According to upstart Pure, other vendors' flash arrays don't deliver the advantages they are supposed to. Standing out from the crowd is what a new flash array start-up has to do, and having a marketing message saying it's a top tier all-flash array (AFA) vendor alongside EMC, NetApp and SolidFire is all very well but Pure doesn …
I have sympathies for companies like Pure.
They are operating in a sector where its dog-eat-dog, Unfortunately their products sell at a similar price point to more well known brands. Bottom line is customers will be reluctant to commit to purchasing a product when there is no guarantee it will still be available or supported in 12-18 months, instead customers will stick with people like EMC as they are a safer bet.
Or wait for a big brand who don't have an all-flash offering to buy them out.
what about integration with the array? Steps #1 through #9 are the back-end part of the storage biz. That still make the array easy to use.
For our midsize IT shop, we've got the following criteria
1. $/perf & $/GB-- doubt flash can meet the equivalent of hybrids from the likes of netapp, tintri, nimble, emc
2. perf -- flash arrays deliver much better performance, but it far exceeds what we need. we are happy with the fas3000 family. maybe afa isn't for us
3. integration and ease of management... i love netapp, emc, tintri and nimble's story here... vss integration, vcenter integration. that's what we admins needs to make our life easier.
And this is effective how, exactly?
Not sure I see the pitch here. There's simply no chance I would ever make a storage array swap without a serious in-house eval (30 days MINIMUM), running my workloads in my environment. Any vendor that won't let me do that is off my list immediately. Does Pure really think I'm going to fight with management for the funds, buy their product without an eval, and then return it if I don't like it? I'm sure that would instill confidence in the beancounters that I know what I'm doing!
"The Guarantee is on the Box!"
Pure protesteth too much!
This is above and beyond the usual horn tooting. Is Dietzen getting pressure from his board to actually shows sales?
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- Vid+Pics Microsoft WINDOWS 10: Seven ATE Nine. Or Eight did really
- Analysis Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT
- Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests