back to article Hoboken CTO admits bugging boss for political leverage

The IT boss for the city of Hoboken, New Jersey – one of New York's closest and most underrated neighbors – is facing 15 years in the Big House after pleading guilty to harvesting the emails of the mayor and her staff to inform their political rivals. In 2009, Peter J. Cammarano III was elected major of Hoboken, beating his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Hoboken has other attributes as well.

Frank Sinatra hails from there, and there is this bakery that stars in a reality TV show as well.

Me? Silicon valley, born and raised! Pacific time zone!

Silver badge
Meh

Underrated?

Other than Stevens (which is fantastic) Hoboken is a sleazy shithole whose most underrated qualities are the quantities of hobos (hobo is in the name so I guess we should have seen that coming) and meth. Nobody ever talks about the meth problem in Hoboken.

I guess it isn't as bad as Newark or Trenton though, so that's a positive. They should put that on their brochures: "Visit Hoboken, we aren't as bad as Newark".

Silver badge

Re: Underrated?

As the classic movie says:

Why is New Jersey called "The Garden State"?

Because "Oil and Petrochemical Refinery State" wouldn't fit on a license plate?

Anonymous Coward

wikipedia

With an endorsement like that I'll be expecting to see Hobokken in Wikipedias famous "did you knows" any time soon.

I lived in Pavonia Newport for a year and spent most of my drinking time in Hoboken... Cheaper beer and real people rather than the wannabes in NYC. And I had a 20 minute commute to work on the PATH train. Loved the place.

Silver badge
Devil

How the PFY would have done this

Just archive all the emails on the server "for backup and recovery" and leave an FTP backdoor to the archive accessible from outside the firewall.

Data protection issues aside - he deserves the time simply for stupidity.

Gold badge
Meh

Home town of Frank Sinatra

IIRC some politician was offered a Senatorship and turned it down. He said "I can make more money being the Mayor of Hoboken."

Why not just rename it RICO Town?

Silver badge

Re: might be thinking this is another case of Republicans and Democrats

No I wouldn't. I would assume it was probably another Dem on Dem incident. Because the truth is, they're the ones who do most of it. Only lamestreamers cover it up when they can for Dems and make it headlines for Republicans, even when it turns out the perp isn't a Republican. And when they can't, they make snide remarks to at least perpetuate the myth that both sides engage in it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums