Feeds

back to article Photonic router vendor exits stealth-mode, sparks hypegasm

Without the obligatory hype from the "every great business starts with venture capital" press, it is an interesting proposition: that turning integrated electro-optical chips into the basis of a router yields a faster device that's smaller, uses less power, and generates less heat. That's what's being claimed by US-Israeli …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Mushroom

Simpsons Did It

Chiaro Networks built this ten years ago. They had a petabit-class all-optical router actually working in the field in 2003. Problem was, no one needed anything that powerful back then. Too early to the market, run out of cash, dead.

Re: Simpsons Did It

Not quite - I think it was an optical switch - just switched wavelengths between different directions, no packet switching. I saw the prototype, a monster of a device. Chi-Ro (?) was bought by Nortel, who then crashed in 2009, but similar functionality now available as a small ROADM module from many vendors.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Patent!

Wow, a real patent for a real innovation! These days they're as rare as a non-European pope.

What? Oh!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Looks at watch...

I wonder how long before we see Chinese made knock offs once Compass-EOS gets their factory in China producing the equipment for them. Sounds like awesome technology though, I wish them the all the best with this!

Bronze badge
Megaphone

Re: Looks at watch...

Chances are the Chinese have already stolen the design using industrial espionage, and are cranking out illegal knock offs already.

This topic is closed for new posts.