Feeds

back to article Mobile tech bods beg devs: C'mon, where's that KILLER app?

The overriding theme among technologies being showcased at Mobile World Congress this year was their reliance on you lot - developers young and old - to create the killer applications they need to achieve commercial success. Take Plantronics, a perfectly respectable manufacturer of headsets and other phone accessories, which now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Could be...

a half decent alternative to RFID tags in the right circumstances. Especially as they can be used without having to add any extra hardware to the smartphone

Re: Could be...

RFID/NFC vcards embedded into paper sheets for business cards and other printed materials. Very suprised it's not been done yet. I suggested this to some paper mills a few years ago t seeing as they were losing loads of money because no one wanted paper any more.

$50 per card is a bit too much though. get it down to less than 30c a card and you could make a decent profit. Alas I'm in no position to persue any good ideas I might have. You need money to make money.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

How about....

... commercial success for the developers themselves?

Silver badge

App suggestions

Family tracker

Elderly person walkie-talkie mode (private chat, private VOIP, always on)

Children's internet monitoring - a list of pages visited from some other computer updating on your phone in the background. An alert if they visit somewhere non-whitelisted they have never been before

Family recepies - collaborative recipie book built up by members of a small family network.

I've just realised I've invented 'facebook for families'. How about a private FB/twitter/IRC/chat network?

Bronze badge
Go

Re: App suggestions

"Elderly person walkie-talkie mode (private chat, private VOIP, always on)"

This already exists, it's called "push-to-talk."

Silver badge
Devil

How about

The cat vid/message/phone call app that combines all 3 activities into 1 easily controlled app

Lets face it... that all that ever gets used on 99.9% of smart phones

Silver badge

Killer App

How about the one that let's you have voice, text, and video communications instantaneously with anyone in the world. How about an app that lets you access the Internet from anywhere?

Oh yeah. Somebody already did that. Phones/mobile devices do enough already. If they want to impress increase the battery life by several orders of magnitude and make it even slightly resilient to being dropped or getting wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA6QmcTcuzY

This topic is closed for new posts.