Supercomputer and dense-pack server maker Silicon Graphics has rejiggered its credit facility with Wells Fargo Capital Finance ahead of a possible sale of intellectual property or other assets. In an 8K filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, SGI said that it had amended its credit agreement with Wells Fargo, …
Why would you buy SGI's UV2K versus say a cluster of Dell R720s or HP DL980s?
Admittedly SGI's big iron box can do a lot more compute in one single server, but for IT shops is this going to be enough to move away from scale-out Dell boxes or even the large-ish DL980s?
In today's virtualization era, would it make sense to deploy a single scale-up server and then sub-divide it for virtualization needs? Will virtualization be as effective on the large scale-up servers as it would on smaller servers. Management would be simple since you have 1 physical host, but it doesn't seem like the cost / benefit would be there.
Would love to hear from some of the vendors. Apart from large databases and HPC, are the large SMP/NUMA boxes going the way of the Concorde for general purpose IT?
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM