back to article Myanmar gets a taste of Chocolate Factory as Google search lands

Myanmar’s gradual re-integration with the rest of the world has taken another step forward after Google partially unblocked its Play app store and switched on a .mm search engine for the region, ahead of a visit by Chairperson Eric Schmidt. The executive chairman is set to round off a whistlestop tour of India with a visit to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, where?

This was posted on theregister.co.uk but our government doesn't officially recognise any such place as "Myanmar". Are you by any chance referring to Burma?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7013943.stm

Silver badge

I'm no economist, but getting in early as closed markets open up can usually lead to huge profits. I'm not shocked google is doing this. It would be assured market domination and judging by how Vietnam's economy exploded when it opened up theres plenty of money to be made.

As for Burma vs Myanmar, as much as their leaders are cocks of the highest order, it is rather up to them what they are called. It's probably less useful to make an issue of it if they are taking steps towards being a sane democracy (albeit small steps). Do we still refer to Zim as Rhodesia because Mugabe is a raving loon? The UN and many countries refer to it by Myanmar.

Anonymous Coward

I'm no economist, but getting in early as closed markets open up can usually lead to huge profits

Yes, but there are usually reasons why the nation is isolated in the first place. Why can Google waltz in there when other companies are not allowed? Aren't there such trivial things as embargoes involved? You know, "thy shall not enter unless the place respects, for instance, human rights"?

Ah, I forgot. Neither does Google with the right to privacy.

OK, carry on then.

Thanks to a previous commentard, this bears repeating. Just because we can.

Silver badge

But China got an olympics. I agree with the principal of embargoes etc but the questions is when do you lift them and do they cover internet services. Do you allow some interaction back as a 'reward' for small steps towards behaving?

I'm not saying google is right but rather it doesn't shock me they are doing it.

MJI
Silver badge

Never heard of the place

See title

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums