back to article Apprenda adds Java to its .Net PaaS

Platform-as-a-service (PaaS) provider Apprenda has come up with a way to morph single-tenant Java applications into multi-tenant hydras without developers having to do much legwork. The company announced on Wednesday it had added Java support to its previously .Net-only PaaS. Apprenda's technology abstracts the IT runtime …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Windows

Re: Logical thing to do

Both .NET & JVM are based on an p-machine architecture. When Java arrived, the only companies actively promoting p-code was smalltalk vendors & Microsoft. MS Basic, Pascal, Fortran & COBOL all supported p-code/VM for 15 years before Java arrived (originally for porting minicomputer code to PCs while avoiding the x86 64k limit). Sure C# is like Java, but it’s also like C++.

The MS mistake with.NET was trying to compile C++ to p-code without slugging performance.. Herb Sutter just couldn’t make the C++ compiler fast enough to satisfy office testers and 32/64 bit threw a curve-ball at mixed-mode assemblies.

.NET is not any more “dead” than Java, which is also struggling to change to the {massively-parallel ; big memory; low power} world.. if the world does go ECMAScript/Python/CUDA, the only difference between C# & Java will be: ones an ISO standard

FAIL

Re: Logical thing to do

@Eadon, you are vastly uninformed when it comes to .Net

As the other post suggests, .Net is anything other than dead. One striking clue to this fact would be the number of .Net dev jobs there are compared to Java. They are roughly equal and have been for some time.

So, you are either very incorrect (my guess) or both languages are dying.

Which do you think the correct answer is?

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Devil

@Eadon

You should really consider contacting Microsoft to tell them that they need to revise their Windows 8 development guide (link to MSDN page), because according to your story it seems they got it all wrong.

On that page they claim that:

"With Windows 8, you can leverage your existing skills and code assets to create Windows Store apps for your customers.

* Web developers can use their HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript skills, as well as their experience with third-party JavaScript libraries.

* Microsoft .NET Framework and Silverlight developers can use their XAML, C#, and Visual Basic skills.

* Developers looking for maximum performance for their games and other graphics-intensive apps can use the power of Microsoft DirectX 11."

Not only do they claim that you can use .NET for Windows 8 development, they also seem to mistakenly mention C#, VB and XAML skills instead of calling it "Java skills".

We're lucky to have smartz pplz like you around I guess ;-)

This post has been deleted by its author

Paris Hilton

Eadon, a number of points;

firstly, dont you mean that C++ and Linux go hand in glove as opposed to Java? Or have I misread the fairly sublime relationship the two share?

Where is VB6? Where it always has been, getting in the way of migrating to a newer system.

Portable applications on tablets and phones? Well, yes, thats something that .Net does, and does fairly well. You have noticed Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone and Windows 8 RT? I am sure you must have. Whether you happen to like these platforms or not, people will spend months writing applications for them just to annoy you.

Oh, and one final point, real stock exchanges tend to use what ever language seems appropriate. I can think of one in London that has an extremely heavy emphasis on C++. Or they were just pretending to use it...

Re: @rafayal

Sometimes, I dont even know why I bother replying to you. I dont think you live in the real world.

It doesnt matter what you personally think about Microsoft's tablets and phones, people do and will make applications for them using .Net, and do you honestly think all those VB.NET and c# devs hired into do the work on those apps will use anything but the tools and languages they know? And, why would MS want a JVM running on their ecosystem anyway?

Lets get back to Android for a second, you do realise that this OS is written in C, dont you? You also realise that the applications written for it wouldnt be considered ubiquitous Java?

To say that Java running on Linux is faster is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever heard - have you ever worked in an environment where software written in Java is just assumed to "work faster"? Have you ever had to sit through implementation sessions going over performance tests and their results to see which runs faster where and why? By your comments, I find it hard to believe you have.

VB 6 is still as much a pain in the ass as it has ever been, there are still legions of VB6 contract devs out there all working slavishly away either maintaining code that people are too scared to dump, or migrating it over to VB.Net - yes, there are places that chose to start over, quite a lot in fact. I would posture that probably 60% of those who made that choice went over to Java, the rest to c#.

To close, I worked at the LSE as a subcontractor for a consultancy brought in to sort out the problems that they were having with TradElect, my job there was to answer some questions surrounding the use of Haskell and (you are going to have a fit over this) f#. The custom version of Linux that the LSE uses barely touches Java. This was in 2009/10.

I know you like to use the LSE debacle as your soapbox, and well you should. It was the best example of why people shouldnt use outdated tech to run globally important businesses, you did know TradElect ran on Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2000 at the end of 2008, didnt you?

You are in danger of being lumped into the same box as AmanFromMars if you keep up this strange, ultra-zealous Linux (and now Java, oddly) angle. Maybe you should take some time to learn about the things you hate before you try to take them apart, you may change your opinions.

bless, looks to me that pointing out fact as opposed to hyperbole isnt well received by some.

Oh well

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums