work isn't "good ideas"
Marissa claimed in an interview they'd checked VPN logins and some were not logging in "often enough". What is enough? a VPN login is good for 24 hours.
Then the solution would be to check up what those individuals were doing, and get rid of the slackers. Yahoo has dozens of people working from home full-time, because they're in cities where Yahoo has no offices. They allow 24/7 coverage for certain things, as there is always someone on duty. Others take a "home day" when they have virtual meetings coming up with others in another time zone....... so what if they then spend the morning shopping? they will be awake at an online meeting at 3 am.
She is busy alienating everyone in the name of of "team building".
1) she announced free food for 2 offices, leaving everyone else feeling left out. The scheme was expanded to other places only after strong protests.
2) the free food is not available for part time workers and contractors, making them into second-class citizens
3) the food scheme was a slap in the face for people who'd just had important but small/cheap projects axed as a cost-saving measure
4) contractors are expected to contribute to their department's goal-setting but are excluded from seeing departmental goals as they are "not employees"
5) many work-from-home jobs are not about innovation or good ideas or collaborative work......... answering emails, fixing account access problems, writing code to alter existing projects, upgrading software, analysing data and writing reports........these do not need innovation, these need concentration uninterrupted by the noises of other people in the next cube or in the corridor.
So she doesn't even know what work many of her people are doing, or what's involved. No amount of chatting at the water cooler gets anything PRODUCTIVE done.
If the workers have any sense, they'll refuse to do ANY work from home. Leave the iPhone at work, don't answer it. She doesn't want you working from home? don't work from home. Walk out at 5 pm and be unreachable.