back to article Nvidia stretches Tesla GPU coprocessors from HPC to big data

Graphics chip maker Nvidia has barely begun to put a dent in the traditional high performance computing segment with its Tesla GPU coprocessors and it is already gearing up to take on new markets. The next target is big data, and as with parallel supercomputing, Nvidia is hoping to get the jump on rivals Intel and AMD, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

Not sure why..

But I found the last example, the weather channel, the most impressive. Realtime encoding to every device sounds pretty impressive. Yet are they perhaps making it more difficult then it needs to be? It would seem that it would be more efficient to employ some cdn secret sauce. Make the cdn request a particular encoding if it was not already available locally so that you only have to encode once? Even if you were livestreaming it would seem like you could eliminate the redundant encoding jobs. I'm no expert mind you and I've no idea about the costs involved so maybe there is a financial reason. I'm just looking at it from a efficiency stand point.

Still cool to hear what can be done.

Bronze badge

Re: Not sure why..

Exactly what I was thinking. Impressive but profoundly stupid. Still if you have a hammer...

Mostly just hype

Nvidia has been on a marketing campaign lately looking for new revenue streams from servers. When you investigate the details you find their server designs have a lot of bottlenecks and aren't anywhere near as impressive as they'd like people to believe.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums