back to article Redmond to skip Patch Tuesday for Windows Store apps

Microsoft has announced that it will ship fixes and updates for the Windows Store apps that come bundled with Windows 8 and Windows RT as soon as they are available, rather than issuing them in batches as it does for the rest of Windows. "We are committed to adapting our policies as the world evolves and with the new Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rafael L

So what? Windows Store still don't update them automatically, only the automatic download is allowed. :(

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      WTF?

So what, indeed...

So, almost as good as most linux distros then, who release updates to all repository software A.S.A.P.

It's a start, I suppose.

Now. About those re-boots...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Re: So what, indeed...

Except when they don't

2. phuzz Silver badge
        Alert

Re: So what, indeed...

They're getting better with the reboots. Admittedly there's always at least one update every month that requires a reboot, but it's not every single update now.

At this rate they should have caught up to your average Linux distro by, I dunno, 2020?

2. Big-nosed Pengie

Good to see them finally learning something from Linux.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How to update something in an appropriate manner for consumers, not enterprises you mean?

1. Skoorb

Exactly. I'm worried these may be 'forced' updates as well, that some companies (like Google) push out, where it is impossible to either stop an update, or to continuing to use the product until you update - this is not a good thing in a controlled business environment.

Saying that, dealing with security updates without a release cycle is perfectly doable in an organisation, as long as you get some form of advance warning; simply spewing out 50 critical security updates without anyone expecting it is PITA to push through change control.

3. Magani
    Happy

Better or different?

"...because the Windows Store programming model is inherently better than what has come before.".

Attention Microsoft: To prevent terminal hubris, how about replacing the word 'better' with 'different'.

In some 30+ years of associating with IT, I've yet to find a 'programming model' that was immune from bugs. As any coding fuul kno, programming is the act of inserting bugs into code.

1. jm1222

Re: Better or different?

"...because the Windows Store programming model is inherently better than what has come before.".

Obviously hasn't written any Windows Store Apps yet then

4. Mikel
    Windows

Simplify

For the next iteration rather than continuous app patches the device will just boot from their cloud so you can get the whole experience streamed and they can update everything continuously. They're calling it "aluminum".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simplify

You mean Aluminium?

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Simplify

Microsoft is an American company, hence American spelling.

5. Avatar of They
    Coat

"Skipping patch tuesday on the app store"

Because there is so few of them and so little end users that they don't consider anyone to have bothered to hack them yet?

Yeah I know... already putting it on.

6. The Real Tony Smith
    Linux

Hang on.......

"The Windows Store introduces a model in which regular updates are a normal part of using software"

I'll just correct that for you......

"The Windows Store copies the Linux model in which regular updates are a normal part of using software"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang on.......

Windows updates used to be fired out when they were ready, but MS' business customers said that they would far rather have all updates on a regular predictable basis, hence Patch Tuesday. So, actually MS chose to move away from the patch model used by linux distros to one which suited their customers more than it suited them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hang on.......

i.e. a regular patch cycle is an enterprise approach. A random patch cycle isn't....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like