speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise Another seven days in tech, and another banter-packed instalment of El Reg's one-and-only podcast. Join your your hosts, Greg Knieriemen, Ed Saipetch and Sarah Vela for everything you need to know about business-grade IT. This week, the gang is together again, and their …
fondling gadgets on planes
On a recent flight from Dubai to Amman, the flight crew went mad trying to stop people making phone calls as the plane took off, all through the flight and all through the landing.
It was not a long flight but some people went bonkers when the crew tried to take their <redacted> substitutes away from them. The worst offenders were the women but I've found that the men are almost as bad.
I switch my phone off well before I get on the plane and usually only switch it of while I'm waiting for my bags to arrive. I do use a e-reader on the plane but I'm not so addicted to 'stuff' that I can't stop it for half an hour.
you could be talking to someone and their phone signifies the arrival of a tweet. They immediately stop what they are doing and spend the next 20 minutes having their internet fix before realizing that you are no longer standing around like an idiot and are actually doing some work.
We started placing a big jug of water on the table in meetings. Any tweets/email alerts that took your attention away from the meeting and your phone went into the jug. The interruptions soon stopped.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination
- I KNOW how to SAVE Microsoft. Give Windows 8 away for FREE – analyst