Feeds

back to article Mozilla to Apple: we don't care about iOS

Firefox won't land on Apple's iOS until the fruity company relaxes its rules about third party browsers, according to Jay Sullivan, vice president of product at Mozilla. Sullivan spoke on a panel at the SXSW music-and-tech-fest in Austin, Texas, over the weekend, and told the crowd Apple's refusal to allow the installation of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

That's ok, we don't want your browser.

Safari works perfectly fine on iOS.

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: That's ok, we don't want your browser.

It's always amazing to me to see the huge number of apps I use routinely that are not available on iOS.

What the fanboys won't tell you is that most of them are using Splashtop and Parallels to run their Windows apps on their iPads and Macs. They haven't really left Microsoft behind at all.

Bronze badge
Meh

Re: That's ok, we don't want your browser.

@Andy Prough

Perhaps most fanbois don't really need Microsoft. I run Debian and several Windows instances in Parallels on a couple of Macs. On these machines, I use Windows about once a fortnight for a few minutes to help maintain shrink wrapped (Windows) versions of software that I wrote. I find that OS X and Debian cover all of my needs, and that I don't use Windows for any other purpose.

Admittedly I have retired and am now spared the festering frustration that is SharePoint, Exchanges, Windows Server and Office - Although I do volunteer to maintain some Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 and 8 machines at a Council run over-50s centre (1200+ members), and am profoundly grateful that I no longer have to do this sort of thing for a crust...

Silver badge

@Andy

Wait, what? You're surprised that Windows apps are not available for iOS? I assume you meant OS X? Because I'm not seeing a great clamor for people to run Quickbooks or Turbotax on their phone or tablet, whether it runs iOS, Android or WP8. There aren't any more Windows apps available on Android than on iOS, and aside from Office and other MS apps, I really doubt the situation is any better on WP8.

Setting aside your point about iOS and Splashtop, since there are more iPhone owners who don't own a Mac than do, I don't see why OS X owners booting Windows to run a few apps is a problem. They've left Windows behind as much as they can, but are currently unable to leave it behind entirely. You seem to see that a victory for Microsoft, but it is more likely a temporary situation they'll remedy over time.

If you own Office on Windows 7 and later buy a Mac, maybe you don't want to pay for it again on OS X? But if/when you ever decide to upgrade it, you might buy it on OS X next time, or decide that the not-quite-100% compatibility offered by iWork or LibreOffice is "good enough". I have an iPhone and run a Linux desktop, but my laptop dual boots Windows 7. Mostly I just boot it for iTunes (oh, the irony) I used to use Office on Windows often but LibreOffice is so good now it doesn't matter anymore. I have an old copy of Office that I didn't even bother to install on Windows 7 because I haven't had any reason to do so yet.

WTF?

wtf ?

16 downvotes for this ? Is it that you really want Firefox, or you don't believe Safari works fine or wot ?

Silver badge

Re: wtf ?

I reckon it's a little from column A, a little from column B, and some from column C, headed "no-one likes a fanboy smart-ass".

Safari works "fine". Firefox and Chrome would work better, so they're banned. If you're OK with that, enjoy your iOS device.

FAIL

I have an iPhone and a brand new Nexus 7 with the new Chrome. Chrome is crap. Viewport tiny on 1280 x 800 screen, tabs permanently in place, URL bar too, no full screen mode.

I use Dolphin on the Nexus - 10x better than Chrome.

Silver badge

Re: @Andy

Don't overthink it - I was talking about lack of iOS apps like alternate keyboards, of which my Android device has about 50 billion different ones I could download if I wanted.

>"my laptop dual boots Windows 7. Mostly I just boot it for iTunes (oh, the irony)"

I think you just made my point for me. Meantime, I can interact with the Google Play music manager or the Amazon mp3 cloud on practically any device.

Anonymous Coward

Christ on a crutch .. so much emotional investment in a damn phone .. may I humbly suggest that some of you really and truly need to get a life ..

Bronze badge
Devil

Maybe the EU will work it all out...

And threaten to fine the cr@p out of Apple - like they did Microsoft over the browser issue! Fair is fair! Right? ]:)

Anonymous Coward

Did you ever read the article? Chrome isn't banned, it already has an iOS port. They just can't use V8, only JavaScriptCore. They already use Webkit anyways, so that's the same.

Firefox is also not banned, they just refuse to port because they want to use Gecko.

Silver badge

Did you ever read the article? Chrome isn't banned, it already has an iOS port. They just can't use V8, only JavaScriptCore. They already use Webkit anyways, so that's the same.

Firefox is also not banned, they just refuse to port because they want to use Gecko.

Oh I do apologise - theyre only banned from using their own rendering engine. Not a big deal at all, forcing them to be a deliberately slower re-skin of Safari. Nnnnnope. Nothing wrong with that. How could anyone cry foul?

And if you think all versions of Webkit are created equal, you're wrong.

By the way, I did know all that, but 'as far as I'm concerned Safari re-skins don't count as separate browsers, so the real, full-fat versions of Chrome and Firefox are indeed banned from iOS, no?

LDS
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Maybe the EU will work it all out...

No, EU parliament members are too busy to surf the web on iPads paid by taxpayers to care about it.

Anonymous Coward

"Firefox and Chrome would work better..." [citation needed]

Also will Mozilla allow webkit based browsers on their mobile OS? Didn't think so...

Bronze badge

@William Donelson Re: wtf ?

I also use Dolphin my android tablet.

It is faster and a bit more stable in my opinion.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

And there's "column D": we like to see competition.

If Safari is the best, then it'll have no trouble out-competing rival browsers. And even if you prefer Safari, you must realise it's good to have other developers snapping at Apple's heels.

Mushroom

Its a OS built in HTML5....hardly a fair comparison?

More likely than the other way around I'll wager...

FAIL

Hardly a fair comparison? Why? Surely what is good for the goose and all that? Mozilla need to put up or shut up. Frankly, I'd prefer the later until they are actually shipping devices.

Re: @William Donelson wtf ?

I've been very disappointed with the last few versions of Dolphin. It seems more unstable since Flash support was removed. Currently using Firefox, but would go back to Dolphin in a moment if they sort out the stability problems.

Anonymous Coward

So no then? Fucking hypocrites...

Silver badge

Hardly a fair comparison? Why?

iOS is a traditional operating system, and Safari runs on top of it. Gecko *could* run on it, but Apple won't let them.

B2G / Firefox OS is Firefox. The actual base of the OS you develop on is Gecko. Everything is rendered by it. It's like asking why you can't run Safari inside Firefox on the desktop.

So, yeah. That's why.

Thumb Down

Re: wtf ? @Greg.

Nah-a. Let's keep those goal posts static. If Mozilla wanna play this game, they have to let other engines on. After all Gecko is sat on top of a Linux kernel, therefore it could run a webkit browser.

Pint

Is this a bit strange

That Apple can dictate this and Micro$haft gets a half billion euro fine for doing effectively the same thing on Windows. EU are missing a possible income stream here

Bronze badge

Re: Is this a bit strange

Yup!

Well, except that Apple has never been shown to be using an effective monopoly on desktop operating systems to kill off competing Web browser companies, by pressuring computer manufacturers not to ship alternative browsers.

Other than that, it's completely analogous.

iOS is not monopoly, if it were Apple would be facing fines in the US of A as well.

LDS
Silver badge
Devil

Apple has the same monopoly on tablets, and Cook often says it himself - what better proof? Thereby why EU keeps on fining MS which no longer has any monopoly in the browser market is really beyond understanding. Moreover while Windows came with IE preinstalled, *it never forbade to install another one*. While Apple does that exactly, and EU doesn't complain - it's really strange....

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

You are, however, forgetting that Apple will be elected to the role of Pope this week.

JDX
Gold badge

Apple has the same monopoly on tablets

Really? El Reg readers are always super keen to point out this isn't the case, and that the fact everybody you know uses iPad is just a bad sample based on you being a hipster knob with other hipster knob friends.

Silver badge

> iOS is not monopoly, if it were Apple would be facing fines in the US of A as well.

Only if they are found to be abusing their monopoly position.

That was what Microsoft was accused of, not being a monopoly per se.

WTF?

oh holy jesus !!!

just when Anna departs and I start looking forward to some fresh writing , now we have this eejit start using the same old, same old, same old, tired and used-to-death line of "fruity company"

I got this one.

Let me explain

See, Apple is the name of the company that produces iOS but it's also the name of a fruit.

Now pay attention as this is where it gets a bit botanical or what have you.

The thing about your basic apple (the fruit) is that it has a quality that could be described as "fruity" and the thing about Apple corp, your basic Apple corp thing, is that it's named after said, fruity fruit. So the writer of this article decided - and I hope you are prepared for this humdinger of a pun realization - to use the term to describe Apple.

I hope I have been able to put your mind at ease by explaining this clearly enough. If you need further assistance the El Reg news desk may be willing to borrow Anna on a consultancy basis so she may try her hand at explaining.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: I got this one.

I hope we can fall back to "Foxconn rebadger".

Bronze badge
Coat

@Destroy All Monsters

"I hope we can fall back to "Foxconn rebadger"."

Yes, but ( according to Wikipedia), that could be:-

Acer Inc. (Taiwan); Amazon.com (United States); **Apple Inc. (United States)**; Cisco (United States); Dell (United States); Google (United States); Hewlett-Packard (United States); Microsoft (United States); Motorola Mobility (United States); Nintendo (Japan); Nokia (Finland); Sony (Japan); Toshiba (Japan); or Vizio (United States)

Bronze badge
Devil

Is she good looking? I'd like to try her hand too! }:)

Anonymous Coward

While we're here

I get 'fruity company' and I get 'chocolate factory' but what's the acceptable put down for Samsung ?

Silver badge

@Nicho Re: While we're here

Smugsam? Snugsam? (I know, I'm not making a real effort.)

Re: While we're here

Samesung

Anonymous Coward

@Nicho

I occasionally pop over to the Mac Daily News website to remind myself what true, unrestrained mac zealotry (bordering on a mental disorder) looks like. They always shove tons of 'trash talk' names in article tags and based on article comments the term you are looking for is "Samdung". High brow wit, as I am sure you will agree.

samesong

Samdung

It isn't only MacTards. It is healthy for consumers interested in competition to mock Samdung ($amdung) or ¢rApp£€) who both manage to produce mediocre products but take a disproportionate share of profits.

Black Helicopters

@GBL Initialiser

no explanation needed, I get the reference... my issue is that when you use it 100,000 times, article after article, it gets kinda boring.

It would be great to have writers with just a *tiny* bit more creativity in their slags.

it used never be this bad, there was a time, sniff sniff, i miss those days... witty writers, great one liners, titles WITHOUT random words capitalised...

Bronze badge

"I hope we can fall back to "Foxconn rebadger"."

Yes, but ( according to Wikipedia), that could be:- [nearly anyone]

That's why the only acceptable, precise alternative is "fruity Foxconn rebadger". That should make the OP happy.

("Your Honor, I object! Counsel is rebadgering the witness.")

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

"fruity fox con rebadger?"

Opportunity to attack apple

Many people who read this web site have tendencies towards open source and although a little distorted sometimes, overall a sense of fairness - hence stories like this being popular.

I think it is very interesting to view Apple with their almost anti-opensouce approach and from a tech and a business point of view how Apple are managing with so much self censorship of other technologies.

Sure we can all manage without flash, but now we can't have adblock (because it runs a local proxy) ... oh and here goes firefox ... I already gave up trying to watch movies and tv shows on my ipad because I dont have the time or disk space to re-encode everything for iTunes.

Apple are just the grumpy rich kid in the playground who only lets you play with his power rangers if you promise not to like smelly steve balmer....

Re: Opportunity to attack apple

If you're wanting to just drop files onto your ipad try iFiles. Works great most of the time.

If you want to stream from a network share, try Air Video Server (which works brilliantly) or one of many others.

If you want to stream from a DLNA share try iMediaShare.

Lots to chose from, and the iMediashare thing works from android too.

Thumb Up

Way to go Mozilla

I'm glad to see Mozilla sticking up in the face of Apple.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.