Feeds

back to article Space probe spies MYSTERY 'Cold Spot' in very fabric of cosmos itself

Top international boffins poring over a newly-produced sky map of the microwaves released when the entire universe exploded into being out of soup have confessed themselves baffled by a mysterious "cold spot" on the chart whose existence today's science cannot explain. MYSTERY of the cosmic soup blast shine cold spot enigma …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Cold spot?

Cold spot?

That'll be the weather system currently working it's way over the UK and Ireland, heralding the start of spring.

Silver badge
Coat

The cold spots...

...could indicate a festival of Vogon poetry...

Silver badge

Re: The cold spots...

Love poetry, the finest in the Universe.

Silver badge
Coat

Could be worse, it could be the Azgoths of Kria

"Ode to a small lump of green putty I found under my left armpit one midsummer morning" anyone?

Silver badge

But what about Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings ... ?

Silver badge
Joke

Must be a crouton

What else could be floating in hot soup.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Must be a crouton

A rat dropping? Vide Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

Silver badge
Coat

Depends. If it's pea-soup (the Dutch way), it won't be so much floating in it as rather lying on top of it. And it won't be a crouton, but a slice of rookworst or a cube of bacon.

Thumb Up

Hmmm, Dutch pea-soup with rookworst and spek! Now you've made me hungry! And it would really go well with this nice English spring weather!

Silver badge
Coat

Alright now, so which is the cosmos?! Soup or fabric? I deman... Oh, you said Dutch pea-soup, well in that case I suppose both... Ok, all settled then. Carry on.

I didn't understand how the universe could "explode into being out of soup" anyway.

I was out of soup at the weekend but it happened non-violently. And how do we know how much soup the universe needs...

Bronze badge

"I didn't understand how the universe could "explode into being out of soup" anyway."

You have obviously never used a microwave to (over) heat your erte soup (Dutch pea & ham). Even if you haven't pea dashed the innards of the bing-box it can still go ballistic after removal when the steam bubbles finally overcome its viscosity.

Silver badge
Alien

Clearly an Eye in the Sky.

Related:

Get your fix in High-Resolution Simulation of the Universe in Exquisite Detail (DEUS-FUR: Dark Energy Universe Simulation - Full Universe Run) HERE and HERE.

Silver badge
Alien

The Planck Data Release is also being LIVE BLOGGED. Those modern scientists!

In particular, we find:

Finally, the emphasis on "anomalies" in the media conference and press release seems like headline-bait to me. By and large these were already known from the WMAP data, and are at large angular scales -- where Planck and WMAP should​ overlap with one another. Any dataset has anomalies and by stressing these, the ESA media-monkeys detract from the huge advance this dataset represents. Planck has provided us with a picture of the early universe with unprecedented clarity and precision, and every cosmologist in the world will have to do their job differently on the strength of it. Working out what it tells us may take years, but it is going to be fun.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Alien

The dishwashing universe!

More on this from Jester at Résonaances:

I was a bit surprised by how much emphasis in today's press conferences was put on the small glitches at low multipoles. It seems that Planck people are also a bit frustrated the fact that their results are nothing but a triumphant confirmation of old paradigms. Even at the LHC nobody would make a big deal of a 2.5 sigma anomaly, and in the present case we're in the area of astrophysics where errors are treated more loosely ;-) Moreover, according to Planck, the l=2 quadrupole mode of the fluctuation spectrum is aligned with the ecliptic, which suggests some unknown background or pesky systematics at large angular scales. Of course, many a theorist will come up with a beautiful explanation of the low multipole anomaly. But not because it's convincing, but because there's nothing else to ponder on...

In summary, the cosmological results from Planck are really impressive. We're looking into a pretty wide range of complex physical phenomena occurring billions of years ago. And, at the end of the day, we're getting a perfect description with a fairly simple model. If this is not a moment to cry out "science works bitches", nothing is. Particle physicists, however, can find little inspiration in the Planck results. For us, what Planck has observed is by no means an almost perfect universe... it's rather the most boring universe.

Silver badge

And even more dishwasing, doing the laundry etc...

What The Entire Universe Is Made Of, Thanks to Planck!

So yes to inflation, no to gravitational waves from it.

Yes to three very light, standard-model neutrinos, no to any extras.

Yes to a slightly slower-expanding, older Universe, no to spatial curvature.

Yes to more dark matter and normal matter, yes also to a little less dark energy.

And as far as anything bizarre goes? The fluctuations are still very, very much in agreement with what inflation and all known physics predicts, but there’s still that very bizarre alignment of the CMB on the largest angular scales with the plane of our Solar System, known as the axis-of-evil.

Silver badge

IF it's cold maybe there is just a load of ice there. Mystery solved.

Silver badge

no downvoter no. MYSTERY SOLVED.

Pint

"...there is just a load of ice there."

Yup, it's where the creators kept their cold ones.

Alien

The cosmic equivalent of a belly button perhaps?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Save some monsters for me, please. Downvote expected.

Excellent observations and well done chaps.

Alien

Best Available Theory

"So it would seem that the best available theory known to physics can't account for everything: situation pretty much normal for physics, then."

There we have it; proof positive that the alleged Big Bang is just somebody's idea of a joke. Good thing we got that sorted because it was looking for a while as if some people might actually believe that the Universe is older than 6,000 years.

My mind's at ease now. I think I'll go read a book.

Uneven expansion?

"As the Universe has expanded, this light today has been stretched out to microwave wavelengths, equivalent to a temperature of just 2.7 degrees above absolute zero."

Is the map showing us temperature variations in the early universe, which have now been scaled uniformly by the universe's expansion or is it showing us that the early universe had a uniform temperature, but has expanded unevenly?

Re: Uneven expansion?

Your first explanation.

Anonymous Coward

Is it just me...

...or is there a similar-sized warm spot a bit to the left?

Bronze badge

Universe formed from soup

I'd always imagined it as more of a lukewarm porridge. Possibly with a tough skin on top.

Anonymous Coward

Of course there's a cold spot. I'd bet if you carried out the same scan from the diametrically opposite position in the universe that the earth occupies, you'd see another cold spot diamentrically opposite that cold spot.

It'll be an imprint left on the very fabric of the universe from when God held up the source, (between finger and thumb) and created the big bang. His digits will have blocked some of the initial emissions, hence the cold spot(s).

That should keep the creationists happy :-)

Anonymous Coward

Finger and Thumb

Surely - noodley appendage.

Anonymous Coward

Show the Creationists that their own book and teachings says nothing of the sort. That's a better way to stump them. It says "created", it does not say what the tools used were!

Silver badge

Re: Finger and Thumb

Or - hand of the Bursar.

Bronze badge
Boffin

Soup, from the microwave?

It's really simple, the cold spot is in the middle of the bowl where the heat from the microwave energy penetrates last.. Someone took the universe out before it was ready and didn't stir it up much before trying to eat it.

Silver badge

Re: Soup, from the microwave?

I guess the enormous mutant star goat must have been really hungry...

Boffin

Cold spot in the soup

Eeew, that's nasty. Soup, except gazpacho, isn't supposed to be cold.

So, new task for the world's boffins: Find out the exact recipe! Utensils allowed: Two hadron colliders and a collection of supercomputers. That should keep us Reg readers entertained for a while longer.

Easy

God's left the fridge door open.

Silver badge

Cold?!

Its cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere,

I'm all alone, more or less.

Let me fly, far away from here,

Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun.

I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose,

Drinking fresh, mango juice,

Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes,

Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun,

Fun, fun, fun, In the sun, sun, sun.

Silver badge

CDMs all round ... for the Fruit and Nut cases*

Are there actually folk who believe any of that which you have just shared in that article, Lewis P? And does anyone actually care about any of it and think that any of it will make a difference about anything which arrives/happens after now and will shape and phorm every tomorrow?

What a complete and utter waste of time and effort in space to tell us of something imagined as being real before even anything was anywhere and there was nothing. And aint that the honest truth?

* Cadbury's Dairy Milk for those who are too young or too old to remember the chocolate ad campaign of some time ago

Silver badge
Pint

Here... the moment this spot was created.

http://prestontrailcc.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/creation-of-adam.jpg

Silver badge
Alien

Re: Here... the moment this spot was created.

What do you Lilim know about that? Nothing.

Study more Dead Sea Scrolls.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Here... the moment this spot was created.

Study the Scrolls? Meh - I was on the committee that wrote them.

Hey, how have you been?

Thumb Up

Absolute reference

I'm not a physicist, but these anomalies intrigue me.

Does this mean that the universe as a whole has an absolute reference frame for motion? Are we seeing special relativity breaking down or are we perhaps seeing an unexpected interaction of the microwaves with space in our part of the universe? Could the acceleration due to dark energy be non-uniform?

Silver badge

Re: Absolute reference

No. Neither. Not impossible, I suppose.

Happy

Fractal

Looks like a heat map of a planet, band of heat around the middle, cold bits at the poles, swirls in between.

Conclusion: universe is orbiting something bigger.

Silver badge

Re: Fractal

It could be a universe-sized Death Star, and we are INSIDE IT!

The emperor has gone too far.

Bronze badge

Re: Fractal

nope....

it is a map of the what is seen from the probe, about 1.5 million KM from the Earth... you need to read the article....

it is not looking at the stars, but the radiation all round , that is actually 13.82 billion light years away..

Go

Most logical course of action

Build an FTL ship and launch it directly at the cold spot. Collect data for several million years along the way. It's obviously a signal from before the Big Bang, because I heard about that on a documentary on the SyFy channel a couple of years ago. Robert Carlisle presented it, I believe.

Everyone's got it wrong...

The Universe is just an atom in an even bigger Universe which is, itself, an atom etc, etc.

Seriously though, the human brain can not comprehend the nature of The Universe and what is 'inside' and 'outside' it much in the way that an earthworm knows little about simple shopkeeping. Much as we try to come up with an answer, including supernatural beings, science 'fiction' and science 'fact'. I really don't think we will ever crack this one. There is a lot of time, but not enough!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.