Feeds

back to article Tech bazaar Aria puts £10K bounty on heads of DDoS varmints

Manchester-based reseller Aria PC is offering a £10,000 bounty for information leading to the conviction of miscreants who hit its websites with a sustained denial-of-service attack this week. In a forum post, Aria said it had already reported packet-flooding assaults against its main site and forum to the police, but wanted to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Apparently the police have asked them to remove the thread. Pity, I wanted to get some packet logs and collect on that.

Silver badge
Trollface

Under what authority?

Problem, Officer?

B-D

Any armchair slueth will tell you

That all a bounty achieves is bringing all the kooks, cranks and phoneys out for a quick buck, thus hampering the real investigation.

Holmes

Re: Any armchair slueth will tell you

Not to mention making the poeple doing the DDoS (if its a griefer/financial ransom) more likely to continue.

Shame as Aria have always been good to buy from for me.

Silver badge

Re: Any armchair slueth will tell you

> the real investigation

AS IF!

Holmes

I don't suppose...

Anyone considered explaining *why* Aria is being attacked?

I assume it's a disgruntled employee or customer, but who knows?

Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't suppose...

I'd bet it's a disgruntled customer (or maybe a business rival). I find it unlikely that an employee is going to spend money on renting a botnet to attack them constantly.

B-D

My bet is on a forum member who has been permabanned.

Bronze badge

I am betting...

on a forum employee upsetting someone.

They have one MOD in particular who is a complete ass, he insinuated my wife was a prostitute, which is why I dont buy from Aria any more.

I await his arrival on this thread, as he has turned up on other forums I subscribe to, trying to trash what I say.

Silver badge
FAIL

Oh So Generous!

10k doesn't even buy a car these days.

Black hats make that in 5 minutes.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh So Generous!

You mean to say that you would turn it down £10K is still nearly a years pay to most of us plebs.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Oh So Generous!

I mean to say the for anyone to whom 10k is a lot money (that includes me) they won't be in the same social circles as the hackers.

Script kiddies are poor. Hackers make money.

Anonymous Coward

Turning the tables

This could put some crims in prison for a long time. It only takes one person to take the bait. Then the shitze will hit the fan.

This topic is closed for new posts.