back to article Delving deep into Microsoft's 'Cloud OS'

Microsoft claims that Windows Server 2012 is the "Cloud OS", but is that a serious statement or just marketing hype? We know that thousands of you who are Windows Server users are planning to migrate to private cloud in 2013, so the answer matters as much to you as it does to us. Join The Reg's Tim Phillips for a live discussion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Buzzwords

Isn’t the cloud just your data center run by somebody else. Why would you want to put your intellectual property and valuable customer database in somebody else hand. It may be cheaper upfront but may cost you in the long run. In my opinion only really suited for projects such as Government information sites / Election campaigns or maybe the NHS information site.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Buzzwords

You can own and run your own cloud.

Anonymous Coward

Does Windows Server 2012 deliver on its promise?

Yes.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Buzzwords ... Novel Information Sets One Free. Secrets Enslave All .... except Secret Key Keepers?!.

A "Cloud" is an abstraction of a system that stores data in a way you don't have to worry about the technology. It's pretty useful for stuff you want to share with the world, e.g. photos .But, as you say, toxic if you have sensitive data you don't want the Chinese (or anyone else) to see. ... Eadon Posted Friday 22nd February 2013 09:54 GMT

Quite so, Eadon, that is all perfectly correct, and clouds can also be both at the same time, tremendously stormy and extremely sensitive and disruptive if there is toxic data you want the Chinese (or anyone else) to see, which is probably why there is all of the current headless chicken type panic from governments and departments and organisations which be using information and intelligence which has been compromised and discovered by anonymous independent parties to be catastrophically destructive to hosting and pimping entities in the traditional establishment/olde worlde status quo trying for a New World Order.

Silver badge

Re: Novel Information Sets One Free. Secrets Enslave All .... except Secret Key Keepers?!.

And that is probably why the system as is, is so intent on the Wikileaks model being persecuted and leading lights prosecuted?

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - Cloud in the context in which we're discussing it is Software Controlled Datacentre, rather than the context which you are using which is for "Cloud Service". In this context your datacentre runs a hypervisor and is able to move workloads around dynamically and has automated provisioning and scheduling.

Cloud is basically just a buzzword and is used too much, Software Controlled Datacentre is a really exciting development in IT, some of it may be in your own datacentre, some may be in a outsourcing datacentre. One of the really valuable things that you can do is move your systems to a DR site, really rather smoothly. which is ace.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Oh no, I have upvoted Eadon again ... what is the world coming to?

Anonymous Coward

@Philip Lewis: Go and sit in the corner and have a long hard think about what you've done.

Facepalm

Re: Windows can deliver clouds, but it takes a week to recover your data

Essentially MS make extremely shoddy software

MS don't make billions of dollars for nothing. Put that techie icon away; you've just abused it.

Anonymous Coward

Azure didnt crash last week. We have hundreds of systems moved there via App Controller - not a blip.

Anonymous Coward

I think he is referring to a brief SQL Reporting Outage in one Azure region in the USA (USA East)

SQL Reporting was down for a few hours, and there was zero consequential data loss. A few customers had to wait up to 4 days to get access to their data again. If customers cared about resilience / fault tolerance then they would likely have used 2 Azure regions anyway and would not have been affected.

Whilst that sucked, its still historically a much more reliable service than say Amazon provide.

Also as it is based on Hyper-V which benchmarks show is much faster and more efficient than any Linux based hypervisor, and therefore it gives better performance: http://virtualizationreview.com/blogs/the-schwartz-cloud-report/2013/02/azure-bests-amazon-in-storage-shootout.aspx

Silver badge

Eadon!

Hush now.

Facepalm

Well, it had enough quality that they've had 80%+ market share (maybe more or less from guessimates and quick reading online) through-out the 90s and still up to now (Win XP / 7 combined take roughly 80%). MS Office, Windows and anything Microsoft may not be the rolls royce of computing, but they delivered what the customer wanted and people bought into the license which in effect made it the standard (same way people compare every phone now to the iPhone). It was consistent and integratable (from desktop to server). Anyway, I didn't even mention the word "high-quality" in my sentence, so how you can derive that from what I said; I really don't know. I'm personally neither a fan or against Microsoft software. I have no choice but to support it anywhere I go and whatever job I do.

What are we going to do with you? Any takers?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums