Feeds

back to article SwiftStack sucks up $6.1m, leaps through curtains with 'Amazon S3-in-a-box'

Software-defined storage upstart Swiftstack has been given a fresh cash injection of $6.1m and has spoken out on its software-as-a-service offering, Swift. Software defined storage (SDN) is akin to the fabless semiconductor firm concept, except that in this case the firms provide software instead of chip designs. With software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

Good on them!

Been using them this past year for our object storage needs, a very fine company to deal with indeed with a sensible pricing model which comes in at a fraction of the cost of their competition.

Meh

Not good enough though

So have I, but I can't see that there's enough value in what is in essence a control panel for open source swift.

Swift isn't that hard to set up and manage once you have done it a few times to get a hang of how the parts fit together.

The SwiftStack graphs are nice to look at and they make the install easy, but being as you don't get your ring builder files or know how SS have defined your storage, you could find yourself locked in by the time you have decided that the ongoing costs have mounted up a bit and your knowledge of the stack has reached a stage where you can manage it yourself. 100TB isn't that much space, but $1000 a month without support for a control panel that doesn't even email you if some thing's wrong?

Bronze badge

History repeating itself?

I seem to remember the whole purpose of RAID and then SANs was the ability to use commodity storage devices and get good reliability out of them. However, over time companies decided that these thinks worked even better when populated with quality components.

Anonymous Coward

Re: History repeating itself?

RAID doesn't work well with large drives, however three copies of your data on different spindles does, even when they're cheap SATA ones.

AFAIK, SANs never were built on commodity drives, they were SCSI or FC, only later when storage needs grew did industry start using SATA drives for bulk storage.

This topic is closed for new posts.