back to article Violin Memory fires PCIe server card salvoes at rival Fusion-io

Flash storage array shipper Violin Memory is bringing out a Velocity line of PCIe server flash cards and strengthening its relationship with investor Toshiba, which owns NAND chip fabs. Violin Memory ships 3000 and 6000 models of its networked all-flash array technology. They can have PCIe connections but the array's primary …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

Violin is conceding FusionIO was right in their market approach? Makes you wonder whose going to be next and surrender their pure appliance play to server deployed.

1. bigdata
      Thumb Up

Re: Really?

Both SAN and NAS are needed to speed up data.

Violin started with PCIe years ago but decided to build on array opportunities first. With SAN PCIe, Violin offers the full spectrum in enterprise storage.

2. Lost In Clouds of Data
    Childcatcher

Just managed to convince my lot to get me 8TB of FusionIO

And I'm outdated already... Dammit.

What's a DBA to do these days?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do violin boxes do any data management yet ? Snapshots, clones, replication? Bueller?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Um... Yes

Yes violin arrays offer Data Management features today

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Um... Yes

Sorry, but storing data on a non-volatile medium doesn't count. What about snapshots, dedupe, compression, replication? That's what the OG AC was asking.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

erm..

DRAM on FLASH... Sounds like an SSD on a PCI card = FAIL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: erm..

What does that mean? These PCIe cards are not SSDs. SSD and PCIe are form factors. DRAM and Flash are mediums.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TMS?

Violin and FusionIO are both relative new comers. Texas Memory Systems, recently acquired by IBM, is the originator of all this tech with their RamSan products. PCIe, MLC or SLC, full PCIe SAN arrays with all of the SAN functionality and so forth. This has all been around for about 30 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like