back to article Open Virtualisation Format 2.0 lands, world+dog yawns

Anyone contemplating a move to the cloud has, by now, paused for a moment to wonder how to escape from their chosen provider of numinous computing. They've done so because shunting a virtual machine (VM) and its workloads into the cloud may seem like a fine idea today, but there are any number of reasons one may wish to place it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

SOBERING

"They've done so because shunting a virtual machine (VM) and its workloads into the cloud may seem like a fine idea today, but there are any number of reasons one may wish to place it elsewhere in future. A few come easily to mind: your cloud provider could go titsup or become unacceptably unreliable; you may want to bring the workload back home on a matter to meet a particular need; another cloud could offer better prices, or; you might like the idea of moving the VM for disaster recovery or follow-the-moon."

The word that most comes to mind for me regarding this article is--- its SOBERING.

Silver badge

Numinous computing?

nu·mi·nous (adj): Having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity.

Are you thinking of nebulous, perchance?

Angel

Re: Numinous computing?

>>nu·mi·nous (adj): Having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity.

Well, if you're hosting your VMs with Amazon or Azure (or the clowns that we use, who I shan't be naming) you better hope there's someone watching over them.

Silver badge
Angel

Apple's iCloud offers numinous computing.

Silver badge
Angel

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT!

Anonymous Coward

Curious: has anyone out there actually got OVA/OVF 1.x to work?

I tried to get VMware-sourced appliances onto Ora-VBox. The latter bounced the resulting appliance every time, complaining about checksum errors etc. Since each try takes like 8 hours, I didn't try many.

Bronze badge

Interest from Enterprise

It would be interesting to know who in the Enterprise Gartner questioned. In some respects I would expect it to be something that Enterprise Infrastructure Architects would automatically specify and use without really involving senior management in the decision making.

Silver badge
Meh

Re: Interest from Enterprise

Gartner asked whoever would give them the answers they needed to make the report acceptable to whomever commissioned it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums