprised, Nokia's budget Lumias are nice bits of kit and I see a lot more visibility/marketing of their stuff when I'm in India compared to here in HK.

Anonymous Coward

I see a lot more visibility/marketing of their stuff when I'm in India

Nothing to do with there being no Apple phone in the medium and low price range? In India that's not exactly a recipe for success (Yes, I know there are rich Indians, but far fewer than equally rich Americans).

The cheapest Lumia in the UK is now being priced to compete with the cheapest old Blackberry model. That's one way to get market share.

cheapest Lumia in the UK is now being priced to compete with the cheapest old Blackberry

And yet I STILL can't bring myself to buy WinPho (after the experience I had with WP7).

I'll take the Blackberry.

Every time.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I see a lot more visibility/marketing of their stuff when I'm in India

Funny how people whine about Apple kit being expensive, yet if Nokia produces affordable hardware it is seen as "cheap".

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: How to LIE witih selective STATISTICS

Eadon, your posts are beginning to sound desperate now. We will be successful with WinPhone. We are successful with all of our major investments. We have time, money and experience on our side. Just saying....

Silver badge

OK, I'll bite. Why then do you feel the need to take numbers of shipped phones, and call them sales? They're not sales unto they're actually, you know, sold.

Silver badge

That's not actually correct. They can (and are) billed as sales when they are ordered by partners or retailers. This is not a tech specific thing, pretty much every widget industry works this way.

Anonymous Coward

I'll counter: What makes you think that retailers are buying huge amounts of phones which they can't sell, rather than smaller amounts, selling them and then buying more?

Bronze badge
Stop

I don't mean to join the herd of other Eadon defenders, he doesn't need us. You arse clowns banging the Microsoft Drums are becoming more, and more pathetic with each passing day.

Take this comment for example:

"Eadon, your posts are beginning to sound desperate now. We will be successful with WinPhone. We are successful with all of our major investments. We have time, money and experience on our side. Just saying...."

This just reeks of MASSIVE delusions, and desperation now....

But, when Windows Phone manages to actually break a *Real Market* (e.g. A Western European / US/Can One!), then fell free to come back. Till then no One gives a toss about Inda, save the Indians, and the poor bastards that have to call the Micorsoft help line.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - A couple of things, although I don't know why I bother, because you are apparently incapable of listening in an objective manner:

1) The first iPhone was a very poor product, it missed out serious amounts of features which were considered required in a mobile phone at the time, certainly in the EU, if not in the US as well. It wasn't only Balmer who was openly laughing at the device at the time. Over time the iPhone has matured and become a really rather good product, before stagnating because Apple appear to be to frightened to update the UI.

2) If MS are going to lie with figures, why not lie properly, why say "We're big in Macedonia" when they could just as well say "Big in Japan", which is a much larger market, although just as alien to most of the people commenting on mobile matters on the Internet.

3) If MS are destroyed, as you clearly want, what it to keep up the game of Google/Apple/Linux distros? Competition is good, personally I was Linux to be found on more desktops, but it's a fragmented market, which keeps it back - which desktop to use Mint, Ubuntu, Red Hat, Suse, Debian, etc. Also the continual banging on about "the MS conspiracies" really doesn't do the reputation of the Linux vendors any good, even though it's often not them doing the banging on.

Silver badge

The issue is when press releases compare the vendors shipments with their competitor's sales to actual customers, and then make claims about market share.

It is illogical, Captain.

Just because E@d0n is an @rseh0£e doesn't mean everything he posts is wrong. That's 'if B then not A' which does not follow from 'if not A then B'.

Truth tables will set you free.

Anonymous Coward

"But, when Windows Phone manages to actually break a *Real Market* (e.g. A Western European / US/Can One!), then fell free to come back. Till then no One gives a toss "

Well Windows Phone sales already over took Blackberry in the US. And that was last year. Just saying....

http://www.informationweek.co.uk/mobility/smart-phones/windows-phone-tops-blackberry-in-us/240147956

You do know there are 1.2 Billion people in India, with the largest growth in Millionaires outside China.

Ten years from now, they will be far better placed than us in terms of market value

Bronze badge
FAIL

And when was the last time Blackberry were relevant to anything 2007. MOVE ON!!!

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Windows

We will be successful with WinPhone. We are successful with all of our major investments. We have time, money and experience on our side. We are Borg.

Anonymous Coward

"In Q4 2012 both Blackberry and MS lost 25% in terms of market share."

Lies. Only Blackberry declined by ~25%.

"For the three months ended in January, Microsoft (with its Windows Phone and old Windows Mobile platforms) had 3.1 percent of U.S. subscribers, down from 3.2 percent for the three months ended in October. 2011. During that same period BlackBerry’s share declined from 7.8% to 5.9% while Apple’s went up."

So a 0.1% loss equalling a 3% drop in market share - and only in the US. In almost all other markets, Windows Phone market share grew.

"We will be successful with WinPhone. We are successful with all of our major investments. We have time, money and experience on our side. Just saying...."

OK, try it like this:

"We will be successful with ZUNE. We are successful with all of our major investments. We have time, money and experience on our side. Just saying..."

Still believe it?

Silver badge

> I'll counter: What makes you think that retailers are buying huge amounts of phones which they can't sell, rather than smaller amounts, selling them and then buying more?

What makes you think that retailers have bought _any_ of those shipments. It would seem that Nokia has shipped to their local distributors. They may have shipped 'on consignment', ie without any specific orders for that quantity.

In any case the comparison with iPhone is flawed. In many cases iPhones are brought in to countries by the grey market, as they are here, and those are not counted in the shipment comparisons.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: How to LIE ..

Cool. Now do it with KIN. I love that one.

Anonymous Coward

You think Zune was a major investment? It was not. Neither was Bob before anyone mentions it. Xbox was though. And SharePoint and CRM and SQL and all the other product lines we have grown in to multi billion businesses over the last few years.

Zune started as a huge investment. I was a supplier as a small part of that whole environment that was built.

The goal was to go after iPod. Then iPod touch appeared and Zune was ****ed.

Microsoft had the experience to know when it was beat, so they stopped pumping the investment in.

Tell us the size of the write-off on initial Xbox R&D, do (try not to leave off any zeroes); and also why MS felt the need to keep the MS name off the Xbox brand for the first few years.

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

Re: Azure now has a dozen users, up from 6 two years ago!

hahaha, awesome stats! And I wouldn't doubt it is the truth behind MS numbers. After all, Apple also did the faux numbers dance in the times before they hit the Top Three spot.

I at least still see Blackberries in the street, but I haven't yet seen a single Windung Phone. There are a lot of Symbian-toting Nokias, maybe Nokia should see the truth and dump Elop-borg?

Mushroom

I wouldn't mind having a revenue growing 3x.

I can imagine you don't like Microsoft nor their products. But these kind of comments are helping no one. If it would do one thing it's proving that microsoft haters can be irrational and childish. I already feel sorry for the other MS haters here.

Silver badge

First windows phone

I think I saw my first winphone 8 in the wild yesterday. A big square brick a, 900 I think. Guy was reading something with the text set to large and full justified so only three or four words per line, with BIG white spaces between.

Forget iPhones or Blackberry, I've seen more Nexus 4 phones on the subway then I've seen all windows 7/8 phones. I've seen more Samsung S3s today then I've seen winphones.

Silver badge

"I wouldn't mind having a revenue growing 3x."

Neither would I.

But the coffee shop that went bust across the street last year? They were able to have their revenue grow up 10x. That didn't save their business go titsup, as their "revenue" was pretty much chump change. The given value for "x" matters a lot.

The thing is that that coffeeshop probably had a cashflow problem. Microsoft hasn't.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Desperation PR

How embarrassing.

Bronze badge
Megaphone

Pont of view

Point of view

When I look at that graph I see 3 things.

1: iOS's share rose last quarter

2: Adroid's share fell last quarter

3: "the rest" share fell last quarter

Another headline might have been ...

"Android's share plummets, its days are numbered - declining global share hints at fandroid exodus! (Windows Phone still irrelevant)"

Anonymous Coward

Re: Point of view

You could also say:

1. Symbian still outsells windows phones (way to pick 'em there Elop)

2. Linux based OSes outsell WinPhone, Blackberry and iOS combined

Anonymous Coward

Re: Pont of view

Beat me to it. Have an upvote.

Paris Hilton

"1: iOS's share rose last quarter

2: Adroid's share fell last quarter"

And you really believe that? After the beating AAPL took for slowing iDevice sales? And GOOG going through the roof?

Paris, obviously, because she's a virgin.

Silver badge
Stop

You seem not to understand the word "slowing". Sales were up by a healthy percentage, but not quite as much as the market were hoping. Not exponential != "slowing".

Bronze badge

Re: Pont of view @csumpi

You must be the visually challenged induhvidual who down voted me.

It's not a question of what I believe. I simply used my personal examples of the Mk. I eyeball on the graphs as shown. I didn't make the graphs and it matters not a tot if I or anyone else believes them.

I am sorry if you are functionally blind and reality refuses to align with your bigoted world view.

Paris: At least she wears spectacles when needed

Happy

Bring out your dead!

Old Man:"I feel happppppyyyyy!"

Son:No, you don't. You'll keel over any minute.

Old Man:"I think I'll go for a walk!"

*Son clubs old man and puts him on the cart*

I don't know why, but this Monty Python sketch seems very appropriate right now...

WTF?

Statcounter tells us something else

I'm not sure what kind of statistics Microsoft uses but for example in Russia which was mentioned as one of the Windows Phone success lands Statcounter statistics shows that WP share has been quite stable 2.5% for the last 6 months while iOS has grown from 16% to over 25% market share.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-RU-monthly-201209-201302

Statcounter puts WP to "other" category in many other of those mentioned success countries for example India and Poland, so it's hard to tell exactly how they are "kicking Apple in the core".

Paris Hilton

Re: Statcounter tells us something else

Statcounter also tells you that from January to February, Android lost some 25% market share in China.

Paris, still a virgin.

Yeah right!

The spin gets more outrageous every time. Looking forward to hearing Tomi Ahonen on this one.

Anonymous Coward

Blimey, Russia "poor in GDP" per capita, bracketed together with India?

2011 GDP

Russia 21.246 (better than Argentina and Barbados, and much the same as Hungary and Poland and much of the EU)

India 3,627 (better than Papua New Guinea, but then again, less than Iraq...)

So, in round figures, Russia's GDP per capita is apporximately 6x or 600% that of India's.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums