back to article Facebook reveals plan for new archival data centre

Facebook has discussed details of a new data centre it is building to house photos nobody looks at any more. The Social Network TM already has two data centres in the spot the new one will splash down, namely the town of Prineville, Oregon. Facebook's going back to Prineville because the town's altitude and climate mean its air …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

photos nobody looks at any more

What photos are these, and to whom do they belong? From the article, I'm just not getting any idea of what this thing is really about.

Silver badge

Seems very sensible

I'm sure many large sites could benefit from a similar approach - how often do I look at my 5-year-old google mails f'rinstance? (Oops, I forgot, I suppose the CIA looks at them daily) And large digital imaging projects like the Welsh Newspapers Online that the National Library are about to launch - many terabytes but they won't all be accessed every week.

But what sort of latency are we talking about to spin up and retrieve something in the archive ? 10 seconds? Are others working on offering a similar setup for a home/SME NAS box?

Anonymous Coward

Interesting timing..

.. while Europe is doing battle with the US about the right to be forgotten.

I guess the [CENSORED] doesn't like to lose that data - agencies are like that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums